Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tooluxe TL-10664 Rechargeable Random Orbital?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 08:49 AM
inventurou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tooluxe TL-10664 Rechargeable Random Orbital?

It's the convenience more than the price that appeals to me (although it's only $40). Has anyone used these? Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P5416M/
Old 09-14-11, 09:27 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I say stick with what has been tried and true. The Porter Cable series have been nothing but excellent since I started using it years ago. I'd imagine you'd be spending a few days on the car due to how long the battery lasts. It might be good for quick touch ups but itll be a chore for full polishing in my opinion
Old 09-14-11, 11:22 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the PC7424 and it died on me..When I use it longer than 5 minutes it over heats to the point where it burns your finger just touching it.

POS!!!
Old 09-15-11, 03:13 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I got the PC7424 and it died on me..When I use it longer than 5 minutes it over heats to the point where it burns your finger just touching it.

POS!!!
Is it still under warranty? What gauge extension cord are you using? What pad and product? What speed setting.

I have a couple Porter-Cables, if I work them hard only the collar around the counterweight gets hot to the touch. Normally I'm only working a two foot by two foot area. Too small to heat up a PC, especially on delicate Lexus paint. Although speed 6 might warm it up pretty quickly.
Old 09-15-11, 03:18 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by inventurou
It's the convenience more than the price that appeals to me (although it's only $40). Has anyone used these? Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P5416M/
I agree with eyezack, probably only good for waxing, not corrective work. It's not dual action.
Old 09-15-11, 06:30 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default My Conclusions

My opinions on DA's based on models I've actuarially used. There are only three DA's that stand out for me and are units I'd consider purchasing today, Griots Garage Random Orbital, Porter Cable 7424XP and the Meguiar's G110 V2.

Of the three models, the GG was the more powerful but it's also noticeably heavier (not a lot but you can feel the weight after a couple hours) and it draws 7 Amps as opposed to the other two which are around 4-4.5 Amps (hence the more power in the GG) The extra power is useful if you regularly need to work on a badly maintained vehicles that need a lot of correction, otherwise, the G110 V2 or the PC are easier to use. All three have adequate power to perform flawless paint correction.

Based on reliability history, Porter-Cable has a better reputation but I'm not sure that is warranted any longer as these are all new(er) models and are now all made in China. (My old PC 7336 is 15 years old, was made in the US and still works perfectly) The PC's reputation was derived from US made models of years past so I can't really give an edge to reliability until we see how these new models fare.

The GG was much noisier than the others. I didn't have a sound meter handy to measure this. The G110 V2 was the quietest. As I only had access one unit from each, I can't account for whether the noise was unit specific but the GG was a lot noisier than the other two. So noisy that I wish I had some ear protection.

I should also add that since the introduction of Meguiar's Microfiber pads, the DA now has as much cutting ability as my Makita 9227C rotary. The point is that all three have more than enough power, especially with these MF pads, to remove any defects that are correctable. If you take power off the table, then comfort and quietness factor more into my decision.

My conclusion, If I were to buy a new DA today I'd go with either the Meg's G110 V2 or the PC7424XP . The G110 V2 was the most comfortable to use but much depends on individual user preferences. The G110 would be my choice of the three as I typically only work on newer, well maintained vehicles, I occasionally wind up correcting two in a day so comfort and quietness are highly important to me. I'm also getting arthritis in my hands so comfort is of paramount concern in my decision.

Those cheap, under $50, buffers are not worth the money and will wind up sitting on the shelf after the first couple times you use them. They simply don't have the power needed to perform paint correction. Many don't accept other pads and backing plates and are just relegated to applying and removing wax. If you car is properly prepped, applying and removing wax by hand is easy. Contrary to what many think, wax is not what makes your car shine, it's the prep and for that you need to polish paint.
Old 09-15-11, 08:56 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350

POS!!!
And the one I had was a miracle product huh? I logged well over 200 hours of hard work on it. Melting 4 backing plates and eventually snapping the rotating shaft in two. I had it taken care under warranty and its been logging countless hours since then. Mind you, no one in their right mind would put it through its paces like I would but it is a good product. You just had a bad apple thats all
Old 09-16-11, 05:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

@ smokyis350

As I alluded to in my prior post I bought my PC, a Meguiars G100 (rebadged PC 7336) back in March of 1995. Its seen several vehicles a week for a good deal of it's 16 year life. I'd estimate that the total details it has seen number in the thousands. The tool get's maintenance every year or two by an authorized service center (owned by a HS buddy). It's had several sets of brushes and one or two power cords plus a power switch but that's all. I'd call the thing a benchmark in durability. The G100 came with a lifetime replacement guarantee from Meguiar's at the time and so I retained the box and receipt in case it failed. It never has and I am beginning to believe it may outlast me.

Often time overheating like you described will occur from using it with a long low gauge extension cord or having inadequate wiring in the outlet(s) where it is used. Electric motors are quite sensitive to this. Try it in an outlet close to the power distribution box all by itself and see of it still overheats. If it does, most ACE hardware stores are authorized service centers for Porter-Cable. Take it in for an inspection. The devices should be inspected, cleaned and re-lubricated periodically as noted in the owners manual.