Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

White wax reidue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 06:40 PM
GRANITE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White wax reidue

Any suggestions ... how to remove the white wax residue from the black plastic/rubber. Particular problem areas are the rear bumper step and the windshield gasket. Thanks
Old 07-24-11, 07:24 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pink eraser. its one of those old detailer tricks.
Old 07-24-11, 07:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
pink eraser. its one of those old detailer tricks.
Wow really? I'll have to try that one day if you're being serious.

I know old wax residue is a PITA to remove from any type of soft surface like rubber and vinyl trim around windows or sunroof.

When I polish stuff like taillights to get rid of swirls, you almost always have compound and polish residue that is left embedded in the lettering of the part number. What work for me to remove it with ease is some IPA (17.5%..... add 8oz. of 70% rubbing alcohol into a 32oz. bottle to get that) and a microfiber towel. Using IPA and doing a wipedown will quickly remove wax and polish residue from hard plastics and paint. I haven't tried it on rubber yet.
Old 07-25-11, 09:22 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Wow really? I'll have to try that one day if you're being serious.

I know old wax residue is a PITA to remove from any type of soft surface like rubber and vinyl trim around windows or sunroof.

When I polish stuff like taillights to get rid of swirls, you almost always have compound and polish residue that is left embedded in the lettering of the part number. What work for me to remove it with ease is some IPA (17.5%..... add 8oz. of 70% rubbing alcohol into a 32oz. bottle to get that) and a microfiber towel. Using IPA and doing a wipedown will quickly remove wax and polish residue from hard plastics and paint. I haven't tried it on rubber yet.
yeah im totally serious. its cheap enough so give it a try first. if it doesnt work out others may have suggestions.

also for the plastic taillight lettering you're talking about try a soft tooth brush. i had the same problem with the last wax i used. it really left alot of white dust/residue. toothbrush worked pretty good.
Old 07-25-11, 03:01 PM
eighty5iv
Driver School Candidate

what about APC and or Just a Quick Detailier? I noticed that using those on any surface that has been waxed, like most trim parts, plastics, and rubber worked well and gave it a matte and OEM look and not that "just been detailed and missed a spot" look.
Old 07-25-11, 06:21 PM
cptfaze1
Driver School Candidate

Takes ur friends toothbrush and a spray bottle with (warm water) spray first to soften up the wax, then brush section by section wipe clean and repeat if needed, take ur time.. The longer te wax has baking on there with the sun the harder it is to remove...
Old 07-25-11, 06:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
yeah im totally serious. its cheap enough so give it a try first. if it doesnt work out others may have suggestions.

also for the plastic taillight lettering you're talking about try a soft tooth brush. i had the same problem with the last wax i used. it really left alot of white dust/residue. toothbrush worked pretty good.
The problem with a toothbrush is that after you are finished correcting the taillights.... that harsh tooth brush will in fact put marring back into the plastic lens.

IPA and a soft microfiber works amazingly fast and will not mar anything.

Definitely gonna try that eraser idea some time!
Old 07-25-11, 10:46 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black works for me! :thumbsup: .. gives it the new plastic luster as well.
Old 07-26-11, 04:50 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This should work for you: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...er+8+ounces.do
I have used many of their products before and they work great.
Old 07-26-11, 08:59 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

cant hurt to try IPA wipes. cuts through wax with EASE.. dunno about on rubber surfaces.