Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

[Paint Oxidation?]

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 09:47 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy [Paint Oxidation?]

I am not sure what this is. is this whats called paint oxidation? it doesn't feel rough or anything, feel just as smooth like the rest of it. its not peeling. not sure what happen, been told because of heat and cold change. anyone know how to take care of this? appreciate it fellas.

This is mostly on top of the car, expose more from the sun, hood, roof and part of trunk. Few people said, wax and claybar wont fix this. did a search here and my.is, something about vinegar, i dont think i want to try that. any suggestion?

if there a local professional detailer/shop in Duluth, GA 30096 area that can take care of this, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails [Paint Oxidation?]-img_20110910_184314.jpg   [Paint Oxidation?]-img_20110910_184219.jpg   [Paint Oxidation?]-img_20110910_184305.jpg   [Paint Oxidation?]-img_20110910_184250.jpg   [Paint Oxidation?]-img_20110910_184228.jpg  

Old 09-11-11, 10:24 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ehow.com/how_5238403_remo...ars-paint.html

Here you go... Good luck, sucks to see this on a car so new.
Old 09-12-11, 09:05 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks to me like clearcoat failure. My IS had a couple spots on the hood despite being polished and protected regularly.
Old 09-12-11, 03:10 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2slixx
Good link!

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
Looks to me like clearcoat failure. My IS had a couple spots on the hood despite being polished and protected regularly.
You're right, it's the clearcoat. I would recommend bringing your hood to the paint shop.
They will charge you probably $100 to sand and re-apply clear coat for the hood. Maybe a little more expensive for the roof.
I have kind of the same thing, my carbon fiber hood looks foggy, I have to get it sanded and re-clear coated too.
Old 09-13-11, 09:27 AM
itr206
Rookie

I have like 1-2 small spots like that on my roof. Figured it was clear coat failure.
Old 09-13-11, 11:33 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

i dont think thats oxidation. but you can try clay baring the car. at ths point it may not hurt.

maybe you should try asking in the "Automotive Care & Detailing" section
Old 09-13-11, 01:57 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

will do, thx
Old 09-13-11, 02:14 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Oxidation can also be a problem for car owners, since the outermost layers of paint are constantly exposed to air and water. If the car's outer finish is not protected by a wax coating or polyurethane, the oxygen molecules in the air will eventually start interacting with the paint. As the oxygen burns up the free radicals contained in the paint, the finish becomes duller and duller. Restoration efforts may include removing several layers of affected paint and reapplying a new layer of protectant. This is why professional car detailers recommend at least one layer of wax or other protectant be used every time the car is washed.

The secret of preventing oxidation caused by oxygen is to provide a layer of protection between the exposed material and the air. This could mean a wax or polyurethane coating on a car, a layer of paint on metal objects or a quick spray of an anti-oxidant, like lemon juice, on exposed fruit. Destructive oxidation cannot occur if the oxygen cannot penetrate a surface to reach the free radicals it craves.

This is why stainless steel doesn't rust and ordinary steel does. The stainless steel has a thin coating of another metal which does not contain free radicals. Regular steel may be painted for protection against oxidation, but oxygen can still exploit any opening, no matter how small. This is why you may find a painted metal bicycle still damaged by rust.
Old 09-13-11, 02:17 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baadhabit
i dont think thats oxidation. but you can try clay baring the car. at ths point it may not hurt.

maybe you should try asking in the "Automotive Care & Detailing" section
Nah that won't work.
Look at all the 80's cars, they had this oxidation pretty badly.
Only way is to sand and respray.

A way to prevent this is to wax your car more often, especially if you leave your car outside exposed to the weather. Or just get a white car, you won't notice it!!!
Old 09-13-11, 02:22 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

when i bought it, it was okay. hand wash the car and hand dry once a month. havent had the chance to clay bar/wax the car thoroughly with a busy schedule and rain here and then. i use the tunnel wash maybe twice since i own the car in 6 months.
Old 09-16-11, 06:03 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Could be clear coat failure but I'd like to see what happens if you hit a small spot with a cleaner wax on a foam pad. From the photo and what you describe I'm not 100% sure that it is normal cc failure. If you could take a close up before and after photo of a spot that you use a cleaner wax on. Place a penny on the paint to help the camera focus and try to take the photo in full sunlight. If your camera has a macro ability use it to get close and look for ridges or edges surrounding the areas of light and dark.

From the images it looks as if the clear coat and base coat are separating but that the CC is intact. This is unusual and I'd have to ask if you know the history of the car. Was it repainted? I need to see a better photo of the damage but it looks like the car was over polished at some time, leading to CC failure and was resprayed with clear without proper prep.

I'm betting that is the case. You might take it to a body shop and have a painter give you an estimate for repair. If the car isn't that old, a repair may be a good investment.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-16-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 02:00 PM
dsouthmia0
Pole Position

IT IS CLEAR COAT FAILURE, I would respray. Trying to fix will just be temporary and lead to wasted money. The clear already separated from the paint. save up and spray the whole car since its already started and most likely will start in other places ontop of the car
Old 09-19-11, 08:55 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2slixx

Thx everyone. I got more reply here than the auto detail section.Did this with meguiars wash,clay,wax kit. Made the paint smoother but its still tthere. Did it per instruction. Going to a body shop, ask for clear spray. Hope they don't charge arm and a leg. Anyone know how much I should expect?
Old 09-20-11, 05:08 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llllllllll
You're right, it's the clearcoat. I would recommend bringing your hood to the paint shop.
They will charge you probably $100 to sand and re-apply clear coat for the hood. Maybe a little more expensive for the roof.
^^ See what I said earlier

As I mentioned earlier, probably about $100 maybe less to sand and respray your hood.
Roof might be $100 also, maybe a little more because it is up high so it's kind of a pain to reach.
And they have to mask off your sunroof and windows/mouldings, doors etc, and blend it to match your paint so there are no seams.

If you ask me, I'd say just do the hood because it is probably more visible/noticeable than the roof...
And besides... No one is going to be looking at your roof.. My car is slammed and I am 6'2" and i never see my roof.
Old 09-20-11, 05:55 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

thank you. guess 100 is not bad, going to ask about the roof and trunk. theres some there too. going to ask few body shop.

Quick Reply: [Paint Oxidation?]