Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Whats a good car wash product?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 12:48 AM
oosoul
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good car wash product

Besides joy or zippo car wash/wax whats some more good car washing products?
Old 09-23-02, 09:17 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO ZipWax is a great product.

Joy or Dawn can strip wax off of your car. Unless you're prepared to wax again immediately, skip dish soap for washing your car.

What you need is good sudsing to lift dirt away and gentle cleansing to not strip wax. Most all of the Car wash products available in auto stores or the auto section at department stores fit the bill.

Some folks prefer to use the same brand wash as their wax, ie, Meguiar's, Mothers, Zaino, Pinnacle.

Meguiar's products are great. I've also used a product for a long time, Duragloss 901/903. It's one of my favorites.

But like I said...ZipWax is a great product. Great suds. Cleans well. Doesn't strip wax. Doesn't streak. Leaves a shine. Cheap. 1/2 gal. for $4.

I use it to wash all my outdoor stuff...Awnings, garage floor, siding, charcoal grill, lawn tractor and mower, patio furniture, heating oil tank... whatever.
Old 09-23-02, 04:54 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
IMO ZipWax is a great product.

Joy or Dawn can strip wax off of your car. Unless you're prepared to wax again immediately, skip dish soap for washing your car.

What you need is good sudsing to lift dirt away and gentle cleansing to not strip wax. Most all of the Car wash products available in auto stores or the auto section at department stores fit the bill.

Some folks prefer to use the same brand wash as their wax, ie, Meguiar's, Mothers, Zaino, Pinnacle.

Meguiar's products are great. I've also used a product for a long time, Duragloss 901/903. It's one of my favorites.

But like I said...ZipWax is a great product. Great suds. Cleans well. Doesn't strip wax. Doesn't streak. Leaves a shine. Cheap. 1/2 gal. for $4.

I use it to wash all my outdoor stuff...Awnings, garage floor, siding, charcoal grill, lawn tractor and mower, patio furniture, heating oil tank... whatever.
I use Zaino products for wax and wash products, but I once and a while use the Meguiar's brand for the wash
Old 09-29-02, 02:29 PM
PakShak
Driver School Candidate

Hello oosoul,

Since I have Zaino on my car, I use their car wash which I think is pretty good. When looking for a car wash shampoo, you have to know which one to get. When I say "which one" it all depends on what you have on your car. If you have wax on your car then you should pick-up a car wash shampoo with wax in it. Which helps prolong the wax that is on your car. If you have a polymer/sealant on your vehicle then you should pick-up car wash shampoo that does NOT have any wax in it. The reason being is that polymers/sealants and wax do not bond so basically future addtional layers of polymer/sealant will not adhere to the surface of your car because of the wax on the vehicle from the car wash shampoo.

For car wash shampoo's with wax content, I like EF.
For car wash shampoo's with no wax content, I like Zaino and Meguiar's Gold Glass Shampoo.

For a quick detailer which is great between washes I like Zaino or Meguiar's FI.

With Aloha,
Ranney
Old 10-01-02, 05:54 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

i'm using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo... it's great. before that, i was using PS21 Car Shampoo (nice, but pricey).
Old 10-10-02, 08:39 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I really like Mothers California Gold Car Wash liquid. Brings out that nice metallic pearl quality in the paint and it smells like a cherry Tootsie Pop.

I've never used Meguiar's car wash. I might try that one of these days.

Ral
Old 10-14-02, 04:22 PM
CMYGX470
Driver School Candidate

I prefer Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and Blackfire Gloss Shampoo
Old 10-19-02, 11:16 AM
LexFather

Eagle One is good too.
Old 11-14-02, 05:35 PM
ruki400
Pole Position

I like duragloss its very sudsy.
Old 11-14-02, 07:13 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

At the www.atopia.org site, you'll find most of them use Meguiars Gold Class. Can buy the gallon at Target for $9.99 (real cheap). I use that and Eimann Fabrik.