Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 01:32 AM
JDMStanced
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax question

For the first time i think i'll try waxing my car lol
let me list some questions i have
Who makes Wax that has UV protection? i need to use this on my carbon hood.
Should i get wax that is liquid or quick spray wax that you just wipe off easily?
What type of wax should i get? (sealant, and stuff like that.)

any tips on waxing a car would help
Old 07-18-11, 05:24 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Ok, My thoughts.

First step is to be sure the paint is clean. This means a good two bucket wash method with a measured amount of car wash soap, not dish washing detergent, and impecably clean wash mitts and drying towels.

Second, claying is likely a good idea. Whether new or old, a car usually can benefit from claying the paint to remove any bonded contamination. This will make the wax or sealant stick better and last longer.

Third, if you have any swirls, you should consider a polish to remove them. Polishing is a lot of work by hand so consider if you need a DA. If you have a darker color these swirls will more easily show. A good DA is likely the best investment you can make for a darker color car.

All waxes and sealants offer some UV protection. But keep in mind that the coating you apply is micron thin and the real UV protection comes from your clear coat. Wax and sealants offer minimal UV protection. If you want good UV protection get a car cover.

I think the choice of wax vs. sealant is a personal preference. Liquid or paste makes no difference. As a group, sealants tend to give a more highly reflective shine while carnauba waxes tend to offer a deeper look. Its just up to you which look your prefer on certain colors. Sealants tend to last longer if applied properly. Carnaubas tend to protect better against acid rain, bird droppings and water spotting. You can have the best of both by applying a sealant and then the next day applying a "pure" wax, one that has no cleaners that could remove the sealant.

If you want to keep your ride looking its best, day-to-day and week-to-week, I'd suggest this tact.

As the car develops light dust and fingerprints, wipe it down with a good Quik Detailer and clean microfiber towels. About once a week, after a wash or QD, apply a gloss enhancing product like Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax (actually a synthetic sealant) to refresh the existing protection. This UQW will give you the best chance at UV protection over the longer term as you are reapplying it weekly. It is a wipe-on/wipe-off product so it only takes about 15 min. to cover the whole car. BTW, it has the RainX effect on glass and protects vinyl trim as well.

So there you have it, my opinion on how to care for your ride. Keep in mind that for every dozen detailers you ask, you will get a dozen different answers. The important thing to take away is to look for the products you enjoy using and that look good to your eye. Then keep you car clean and waxed regularly.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-18-11 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 06:31 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

klasse ftw
all-in-one and then the sealant
http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html
Old 07-22-11, 12:59 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab

First step is to be sure the paint is clean. This means a good two bucket wash method with a measured amount of car wash soap, not dish washing detergent
you shouldnt use dish soap given the fact it is a grease cutter and will strip wax.

if you plan on washing-claying-polishing-waxing, i reccomend using dish soap when washing prior to claying. it will remove grease and grime that car shampoo will not

when i clay my car i do not even use a clay lube, i use warm water mixed with dish soap
Old 07-22-11, 04:50 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
you shouldnt use dish soap given the fact it is a grease cutter and will strip wax.

if you plan on washing-claying-polishing-waxing, i reccomend using dish soap when washing prior to claying. it will remove grease and grime that car shampoo will not

when i clay my car i do not even use a clay lube, i use warm water mixed with dish soap
I can point you to this from Proctor and Gamble, arguably the largest manufacturer of dishwashing soap.

Ok to wash car?
Published 04/04/2002 01:15 PM | Updated 03/08/2011 11:25 AM
Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?
Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.
Source:http://dawn-dish.com/en_US/customersupport.do

I as a rule don't recommend that people use products that may harm their vehicles. If you think using dish soap as a clay lube is a good idea, go for it. It's your car and your decision.

If you are a reader of this thread, before you run off and grab that bottle of dishwashing soap, ask yourself why a manufacturer would, specifically and clearly, state that this use is not recommended. If they stated that their dishwashing product was a great car wash they would probably sell more of it, yet they say "not recommended." If their lab testing showed that it was good they would say so. Is it the harsh detergents and salts, the high alkaline level (pH9) or the lack of lubricants? They don't say but admit cleaning grease and food off of a dinner plate is much different than cleaning dirt off of micron thin, highly polished, delicate painted surfaces.

Finally, repeated the use of this highly aklaline product can cause rubber and vinyl to dry and deteriorate. FWIW, the pH scale is logarithmic with each base number being 10 time more than the previous. pH9 is 100 time more alkaline than pH7 (neutral).

But, like I stated earlier, it's your car and your choice. Make an informed choice
Old 07-24-11, 02:09 PM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

I have used many but agree that the Klasse Kit, containing Klasse All In One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze used after clay provides a deep, wet looking, long lasting finish. The kit can be found for about $50 including postage.
Old 07-24-11, 04:59 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, he's going to be waxing his car for the first time... Not quite the time to tell him to get a DA out already lol.

I would also recommend an All in One Product since you are just getting into detailing. Once you buy a more and more products you can do these multi step complex details, or just pay a professional.

If you want to do it right than I would buy
Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Meguiars Ultimate Wax
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax or Detailer.

1. Wash
2. Clay (if necessary) UC
3. UP
4. UW
6. UQW
Old 07-25-11, 12:36 AM
JDMStanced
Rookie

thanks for replies

i picked up a 6 pack of smart wax stuff. Wax, sealant, dressing, and everything i need now.
i didn't have time to wax the whole car but i used sealant on my carbon hood. Two layers.
It's crazy shiny now lol.

I wish i get rid of strong water stains on rims! cause they just kill the clean look
Old 08-01-11, 10:38 AM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

Try Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner. I do not know if it will get rid of imbedded stains such as acid rain, but it is an excellent cleaner.
Old 08-01-11, 03:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

i got some detailing products for sale that are either fairly used or new. PM me if interested.