Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Recommedations for cleaning wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 10:15 PM
wyee99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommedations for cleaning wheels

Just got myself some iforged wheels. Can anyone recommend any products they use to clean their wheels without actually harming them? I just want to know what other options I have to clean my wheels besides soap and water. Thanks!
Old 10-11-11, 11:23 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides soap and water. You can try sonax wheel cleaner or p21s. they're safe on wheels and have cleaning power. just do a search for them and there should be a bunch of info on those products.
Old 10-11-11, 11:26 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give this thread a click since it has some info I'm working with the OP with

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...r-vossens.html

Just make sure to never let ANY product dry on the surface of the wheel and you should be fine
Old 10-13-11, 05:02 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

You should find this helpful.

How To: Properly Clean, Protect, & Maintain Wheels & Tires
Old 10-13-11, 05:35 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
Bookmarking this for future reference!
Old 10-13-11, 07:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wyee99
Just got myself some iforged wheels. Can anyone recommend any products they use to clean their wheels without actually harming them? I just want to know what other options I have to clean my wheels besides soap and water. Thanks!
One important thing to note, if you don't know what wheel cleaner to use contact the manufacturer and ask before possibly using the wrong cleaner. If you use the wrong cleaner you could run the risk of ruining some expensive wheels. If you don't know, use soap and water. If you do try any new wheel cleaner, I'd suggest that you test a small spot in an inconspicuous area that is not visible and see that it reacts positively. Rinse and re-rinse and don't let a cleaner dwell for a long time.

Be aware that brake disks, pads and calipers can also be affected by some harsh wheel cleaners.

I like to take my wheels off the car to detail them once a year come spring. I then don't have any other brake component issues to be concerned about and I get a chance to really clean the wheels, inside and out, and apply a sealant to the wheel. Once sealed, the wheels are much easier to keep clean with just car wash soap and a gentle brush. Removal gives me the opportunity to inspect the tires and remove any embedded rocks and asphalt that might be embedded in the tread. This also is a good time to thoroughly clean the wheel wells, brakes and suspension components.

Maintenance: I apply Meg's Quik Wheel Detailer to the wheels weekly, to maintain the slickness and keep the wheels easy to rinse clean.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-13-11 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 09:55 AM
FlawlessAS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jfelbab
One important thing to note, if you don't know what wheel cleaner to use contact the manufacturer and ask before possibly using the wrong cleaner. If you use the wrong cleaner you could run the risk of ruining some expensive wheels. If you don't know, use soap and water. If you do try any new wheel cleaner, I'd suggest that you test a small spot in an inconspicuous area that is not visible and see that it reacts positively. Rinse and re-rinse and don't let a cleaner dwell for a long time.

Be aware that brake disks, pads and calipers can also be affected by some harsh wheel cleaners.

I like to take my wheels off the car to detail them once a year come spring. I then don't have any other brake component issues to be concerned about and I get a chance to really clean the wheels, inside and out, and apply a sealant to the wheel. Once sealed, the wheels are much easier to keep clean with just car wash soap and a gentle brush. Removal gives me the opportunity to inspect the tires and remove any embedded rocks and asphalt that might be embedded in the tread. This also is a good time to thoroughly clean the wheel wells, brakes and suspension components.

Maintenance: I apply Meg's Quik Wheel Detailer to the wheels weekly, to maintain the slickness and keep the wheels easy to rinse clean.
Great Advice! I do the same thing I apply Chemical Guys Wheel Guard in the Spring and Fall and it makes life alot easier when it comes to spraying off brake dust. My pads are brake dust demons!
Old 10-27-11, 06:56 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FlawlessAS
Great Advice! I do the same thing I apply Chemical Guys Wheel Guard in the Spring and Fall and it makes life alot easier when it comes to spraying off brake dust. My pads are brake dust demons!
I applied C.Quartz to mine. Job done for a year or two....
Old 10-27-11, 04:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I did some cleaning on my ES300 wheels with the Sonax. Left the product on for a few minutes and washed it off.. The wheels came out better than using soap and water. Granted the wheels are 13yrs old but they cleaned up nicely and i will by this product again. I actually bought (2) bottles from Greg@DI a couple weeks ago... Also bought some wheel wax but haven't used it yet.. GL OP