Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

black vs. metalic black

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 08:02 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black vs. metalic black

I never have a black car. Thinking about purchasing a black or grey/ med silver car in near future.

What is the different between black vs. black metallic(obsidian) in upkeep, cleaning, and appearance? Which one look better?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-11, 08:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Regardless, of ANY Black type of paint, it will be extra hard to maintain a pristine clean, swirl-free shape. Some black are mixed with other colors and some black has metallic paint mixed to them that's how you see the sparkling metallic look out in the sun. Which one looks better? All personal preference. If you like the glittery look out in the sun, metallic black would be your choice.
Old 08-25-11, 09:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I really like pure black painjobs...no flake... non metallic. Looks SUPERB.

Metallic looks great on other colors, but black I prefer non-metallic. Like the onyx black, really beautiful when polished.
Old 08-26-11, 05:20 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Black isn't a color it's a Career

Before you purchase a black vehicle, ask yourself a couple questions.

1. How much time are you willing to spend keeping it looking showroom fresh?
2. How do you feel about driving around in a dirty looking car?
3. Do you own or are you willing to purchase a DA buffer and all the supplies to keep that black paint looking nice?

Black and other darker color cars are stunning immediately after a detail... for about an hour. That's when you will begin to notice the layer of dust accumulating on the paint. I got so sick of my black car that I used to keep it in the garage under a car cover and drove a beater just so I wouldn't have to go wash, polish and detail it again.

I hated the color for the time it took to maintain that showroom look. I must have been spending an hour after every short drive to QD and touch up the car. Swirls would form by just looking at it the wrong way. My problem was that I hated to drive a dirty looking car. Sadly black highlights any and all dust and defects and is nearly always in a dirty looking state.

IMO, Nothing looks sharper than a freshly detailed black car and nothing looks worse than a dirty black car. The problem is there are more days that it's dirty than clean, hence I hated the color. No other color shows dust, dirt water spots, swirls and scratches more than black. Its like black casts a spotlight on these problems.

Lighter colors are much more forgiving and medium colors are a decent compromise. I can keep them looking good with a simple weekly wash and UQW application. Maybe an hour a week tops. In general metallics make dust and defects slightly less obvious.

If you go with black, I wish you well. You will have an early occurrence of MPB (Male Pattern Baldness) as you tear your hair out so get a good hat and plenty of sunscreen. LOL
The following users liked this post:
benwah (03-06-24)
Old 08-26-11, 04:49 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I pretty much agree with Jim. I own an obsidian black car and it is a constant battle, if you will, to keep it looking clean. Owning a dual action buffer, although not a must, definitely makes life easier. I would consider Lexus obsidian to be a delicate paint as is shows swirls very easily. If you are careless when you wash it or you run it through a tunnel car wash with brushes and workers with dirty rags, expect the quality of the finish to diminish.

On the other hand, if you have the time, will power, education (car care) and experience, black can truly be amazing. When that clear coat is flawless and reflects like a mirror, there is nothing like it. If it's your daily driver you may not be happy if you don't work to maintain it. If a garage queen and with a little work, you may love it.

Black with metal flake or metallic would be the next step in less intensive care required. It hides swirls and light dust just a little. Silver is very nice. When polished up it looks great and maintains that appearance as it get slightly dirtier.

Jim hit the nail on the head and he knows what he is talking about. However, I detail cars as a hobby and most of my "clients" have black cars so I'm used to the work. I probably wouldn't buy anything but black again, however as I get older and less gun-ho, I can see silver in my future.
Old 08-26-11, 06:18 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for great advices. I think I will probably go with medium silver or grey metallic. Black is beautiful on somesone else's car, as long as I don't have to polish it. I currently have a white(starfire) lexus which I found dirty without weekly wash even though the car parks indoor at home and at work.
Old 08-26-11, 07:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Grey metallic gets my vote.
Old 08-26-11, 10:59 PM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

i also give the vote to grey matellic .