Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Preserver

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-02, 08:15 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Leather Preserver

Want to keep your leather in good shape, I found something that if applied regularly will keep your leather looking like the day you bought the car. It’s called neatsfoot oil and you can find it at stores that sell saddlery (saddles for horses) or leather stores. I myself had to drive to new berry park and that where I found a store that sold it. But depending on where u live just call 411 or something. As long as you put this oil on every month or two your leather will look immaculate.
Old 09-29-02, 09:10 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lexiss_sc400,

I'm not flaming...just disagreeing.

Neatsfoot oil (a fatty oil obtained by boiling cattle bones) is the only product I ever used on my fielder's gloves and catcher's mitts throughout my amateur baseball career. It's excellent on non-coated leather and leather that spends time in the elements and leather that must withstand weathering.

Most leather seats in cars today are coated, but still breathe. Neatsfoot oil can damage that coating by clogging the pores of the leather. It's not a cleaner and it can actually attract more dirt, especially in seams and pores. It can also darken or discolor leather, particularly if it's worn or cracked.

The key is to keep your leather clean after exposure to perspiration salts and general grime. You have to wash these contaminants from the pores of the leather with a cleaner that has the proper pH. Then follow up with a mild leather conditioner.

Now...replace the word "leather" with the word "skin" in the sentence above. Make sense?

After all, leather is skin. It was once used to keep the insides of a cow from falling out. I use and recommend Lexol products. They are mild and work beautifully. Get them at Pep Boys.
Old 10-09-02, 10:54 PM
yasir
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 Camry V6-XLE with 120,000 miles and the leather looks just like brand new,always used Lexol products.
later, Yasir