Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

“Touch of Class” paint protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 02:51 AM
Midian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default “Touch of Class” paint protection?

Does any one know what the “Touch of Class” paint protection sold at Lexus dealerships is? The product I purchased is reapplied every 5 years and comes with a 10 year guarantee against fading, staining, peeling, etc. Most impressive of all, the product guarantees that tree sap will not damage the paint with this product applied. I am just curious, what is this miracle product, how does it work, and can it be purchased separately?
Old 09-30-02, 08:32 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lexus dealer offered me some sort of "guaranteed" paint protection like "Touch of Class" (with Teflon!), but I had to buy it before I left the lot with my new RX 300. They also made the same type of offer on a similar "guaranteed" product for the interior.

Some amazing tales were offered up of how people had damaged their finishes and interiors, and how these products allowed people to get a "Like new" repair at no cost.

The stories were of some pretty stupid people, including a woman who had knocked over a deep fat fryer she was carrying on the back seat. She got a whole new carpet because of this guarantee. I guess these stories were supposed to worry me into buying this stuff. Oh, these stories also came from the rep that was trying to sell me wind deflectors, gold badging, chrome wheels and a bra for my RX. I just sat there and repeatedly uttered the words "No thanks".

I guess I should have bought this miracle stain repellent, as I'd like to go make french fries at a friends house...NOT!

I didn't even by the extended warranty. They must hate me...

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-01-02 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-26-09, 02:48 AM
Lexus x 5
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a certified GS400 from Lexus and had the Permaplate product installed by Lexus. It was the predecessor to Touch of Class. The black paint on my GS did not hold up well after a few years and had some places where the paint came off. The claims agent Lexus Finance sent out to look at the car said they were not responsible and bird dropping had caused the damage. I really question paying big bucks for these add-ons at the dealer sold by the Finance Department when they do not back up the products. That Lexus dealer does not sell either of these products now. No reason given.
Old 09-26-09, 04:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

These are basically insurance programs and not good ones at that. There is nothing you can apply to your paint that will make it impervious to normal wear for 5 years, or more than one year for that matter.

Just like aftermarket undercoating, this is just another way for a dealership to make money on gullible car buyers.

Care for your car regularly and it will last a long time and at much less cost.
Old 09-26-09, 08:41 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys please please don't waste your money on these things. It's nothing more than sealants that cost the dealer a few bucks and a few more buck of labor to apply. I think all-in-all it cost them $10-15...the only thing I would consider would be their interior warranty in case the leather is torn or you spill wine, etc. I cannot belive the BS they feed people about these "no wax needed" and "guaranteed" this or that. Save your money to spend on better things.
Old 09-26-09, 12:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

finance departments are notorious for trying to tack on more unnecessary charges. its a shame that even lexus departments feel the need to exploit the consumer mind into purchasing something that can easily be done with a little elbow grease, time, and enthusiasm for your own ride.
Old 09-26-09, 05:34 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
finance departments are notorious for trying to tack on more unnecessary charges. its a shame that even lexus departments feel the need to exploit the consumer mind into purchasing something that can easily be done with a little elbow grease, time, and enthusiasm for your own ride.
Unfortunately, car salesman will always be that no matter what brand they sell. It's just another commodity to most at the dealership.
Old 09-27-09, 11:18 PM
Olskool53
Driver School Candidate

These packages offered by the 'Stealer" are nothing but Smoke and Mirror tactics. As mentioned by others they generally cost about $12.00 - $15.00 in product costs and the rest in labor for the application. It all adds up to a larger profit and commission for the finance department and salesman. Nothing out there can guarantee your paint to be inpervious to everything and or all the elements and contaminants. For the same reason snake oil doesnt exsist and buyer beware. I do agree on the interior warranty if your not certain that you can care for your cars interior on a regular basis. Tears, rips or colored drinks spilling can discolor carpets and upholstery. Therefore the replacement cost can get expensive. I usually recommend to my customers that they outfit their vehicles with protective flooring such as "Husky Liner" or similar products in case of spills or wear and tear on the carpets and mats. In regards to the exterior of the vehicle, having your auto detailed on at least a quarterly basis will keep it protected and its appearance looking its best. Be sure to thoroughly wash your vehicle weekly and a big plus would be a wax application in between your detailing schedule.....
Old 09-28-09, 05:38 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Olskool53
These packages offered by the 'Stealer" are nothing but Smoke and Mirror tactics. As mentioned by others they generally cost about $12.00 - $15.00 in product costs and the rest in labor for the application. It all adds up to a larger profit and commission for the finance department and salesman. Nothing out there can guarantee your paint to be inpervious to everything and or all the elements and contaminants. For the same reason snake oil doesnt exsist and buyer beware. I do agree on the interior warranty if your not certain that you can care for your cars interior on a regular basis. Tears, rips or colored drinks spilling can discolor carpets and upholstery. Therefore the replacement cost can get expensive. I usually recommend to my customers that they outfit their vehicles with protective flooring such as "Husky Liner" or similar products in case of spills or wear and tear on the carpets and mats. In regards to the exterior of the vehicle, having your auto detailed on at least a quarterly basis will keep it protected and its appearance looking its best. Be sure to thoroughly wash your vehicle weekly and a big plus would be a wax application in between your detailing schedule.....
+1....well-said