Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New RX: Which products to maintain look please ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11 | 11:53 AM
x10civ
Rookie

Default New RX: Which products to maintain look please ?

Which cleaners and wax products would be good for my new RX please?

Its a 077 white ( pearl white )

I apologize if this question has been asked before.
Old 09-02-11 | 01:17 PM
djkidkris
Driver

x10civ,

I don't think there is a straight forward answer to that. I also own an RX 350 and I have been reading, trying, and learning about all kinds of products tools and techniques for keeping my car looking clean and new as possible since I bought the car in May. It really depends on how much time and what your definition of maintaining the look means. As to my surprise detailing is a whole new world that I didn't know about and now am addicted to. At least for starters the following seems to be the basis for keeping your car looking new and clean.

1. Hand wash with a good car wash and wash mitt about once a week if possible and never take it to a car wash if u want to avoid scratched and paint imperfections (I use Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash and Meguiars Gold Class Wheel Cleaner)

2. Clay Bar when needed - about once every few months if your paint feels gritty to remove any bonded contaminants that did not wash off in the first wash (I use Mothers Clay bar system because I won it on this forum from Autogeek.net!)

3. Polish/clean/repair paint - the products used on this step really depends on how scratched up the paint is or if you even choose to do paint correction to remove swirls, scratches or imperfections. There are cleaner waxes available that combines this step and waxing in one and is nice for saving time but you wont get the amazing results you would get from breaking up the steps. Different polishes and compounds are available for different needs. (I've used Mothers Cleaner Wax because it was on sale but I intend to try Meguiars Ultimate Polish for my next full detail.)

4. Wax/sealant. Wax your car to ensure protection for your paint and from the sun's UV rays and to make maintenance easier in between washes. Waxes tend to last 4-6 months depending on brand and how its applied. These usually come in Paste or Liquid ( I plan on using Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax for my next full detail)

5. Maintain the protection by using quick detailing spray, and quick wax in between washes (I use Meguiars ultimate quick detailer and Ultimate Quick Wax)

I washed, clayed, polished, and waxed my car by hand about 2 weeks after I bought it so its never too soon to do so to ensure proper paint protection. This took me about 4 hours. Most of the products I bought from any auto store like autozone and from Target or Wal Mart. There are ton of products to choose from and a bunch of sponsoring vendors here on CL that could help you out as well and offer great products from novices to professionals. some people can do a detail in a few hours and some details can be a couple of days! So depending on how much time money and effort you want to put in to maintaing your car will determine what steps and what products you will want to use. I didn't even get into interior cleaning and maintaining yet. I'm not an expert at all and I still have a lot to learn but I figured I'd share my experience and what I've learned this far. Oh and on most forums everyone seems to stay away from Turtle wax products or armor all...I think again it depends on your time and money if you choose those products.

I just ordered a Porter Cable 7424xp Dual Action buffer kit from Autogeek.net and it just got REAL...LOL

Last edited by djkidkris; 09-02-11 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-02-11 | 03:28 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Wow - thanks for your reply djkidjris. I will invest some dollars into the Meguiars products then. Do you think the carnauba wax option is best?
Old 09-02-11 | 05:49 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by x10civ
Wow - thanks for your reply djkidjris. I will invest some dollars into the Meguiars products then. Do you think the carnauba wax option is best?
Gold Class Carnauba Plus is a good choice, for a bit more longevity folks like NXT Tech 2.0 for light colored cars. Both of these go on and off pretty easily in a manner considered traditional, wipe on wait 20 to 60 minutes and wipe off.

Meguiar's says their product with most longevity is Ultimate Wax. Ultimate Wax is a wipe on, wait 3-5 minutes and wipe off. It's a synthetic with a pretty heavy polymer load and it should be put on very thin.

Just remember the better the condition of your finish before waxing, the better the end result. djkidjris gave you some excellent advice.
Old 09-02-11 | 09:49 PM
CGDetail
Driver School Candidate

Have a look at this guide and I'm sure you will be a lot more knowledgeable afterwards regarding how to maintain your brand new car/investment.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
Old 09-02-11 | 10:35 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Check out Permanon, just wash, spray, wipe, done!
Old 09-11-11 | 11:26 AM
jlparker
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

many thanks as I was just putting some thoughts and questions together on this exact topic.
Old 09-11-11 | 11:55 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Congratulations on the new vehicle, I'd be happy to provide some recommendations to you. Caring for the vehicle right away will make future cleanings easier while the vehicle is looking great year round. Below are some of my favorite products for the steps I generally take when caring for a new vehicle.

Exterior Protection
Wash - Most swirls come from the washing and drying process so make sure you use good technique (see our detailing guide) and use quality products. If you need to upgrade all of your materials check out these three package deals:
DI Packages Foamaster II Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay - Is a great way to deep clean the paint and even most new vehicles can benefit from it. It's not a must have step but it certainly helps. If interested check out the directions in the Detailing Guide, but it's actually pretty easy. If interested check out this kit: DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Seal - Protecting the exterior right away will preserve the paint and make future cleanings easier. I highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond w/polycharger because it looks amazing, applies with ease and protects for months (4-6). I also use it on the headlights, exterior glass and wheels for added protection. You only need about 1 oz per coat for a medium size car so apply it nice and thin for best results. Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger). If you want to a layer a wax on top you can, it'll add more protection and gloss but it's not a must at all. If interested let me know and I'll provide you some recommendations.

Microfiber - Microfiber is paint safe and highly effective at removing the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, wax, etc. For this process I would suggest getting 3x - 6x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are also great for interior cleanings, apply protection, leather care, glass care and so much more!

Interior Protection
303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

If you follow these basic pre-cautions your vehicle will look great for years to come and keep the re-sale value up! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 09-11-11 | 12:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I can definitely vouch for Greg and DI. They've helped me keep my RX nice and shiny. And their detailing guide is the best. Not only do they say how to do it but what products to use with reviews. I've used about 90% of what Greg recommended and can say all of it's great stuff.