Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Cigars, Cigarettes, Tiparillos?
I smoke, but not in my Lexus
12.66%
I smoke in my Lexus and let others do it, too
14.18%
I smoke in in my Lexus, but no one else can
8.00%
I don't smoke, either in or out of my Lexus
4.36%
I don't smoke, and don't care if others do it in my Lexus
0.91%
I don't smoke, but I have rarely let others do it in my Lexus
2.33%
I don't smoke, and nobody smokes in my Lexus
37.89%
I don't smoke, and nobody should smoke around me
19.66%
Voters: 987. You may not vote on this poll

Smoking in Your Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 09:23 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have smoked in all my vehicles, except this one. The leather cars never smelled.

Main thing is the ashes, really makes things look bad after you just detailed it. So I am not smoking in this one at all. Going 2 months strong and all the effort I put into this vehicle outweighs the benefit of being able to enjoy a smoke in it.

Though key, if you do smoke in the car --Which 99.9% of anyone who smokes is going to. Do *NOT* use the ash trays. That is where the stench builds up. Always flick the butts out the window and ash out the window. This goes a long way in keeping or preventing permenant smell.

Now smoke can and does contaminate your headliner and so forth -- But a good steam clean can rid most of that. Any car I've sold has never had the sign that a smoker owned it for these simple reasons.
Old 04-02-08, 09:53 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Any car I've sold has never had the sign that a smoker owned it.
So you think. But I'll bet you a non-smoking buyer could smell telltale signs that someone had previously smoked in the car. Smokers have a hard time smelling cigarette smoke (you tend to become desensitized to it when you breathe it in constantly - I know, I used to smoke myself ) but someone who has never smoked or used to smoke but quit will tell you they can smell the faintest amount of cig smoke from quite a distance away.
Old 04-02-08, 10:21 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps,.. you are right smokers do become desensitized. It also doesn't help that nerve endings get damaged in our Olfactory and tongue areas. (Grow back within days of cessation of smoking) -- but while your smoking regularly your sense of smell and taste is very sub normal.

Any how,.. I do get non smokers to 'smell test it' and they say it smells great. So I take their word for it. If a buyer asks if someone smoked in it (never has) -- I will tell them yes.. but if the car smells pretty dang decent It never has been a deal breaker.

Though I've seen or rather smelt some cars that have nearly unremovable stench of smoke from Cigarettes or worse, Cigars. That is a deal breaker.

I helped my mother get a 2002 Monterro Limited in 2003 .. It was slightly used with 11k on the Odometer. But it had a very noticable Cigar smoke smell in it. I knew I could get it out with time, but the dealer had done what he could I'm sure. We managed to knock of 2,000 after negotiations just for the smoke. The dealer knew it was a major turn off. Apparently the guy who owned the car smoked cigars with the windows rolled up or something. lol.
Old 04-11-08, 02:33 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol if you pull up next to him you probably wont see him as he would be in a cloud of haze haha
Old 04-22-08, 06:48 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i smoke in my Lexus..but my car inside never smell like cig..good thing hhuh
Old 04-24-08, 03:40 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

No smoke in my Lexus. Period. Not even my "brother-from-another-mother" (my best friend since childhood) can smoke in the SC, I don't care that my Lexus is a '92. I smoke herb .... very often, not even that goes near my SC.

People need to understand that smoking is a personal prefrence. I'm a non-smoker of cigarettes and even I think people need to give them a break. No ones perfect.
Old 05-08-08, 03:37 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

been smokin since i was 2