Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

So some egged my car last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 06:40 AM
farcry80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So some egged my car last night

Was really pissed yesterday when I came home from work and found my 2007 RX350 egged on the drivers side passenger door. Man what a way to ruin an otherwise great day.

I doused it with water and used a little laundry detergent to clean it out. For the most part it all came out but where the egg impacted the door there are marks.

So for now I am wondering what my next step should be? Should I wax the car and if so what kind should I use?

I know I asked this here before but I think I'll buy a car cover. The problem is no one else in my apartment complex uses one and my wife thinks it'll make it more of a target than if I did not have one. What do you guys think?

Lastly my car is no virgin, meaning there are quite a few scartches and marks especially on the door that got egged. How feasible (i.e. cost) is it to get that repainted or replaced?

My wife couldnt understand why I was so pissed so it feels really good to come here and share my grief
Old 08-10-11, 06:58 AM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

If the scratches have not passed the clear coat,
I would suggest a 2-3 stage buff (220-370+ depending on your location).

That should easily take car of the scratches and marks made with the eggs.

The price mentioned above would be for the entire SUV.
Old 08-10-11, 08:12 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

where in NJ are u? got any pics of the other scratches? pm them to me.
Old 08-10-11, 10:25 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why laundry detergent LOL
Old 08-10-11, 11:33 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by farcry80
Was really pissed yesterday when I came home from work and found my 2007 RX350 egged on the drivers side passenger door. Man what a way to ruin an otherwise great day.

I doused it with water and used a little laundry detergent to clean it out. For the most part it all came out but where the egg impacted the door there are marks.

So for now I am wondering what my next step should be? Should I wax the car and if so what kind should I use?

I know I asked this here before but I think I'll buy a car cover. The problem is no one else in my apartment complex uses one and my wife thinks it'll make it more of a target than if I did not have one. What do you guys think?

Lastly my car is no virgin, meaning there are quite a few scartches and marks especially on the door that got egged. How feasible (i.e. cost) is it to get that repainted or replaced?

My wife couldnt understand why I was so pissed so it feels really good to come here and share my grief
After washing the car with a good recommended car wash, you should clay bar your car, and then try a high quality wax, like zaino. If you want to try a much less $ wax, try zymol (can be bought at walmart). I've used zymol a few times, and I've gotten very good results. If you do have a lot of scratches and you don't want to spend the time doing all this, as another member said, look for a good exterior car detailer.
Old 08-10-11, 11:51 AM
ligflava
Driver

I feel your pain. My barely two month old '11 RX was egged the night before, almost the same location as yours, but the eggs hit the glass first, rather than the paint so it didn't leave the tiny scratches.

Luckily it was discovered while some of the egg white was still wet, and much of it got washed off with a hose. There was some splatter which made it to the hood and it etched into the clear-bra.

For the deeper scratches from the egg shell impact, it'll be very difficult to get out. The etching into the paint from the egg white/yolk may polish out, but it'll take some time.

What color is the car?

Hope karma catches up with the losers who did it.
Old 08-23-11, 03:03 PM
mark1234
Driver School Candidate

wow - that rally sucks! People really egg cars? Never heard of that being common...knockon wood. would be very upsetting.

It scratches the finish and messes up the paint?

That really sucks - my main issue is getting the carpets completely clean. I looked into Minneapolis carpet cleaners and found one with really good ratings!

Last edited by mark1234; 09-18-11 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 06:41 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1234
wow - that rally sucks! People really egg cars? Never heard of that being common...knockon wood. would be very upsetting.

It scratches the finish and messes up the paint?
No it etches through the clearcoat and basically east away the clear like some bird droppings if left on too long. The problem with eggs is that they work alot faster than MOST bird droppings. So even if it got egged last night and you saw it first thing in the morning... it might be too late.
Old 08-31-11, 12:12 PM
viprtwo
Driver

My car has already been egged three times. I hope whom ever egged my car would die already.

The egg shell hitting a car moving at 40 mph cracks and the shattered eggshell pieces are very abrasive, cutting deep into the paint, leaving a circle mark of scratches about 1" in diameter.

If people drive by and egg your car while you are parked you get the momentum of their hand throwing the egg, along with the speed of the car.

I never had a problem removing the eggwhite or yolk, but the eggshell cracking the paint is VERY noticeable on a black car.
Old 08-31-11, 04:08 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

dam does insurance cover that?
Old 09-05-11, 09:49 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered getting a security video camera so you can catch them? Since they've done it more than once, they may come back. I saw some at Costco.com that has some decent reviews.