Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water etching on vinyl trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 08:29 PM
Atrain302
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water etching on vinyl trim

I have what appears to be some water etching marks on the vinyl trim at the bottom of my windows. I tried 303 Aerospace and it had no effect. Can anyone suggest any other products that will remove these marks?
Old 09-09-11, 06:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I recently mentioned in another thread [https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...bber-seal.html] that I've had really good long term results using Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner (M40). The photo in that thread is of the trim on my 20 year old Toyota MR2. This was a daily driver for most of the last 20 years so you can see that it has protected quite well. Apply with a foam pad or terry covered pad if more cleaning is needed. Be sure to buff well or some running will be visible in the rain. Meg's also make a Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner that has more aggressive cleaners if needed, Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner (M39). You likely would need to mail order these. One or more of our supporting vendors here may carry them and they offer a Club Lexus discount.

Additionally, I'd also add that these days I've taken to using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) on the complete exterior of my vehicles after every wash. This is a non-staining, non streaking, wipe-on / wipe-off polymer sealant that leaves long lasting protection and good looking gloss on all that you apply it to. It works on glass leaving RainX like characteristics and doesn't streak. It works on vinyl, including textured vinyl. It doesn't dry white, is non-staining and it leaves protection that won't run down the side of the car if it gets rained on. It also is good on paint and refreshes any wax or sealant you have applied. You can cover the whole car in about 10 minutes. Since it doesn't' dry white, it is great around seams and emblems too. Clearly, its one of my favorite new products.
Old 09-12-11, 02:20 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meguiar's every car care product is good.
Old 09-18-11, 09:32 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Old remedy is baking soda w/water or club soda to make a paste.

To just cover, use Black Again.