Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tire imprint on seat!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 07:37 PM
rukool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire imprint on seat!

I was so busy worrying about the mechanical end of the vehicle I purchased, I neglected to fully inspect the interior. They mounted new ties on the car, but when they were transporting them they threw them in the back seat!! The entire sidewall imprint is on the leather and I can't get it off! Both sides. I really need help. Tried goo-gone, fantastic, leather cleaner, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Tire imprint on seat!-seat-2.jpg   Tire imprint on seat!-seat.jpg  
Old 08-18-11, 07:53 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Try Magic Eraser. Spray some leather cleaner first before using. Don't rub too hard it may fade the leather.
Old 08-18-11, 08:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

You need to take the car back to "they" and insist that they clean, repair, or replace the damage to the seats. Not sure why you are accepting this issue as your problem. Worst case is that the whole back seat seat will have to be lightly sanded down and spray dyed.
Old 08-19-11, 02:38 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 273 Likes on 230 Posts

Goo-gone is definitely a no no for leather as it can eat through the dye. Nothing either than leather cleaner should be used and as previously mentioned, do not rub too hard as it can also remove the dye. I too would bring this back to the dealer as it should not be your reponsibility. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 08-19-11, 03:47 AM
64impalaSS
Driver School Candidate

Take it back, immediately. Who does that? What kind of professional business would do something like that. Unbelievable. It needs to be professionally cleaned and they may never get it looking correct.
Old 08-19-11, 04:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same in 2 small spots from transporting many a tire in my back seat. i always put them in huge garbage bags but in 2 separate spots the top of the bag must have fallen down a couple inches cuz now i have 2 1.5 - 2 inch very similar light sidewall imprints on my seats. 1 is on the back of the front seat on that hard plastic backing and i have tried leather cleaners to no end. i would like to try this magic eraser (my wife swears by them), but i do know first hand that they will eat through stuff if you press to hard.

i am almost scared to use the magic eraser cuz they will deff leave a lighter mark of their own if you press it down hard when cleaning. thanks for the tip though.
Old 08-19-11, 06:33 AM
JLAWS
Racer

i am almost scared to use the magic eraser cuz they will deff leave a lighter mark of their own if you press it down hard when cleaning. thanks for the tip though.[/QUOTE]

Spray Armorall on the spot before using the magic eraser. I had some pen marks on my leather seats and got them out completely
Old 08-19-11, 06:36 AM
JLAWS
Racer

i am almost scared to use the magic eraser cuz they will deff leave a lighter mark of their own if you press it down hard when cleaning. thanks for the tip though.

Spray Armorall, Pledge or equivalent on the spot before using the Magic eraser. I had some pen marks on my leather seats and got them out completely
Old 08-19-11, 07:11 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magic eraser is abrasive and will remove the leather coating if you press too hard.

try optimum power clean full strength first. Be careful if you spray it directly on the leather (don't let it run down vertical surfaces) and be sure to go over the area a few times afterwards with a damp microfibre to remove any residual opc.

also agree that if you did not do this, it is not your responsibility to fix it!

Last edited by embolism; 08-19-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:49 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't use the Magic Eraser on any part of the interior. Use a quality leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats to remove those marks. The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is one of my favorite combinations.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-19-11, 09:11 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

leatherique prestine clean. NUF SAY-D
Old 08-20-11, 03:38 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
I wouldn't use the Magic Eraser on any part of the interior. Use a quality leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats to remove those marks. The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is one of my favorite combinations.

Greg @ DI
are these ^ ^ ^ that much better than the regular old mothers or black magic leather cleaner stuff? cuz my normal black magic stuff didn't do anything at all to these 2 spots cept make them smell pretty.
Old 08-20-11, 05:41 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The dealer who caused this damage should be responsible for it.

I've seen this a few times before and I've never found any easy solution that works 100% of the time that wouldn't damage the leather. That stain is in the urethane paint on the leather. The best product I've found at removing stains like that without damage is Leather Master Super Remover.

If that fails, then to remove the stain you would need to sand off that stained paint. Depending on how deeply that stain has penetrated the topcoat, you would likely need to re-dye and respray the area and if you want the grain to match you need to use a grain mold. This is definitely not a DIY repair.

I'd press the dealer to take care of it. It may be cheaper to replace those covers. You might even find a set in a salvage yard.

Using a Magic Eraser may remove the stain but it will do so by damaging the leather and removing some of all of its topcoat. Just remember that the painted surface is what gives the leather its appearance, both in terms of uniform color and grain, and that paint is paper thin. The Magic Eraser is abrasive like sandpaper.
Old 08-21-11, 12:03 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sojah
are these ^ ^ ^ that much better than the regular old mothers or black magic leather cleaner stuff? cuz my normal black magic stuff didn't do anything at all to these 2 spots cept make them smell pretty.
Yes they are a much better cleaner and conditioner in my opinion. I'm not guaranteeing it will work but it's my go to product for a serious cleaning and conditioning. No artificial dyes, scents, etc. are used just the best all natural ingredients for the job at hand.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-22-11, 03:47 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

I think you have to use leather cleaner or vinegar.

Quick Reply: Tire imprint on seat!