Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My first dark colored car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-02, 10:45 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first dark colored car...

As I posted in the ES forum, I'm taking delivery of a 2003 ES300 in black garnet pearl (dark dark red) with a black interior in a few weeks. Now, I've had dark iinteriors, so I know how to care for them, but I have never had a dark colored car, they've always scared me off. I like a clean car, and one that looks more or less clean even if its not so I like silvers etc. I'm coming off a white Explorer Limited, and I use an automatic carwash so I guess those days are done huh? If you really look at it it does have swirls, as well as some odd straign scratches on the top, thanks to the automatic wash. Because its white you really can't tell though. That would look horrible on my new garnet Lexus though.

What I'm asking is, how do I wash this thing without scratching the hell out of it, and how hard is it really to hide little scratches that occur as a car ages? I have a california water blade, a spun gold wash mitt etc, what other things do I need to buy, what carwash soap is best? Whats the best way to dry it? I'm also a Zaino user, and I'm sure it'll really bring out the luster in my new car. Is it okay to use a california car duster etc?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!
Old 09-29-02, 11:38 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SW03ES,
Welcome to ClubLexus.

Please do not let the dealer touch the paint. Let them remove the plastic, but do not allow them to wash or wax this car. Have the sales rep put it in writing. I'm serious here. Do not let the dealer touch the paint.

Examine the paint closely in bright sunlight and look for any defects, spider-webbing, swirls, factory blems...Whatever. Get real **** here.

If you're a Zaino user, then use nothing but Zaino products, including the car wash. Write Sal Zaino an e-mail and ask his opinion of how you should Zaino your new ES paint.

When you get the ES, take it home and rinse it well. Use lots of water. Let it sit a couple minutes, then rinse it again, using lots of water. Then wash it gently with 2 buckets and 2 mitts. One clean water bucket, one bucket with 1 oz. Dawn liquid and water. Wash with the dawn and rinse your wash mitts in the clean water. Rinse the ES again using lots of water.

Oh, yeah...One mitt for the roof hood, trunk and upper doors and quarter panels. The other mitt for the lower quarter panels. Don't ever mix them up and don't ever let them touch your wheels, wheel wells or tires.

Then use the Zaino Z-18 Clay bar with Z6 spray to thoroughly clean the paint, then repeat the 2 bucket/2 mitt Dawn wash again to remove any clay residue and rinse it again, using lots of water. Dry completely with 100% cotton towels (Fieldcrest Charisma's). Rest for a few minutes and then take some pictures. A clean new car is a thing of beauty, and besides, don't you want to see if all that money you spent on Zaino was worth it?

Now that there's absolutely nothing between you and the clear-coat, proceed with the Zaino polishing routine that Sal Zaino recommended for a vehicle that's never been Zainoed.

Afterthoughts...
Never rub the finish in a circular motion. Always front to back. Never rub the paint unless you have to...Yes, get a California Car Duster. If you can't figure it out, practice using it on another car first. I use mine almost every day. Buy some good Microfiber towels.

You can get a discount on these killer towels.

And yes, you are correct. A cloth car wash is not in your future. While you will not have a black car, you're as close as it gets with the Black Garnet Pearl ES 300. That was the car I passed over for my Black RX 300 last April. I had been driving sedans for years and I just wanted to sit higher up this time. You are leasing a labor of love.

Whew! Finally, I hope you have a garage for this beauty. Good luck.

PS, Get the Lexus rep to throw in some touch-up paint for free.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 09-29-02 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 12:19 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I was hoping you'd respond, I've read some of your other posts and you really seem to know what you're talking about, I appreciate the advice! I have been using the california duster for quite some time. Do you think I should get a new one? I've heard they get better with age...

Good advice about not letting the dealer touch the paint, not even for a wash huh? I had also heard about using two mitts.

I'll make sure to buy me some new towels, a couple of new wash mitts and a fresh order of Zaino (the Explorer really sucks it up big time) before I get it in. Now all I have to do is plop my $500 down and it'll be 10 days...

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-30-02, 12:45 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

New Car Duster? They do get better with age, but I limit my usage to one year. Simply because it's an easy way for my kid to figure out what to get me for Christmas. I move the old one to the garage and the one that was in the garage gets laundered and passed to the first friend/relative that comes to see me after the holidays.

Why not get a new one specifically for your new car? I use the plastic handle model in the black vinyl bag. $9.95 just about everywhere. When I get a new duster, after a few days on newspaper, I break it in by dusting the tops and backs of all the TV's and CRT's in the house.
Old 09-30-02, 04:01 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I'll get me a new one of those too.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-01-02, 07:12 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Hey Paddy, whoops I mean Daddy

I saw a sponge today that had a mesh covering on it thats supposed to scrape off bugs without scratiching the paint. How do you think this will work?
Old 10-01-02, 08:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Should be no problem...Just use it gently with car shampoo or
QD. You're looking for a little lubrication with that scrubber.
Old 10-01-02, 09:26 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Thanks again, and I like the new signature.
Old 10-10-02, 08:44 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my black Acura I had good luck using an Oxo car wash brush. It seemed to resist picking up particulate debris that can contribute to swirl marks. I still use it on my white Lexus.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=556

Other than that I can't really add anything to Paddy...I mean Daddy.

Ral
Old 10-10-02, 09:11 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Yes, an OXO brush is great, until your sister borrows it to clean her tires and then complains that you should replace that "limp tire brush" with something stronger....Grrr, Expensive, too.

I have some 100% cotton, Made in USA, hand towels for heavy bug splat on the grille. Mostly, I use Viking 100% cotton chenille wash mitts. They rock. They hold lots 'o suds and rinse clean. Throw them in the washer anytime. Get them at any chain auto store.

They are cheap and generally distinguishable from tire brushes.