Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Freshly painted GS....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 02:38 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freshly painted GS....

What would you guys recommend i do to my freshly repainted GS300 to keep the paint from getting messed up?
Old 09-19-02, 02:43 PM
1loudlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Wash it!!!

Adam
Old 09-19-02, 02:47 PM
2Lexos

i'm going to wash out your dirty little mouth with soap when i see you on sat
Old 09-19-02, 02:54 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What color is your new paint?

Don't do anything until you talk to the painter(s). You have the opportunity to make your Lexus beautiful for a long time...and, unfortunately, an equal opportunity to screw it up and live with it.

PLEASE: DO NOT TAKE IT TO AN AUTOMATIC CAR WASH or even
a jet-spray wash.

Get these answers:

When will the paint be thoroughly cured?
When will it be safe to wash?
When will it be safe to apply protectant (polish/sealant/wax)?

Get these answers...then we'll talk.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 09-19-02 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 11:06 PM
2Lexos

cool...i'll call the shop tomorrow morning...luckily i haven't washed it yet. but the one thing i can tell you is that it's black and i have a veilside body kit on it. so i'll find out the answers to your other questions and then please tell how to handle this.....i'm not paying $$$$.$$ again!!
Old 09-19-02, 11:31 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Good...Don't touch the paint until you get all the answers you need about when you can touch the paint.

Try to keep it dry, too.

What's your budget like? Got $50...$100? Do you have a garage?

These early steps will make all the difference later.
Old 09-20-02, 03:42 AM
2Lexos

it's under a cover...and i figure i can spend about a $100 on supplies.....
Old 09-24-02, 07:37 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless they used some wacky type of paint it should be cured. I had some body work done on a car last year and every body shop said the new paints they use cure within 24 hours. These aren't like the older paints from the 80's that had to cure for 3 months. In fact, they waxed my car after the bumper was replaced and painted before I picked it up, still looks great! Most placed who tell you not to wax for 3 months (these days) do it so you won't find flaws and keep comming back driving them crazy saying there is a spot here, and a spot here, etc... This was told to me by 3 different body shops.

Fulmitz
Old 09-30-02, 07:11 AM
2Lexos

my car is ready for it's first wash and wax. what do i do? what do i use? please help....i'm not driving the car til i get this done.
Old 09-30-02, 09:51 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Examine the paint closely in bright sunlight and look for any defects, spider-webbing, swirls...Whatever. Get real **** here.

When you're ready, take off the cover and rinse it well. Use lots of water. Let it sit a couple minutes, then rinse it again, using lots of water. Then wash it gently with 2 buckets and 2 mitts. One bucket with 1 oz. Dawn liquid (the blue stuff) and clean water, and the other bucket with clean water. Wash with the Dawn and rinse your wash mitts in the clean water. Rinse again using lots of water.

Oh, yeah...One mitt for the roof hood, trunk and upper doors and quarter panels. The other mitt for the lower quarter panels. Don't ever mix them up and don't ever let them touch your wheels, wheel wells or tires.

Then use a Clay bar kit (Mothers or Clay Magic) to thoroughly clean the paint, then repeat the 2 bucket/2 mitt Dawn wash again to remove any clay residue and rinse it again, using lots of water. Dry completely with 100% cotton, Made in USA towels (Fieldcrest Charisma's). Don't scratch your paint with cheap imported cotton towels. They sometimes have polyester stitching.

Rest for a few minutes and then take some pictures. A clean new car finish is a thing of beauty, and besides, don't you want to see if all that money you spent on that paintjob was worth it?

Now that there's absolutely nothing between you and the finish, it's time to glaze and seal. Examine the paint again. It's time to seal it and protect it.

This is where you need to make a decision. How much time do you want to spend each month to keep this car looking great? Carnauba? Polymer? Acrylic? Had any thoughts on this?

I recommend the carnauba approach. I feel it's best on dark finishes, particularly black. You have to wax at least every 4-6 weeks, but the wax I recommend is so easy.

Call your local Harley Davidson shops and ask if they carry S100 Shine-Enhancing Cleanser ($8.95) and S100 Carnauba Paste Wax ($15).

I recommend first an application of S100 Shine-Enhancing Cleanser. If you cannot find this, use Meguiar's #5 New Car Glaze, Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze, or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze ($10). A very light coat applied with a terry applicator and wiped down with high quality microfiber towels or all-cotton towels. Think of this stuff as make-up for your car. It will highlight every curve and make the paint as shiny as it can be.

Follow up immediately with an application of S100 Carnauba Paste Wax ($15). It is amazing. The easiest wax I've ever applied or removed...Like butter. Apply it to a panel and immediately remove. Do not let it dry and haze up. Wait 24-36 hours and apply a second layer of wax. You will be extremely happy and you'll probably spend too much time looking at your car. People drool when they get near my paint.

Buy a car shampoo that says "Doesn't strip wax". I use Zip Wax. Cheap and sudsy. Never use Dawn liquid again on this finish...Unless you want to switch to a polymer or acrylic later. Just remove the Carnauba with a paint cleanser and dawn wash.

Afterthoughts...
Never rub/touch the paint unless you have to. Never rub the finish in a circular motion, always front to back. When removing wax, it's speed that counts, not pressure (Go faster, not harder). ...Get a California Car Duster. If you can't figure it out, practice using it on another car first. I use mine almost every day. Buy some good Microfiber towels and some quick detailer spray like The Wax Shop's Slick Stuff, Meguiar's Quik Detailer or Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection.

You can get a discount on these killer MF towels.

Here's your budget:
$9-10 Paint cleanser or glaze (You'll want the glaze later for sure).
$15 wax
$6 car shampoo
$10 California Car Duster
$26 10 PakShak MicroFiber towels/shipping
$20 100% cotton, Made in USA towels

A cloth car wash is not in your future. You have a black car. You are driving a labor of love. A black car is the graduate school of detailing. Enjoy. Wash, glaze, wax and post up some pics.
Old 09-30-02, 11:45 AM
2Lexos

thanks....i'm on my way to the store.....today is GS day!!
Old 10-01-02, 12:00 PM
2Lexos

well, after nine hours of TLC my GS looks beautiful. and my back is killing me......now that i've done the deed what do i do for up keep?
Old 10-01-02, 12:30 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Try not to let raindrops dry on the finish. Even a quick shot with the hose can help elminate acid raindrops. I usually drive for a mile to blow off the raindrops, then QD the car in 3-4 minutes.

If it's dry and dusty, I use California Car Duster and Quick Detailer spray every couple of days. Keeps my black RX looking great.

Wash it when you need to, and wax it every 4-6 weeks.

Relax...now post some pics of that black beauty!

Tell us about what you did yesterday.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-01-02 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 12:50 PM
2Lexos

i got the Zymol car wash and Wax, Meguiar's show car glaze and quik detailer, Mother's Clay Bar kit, towels, wash mitts, applicators, and mircrofiber thingys. and basically just followed all your directions on washing, claying, glazing, waxing. it was a pain in the buttocks for sure. but i love the results. i'll post pics in a few days cause i have to finish the film. thanks paddy wagon, you're my hero