Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

opinion on armor alls

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11 | 01:21 PM
Ca1vN
Pit Crew

Default opinion on armor alls

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2972831

so i was thinking about picking these up later today. anyone have any negative effects from using these before ? will using these crack my leather up later? and can i use this for my dash and plastic wood trim? any input would appreciated... thank you.
Old 10-08-11 | 07:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

In my experience from the Costco pack I purchased a few years back, it did a great job of making it "wet." Unfortunately I also had extremely heavy oil deposits on the inside of the windshield after. I'd recommend at the very least to use Aerospace 303 for your leather. For your plastic wood trim (isn't it clearcoated?), I'd say a normal wax would be fine
Old 10-09-11 | 10:14 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyezack87
In my experience from the Costco pack I purchased a few years back, it did a great job of making it "wet." Unfortunately I also had extremely heavy oil deposits on the inside of the windshield after. I'd recommend at the very least to use Aerospace 303 for your leather. For your plastic wood trim (isn't it clearcoated?), I'd say a normal wax would be fine
For Leather the best is Leather Masters , Leatherique , Lexol or just water mixed with woolite. Armor All does not even fit here anywhere. Dpn't use conditioners if you have a top coat on your leather.

About dashboard I'm not really sure about that , but how old or new is your car ?
Old 10-09-11 | 12:25 PM
Ca1vN
Pit Crew

i got the 08 is250 approx 30k miles. the seats and dash are starting to get real duty and i just got the armor alls last night and havent used them yet. what do you mean oil deposits by the windshield? im just trying to get the dust off without damaging or risk my leather cracking in the future.. i dont eat or drink or smoke in the car i just drive it
Old 10-09-11 | 05:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
For Leather the best is Leather Masters , Leatherique , Lexol or just water mixed with woolite. Armor All does not even fit here anywhere. Dpn't use conditioners if you have a top coat on your leather.

About dashboard I'm not really sure about that , but how old or new is your car ?
Agreed with this post. The best protectant I have used to guard against color transfer of clothing is of the Leather Masters line
Originally Posted by Ca1vN
i got the 08 is250 approx 30k miles. the seats and dash are starting to get real duty and i just got the armor alls last night and havent used them yet. what do you mean oil deposits by the windshield? im just trying to get the dust off without damaging or risk my leather cracking in the future.. i dont eat or drink or smoke in the car i just drive it
If dirty just use the woolite mixture and protect it with the above products using a MF towel for each one.

The "oil deposits," for lack of better term, is that weird stuff you wipe off the interior front glass when its cloudy. It catches the glare from the sun and limits the viewing area when the sun is right in front of you.
Old 10-10-11 | 09:20 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Armor all does long term damage as far as my little research here on CL. Don't use it unless you plan on changing your car. I think they use some strong chemicals to give you that shiny glowy look. But that would attract more dirt or cause your dashboard to fade sooner. I'm not sure about this but just keeping you warned.

The only thing I bought from armor all was their instant tire shine.It does give a nice look after a wash and spray on but I read somewhere that the tires will become brownish in color or loose their black color after a while. Anyways I'm not worried since I would be changing my tires after a few 1000 Km's. So do a proper research of products before you buy them.
Old 10-10-11 | 09:37 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Armor all, is garbage. They do have a pretty decent wet dry vac for use in the car which has a great little kit for crevices.

I vote for 10/1 woolite mix to clean up the leather, and then hit with z10, or 303. 303 makes the seats a little slick, but not greasy. It's best to cut the 303 in my opinion. I use a 1/1 solution.
Old 10-10-11 | 03:03 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
The only thing I bought from armor all was their instant tire shine.It does give a nice look after a wash and spray on but I read somewhere that the tires will become brownish in color or loose their black color after a while. Anyways I'm not worried since I would be changing my tires after a few 1000 Km's. So do a proper research of products before you buy them.
This is the natural browning process of tires when you use them. Although for some strange reason whatever chemicals used in AA tire shine do accelerate/increase the effect. I would imagine its the silicone since I had that issue with Meguiars Endurance Gel too but do not quote me on that.

Water based dressings are the best in my opinion. Dries relatively fast, gives you a semi-matte finish, and doesn't sling everywhere
Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Armor all, is garbage
Only have to correct you on one product I've had great success on. Their Wheel Protectant is godly. My BMW friends and I use it and it is awesome. It repels their brake dust and my rubber dust for a few weeks

---------------
To the OP, a wool duster makes quick work of dust on the Dash. I forgot to mention that in my post earlier. The wool has a super low chance of scratching if you get a nice fluffy one
Old 10-25-11 | 06:58 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

swiffer is perfect for cleaning your dash. ( I keep one in my glove box)
Old 11-02-11 | 06:24 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

dont use the armor all, it makes your leather and dash reflective and greasy. I use meguiars natural shine for my dash and im very happy with the results.
Old 11-02-11 | 09:08 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Windex on the inside soapy water on the tire's.... Nothing shines better then NON Greasy tire.....LoL, Not a fan of having the tire shine on my fenders;(