Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Cigars, Cigarettes, Tiparillos?
I smoke, but not in my Lexus
12.66%
I smoke in my Lexus and let others do it, too
14.18%
I smoke in in my Lexus, but no one else can
8.00%
I don't smoke, either in or out of my Lexus
4.36%
I don't smoke, and don't care if others do it in my Lexus
0.91%
I don't smoke, but I have rarely let others do it in my Lexus
2.33%
I don't smoke, and nobody smokes in my Lexus
37.89%
I don't smoke, and nobody should smoke around me
19.66%
Voters: 987. You may not vote on this poll

Smoking in Your Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 04:55 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not smoke and can't imagine anyone smoking in such nice cars.

THe loaner cars usually stink from smoke, iiiccchh!
Old 01-26-03, 07:17 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not a smoker, but 95% of my friends are. I don't let any of them smoke in the car because it messes up the leather and stinks up the car.
Old 01-26-03, 04:58 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the people responding:

"I don't smoke, and nobody should smoke around me"

How many of you are ex-smokers?

Somehow having had the habit and taken the cure makes tobacco smoke smell double ugly!
Old 01-26-03, 05:48 PM
parula
Instructor

Never smoked, never will!

Fine domestic Cabernet is my only drug of choice!
Old 02-06-03, 04:26 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm... Yes I smoke, sometimes in the car (I'm one of those barely-smoke-in-confined-places kinda people ) depends if I'm in a *****e mood stuck in peak hour traffic... just can't help myself sometimes haha... but usually I don't smoke in the Soarer... even though when I bought the car the last owner left the cigarette scent lingering throughout the car... I've gone through around 6/7 air fresheners and have cleaned up the aircon filters but it still lingers
Old 02-06-03, 11:29 AM
BigD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on occasion i do... maybe if imm stuck in traffic and really pissed off or just havin a bad day.. but rarely i do.. i let other ppl smoke in the car tho but they kno ill kick their *** if they burn anything.. and my car doesnt smell of smoke since i open the windows all they way whenever anyones lighting up... and i dunno about you guys but doesnt it annoy the hell out of you if you ever light up and people purposely start coughing and fanning the air to make a scene... it gets me so mad i want to flip out... i could understand if i blew the smoke in your face but when i dont and im standing a resonable distance from you than its just infuriating

Last edited by BigD; 02-06-03 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-06-03, 01:28 PM
parula
Instructor

BigD, you need to realize that the smoke has a very strong, pungent and annoying odor to many who do not smoke and who may also be asthmatic and immediately affected by the smoke as am I.

So even if the smoker is not close to such people, the smoke causes a reaction, an emotional one perhaps, but also in my case and many people whom I know smoke causes a physiological reaction in the lungs as well. I can tell you truthfully that just inhaling a few whiffs of nearby secondhand smoke congests my lungs for hours though my prescribed bronchial dilater inhaler does help remedy the reaction somewhat.

Even sitting in a Lexus loaner or rental vehicle with remnant smoke odor will trigger the physiological reaction in my lungs. It's very real believe me and most annoying. This may explain why you see people further distancing themselves from you when you begin smoking nearby.
Old 02-06-03, 07:49 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting,

Parula I'm sure this doesn';t happen to all asthmatics? I used to suffer from light asthma but it's gone, I smoke and yeah... no reactions...

BigD, couldn't agree with you more... I don't mind people smoking in the car, but that's usually if I'm smoking as well haha... if basically the policy if someone wants to smoke in the Soarer, it's "you burn it, you pay for it" lol

One thing I DON'T let them do is ash in the car, even using the ashtray... which is the reason I usually don't smoke in the car, just find an ashtray outside so the car doesn't smell of cigarettes hehe...
Old 02-12-03, 10:45 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

I'm guilty of smoking and smoking in my lex. I tried to not smoke in my baby but it just didnt last, i commute in peak traffic hours and i am lucky to b in the car for less then 1 and a half hours 1 way to work and lucky if i'm not stuck in the car for 2 on the way home.

Boris
Old 02-12-03, 05:21 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm in the same boat as Parula

It hits me immediately and causes physiological reactions in my lungs and throat. I can actually get a sore throat similar to when you have a cold, just from breathing it for a minute. Been asthmatic since I was a kid too, sucks.
A lot of people I consider to be friends smoke too, so it makes it tough, because I have to walk away. Like the people , hate the smoke.
And no, none of my cars , including my Lex, are ever smoked in, nor ever will be.

I'm a detailer, and I can tell you firsthand, it's damn near impossible to eradicate completely.
Old 02-14-03, 07:17 AM
TXLeXTC
Driver

Any suggestions on how to get the smell out? I just quit and smoked at least 6/day in the GS. To long of a drive not too and then on short drives it became such a habit.
Old 02-14-03, 07:52 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key is to clean as much of the interior as possible. Unfortunately, tobacco smoke is pernicious. It can even get into the foam in your seats.

This will start you off...
· Clean all interior glass
· Clean/condition all vinyl surfaces
· Clean/condition all leather surfaces
· Vacuum and clean the carpets. After they dry, rub baking soda into them. Leave for 3-5 days, then vacuum again.
· Change your A/C cabin filter
· Buy a pint bottle of this to spray where you couldn't reach or clean...Under the seats and under the dash. Maybe lightly spritz the headliner: http://www.airsept.com/smoke.html
· Buy a couple cans of this stuff. Stick the hose down each vent, press the button and pull the hose slowly out of the vent to coat the insides of your vents. Also stick it up your A/C drain tube an foam your A/C condenser:
http://www.keep-it-kool.com/treat/treatment.html
· Take a look at this stuff, too:
http://www.kidsnpetsbrand.com/home.cfm

If all this fails, some detailers have ozone generators, but treatments can be expensive.

Good luck

Last edited by Daddy-O; 02-14-03 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-25-03, 04:06 PM
IS300_Chic
Driver

Smoking in the car leaves that smell for a long time. I dont smoke but thank god i dont got friends that do either. There is no way someone would get near my car witha lite cigeratte
Old 03-03-03, 01:45 PM
blux
Pole Position

Smoking is such an interesting topic, so many people do, yet so many people dont. I have probably only had 3 or 4 cigs in my life just because I was offered them or whatever. I think its kind of stupid to smoke, but sometimes it just looks cool....like in movies and stuff, I mean come on, name a movie that doesnt have some cool *** charecter smoking in it. Its like the tobacco companies are paying off producers to smoke in movies.

I think sooner or later more than half of the USAs population will be smokers, if not already. I dont plan on smoking in the future, it just seems like there are way to many side effects and expesnes, and with all of these target market comercials...they get yout hinking. I know lots of people that had smoked for like 15 - 20 years and just quit cold turkey, they say they still get cravings on a regular basis, I dont know if Id want somthing to take over my life like that, besides the fact that my girlfriend said shed leave me if I took it up! AHHHHH guess I know what I'll be doing!

As for smoke in my lexus, I bought it and it smelled like swisher sweets EHK, I can still smell them today after driving around all summer with the windows down. The inside glass was like coated with film, it was bad news...I dont think id let someome smoke in my car...I filp out if people touch the windows~!
Old 03-16-03, 02:18 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

No Smoking in my Lex or else its time for some

-Anthony

Quick Reply: Smoking in Your Lexus?