Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

WAX, whats the best that you have found

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 09:40 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my pinnacle sovereign!

I'm curious about the black box.....
Old 10-31-11, 08:00 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of wax, I have been trying to locate a product that is no longer available in the US because of the chemicals being used in them. They're from Japan and from the Japan store I bought locally, they said they are prohibited from selling them no more. I loved their "Water Block Pearl Metallic" item and can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions where to buy some?

Soft99

http://www.soft99.co.jp/en/images/to...2_CarWaxes.pdf
Old 10-31-11, 11:44 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Try naviwax instead of soft99

I found soft99 products just 'average'. The naviwax is king of JDM lol!
Old 11-08-11, 12:32 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

From my research till now, I've heard lot of good things about Collinite Wax's. They seem to be highly durable and easy to use. I need to buy one soon though to try and find out myself. I use crappy Formula 1 wax now which lasts for just one wash but it does seal away tiny scratch's from my car's paint.

Does anyone else know which wax is good to hide those tiny scratch's for a bit longer than just 2 wash's ?
Old 11-08-11, 06:36 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
From my research till now, I've heard lot of good things about Collinite Wax's. They seem to be highly durable and easy to use. I need to buy one soon though to try and find out myself. I use crappy Formula 1 wax now which lasts for just one wash but it does seal away tiny scratch's from my car's paint.

Does anyone else know which wax is good to hide those tiny scratch's for a bit longer than just 2 wash's ?
You might try using Meg's UQW after your weekly wash. This should keep the swirls hidden longer and you can do a whole car in about 15 minutes.

No wax or sealant will hide swirls forever. Waxes and sealants are sub-micron thin coatings that are designed to slowly degrade.

My advice would be to use a polish to physically remove some (most) of the marring and follow with a sealant like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. (I prefer the paste version, BTW). This product does cover up swirls pretty well and the weekly application of UQW will keep them hidden for quite some time. FWIW, Meguiar's has stated that this is their longest lasting, most durable sealant product.

I think I recall you being in a pretty warm climate and if so, I'd advise against Carnauba products as they just don't last long in high temperatures. Carnauba starts to evaporate at 160° F, a temperature easily reached on a dark car parked in the sun. I'd stick with sealants in this environment.

Another approach you may consider is some of the nanotechnology products. While relatively new, they are receiving accolades for their longer life and good looks. They are more expensive initially. They do require that the paint be perfectly polished and clean prior to application. Some to consider are C-quartz or A-quartz. Wear gloves when using these products as there may be a health concern with nanotechnology products when they are still wet being absorbed through the skin.

Lastly there is the coating technology by Optimum, Opti-Coat 2.0. This is a thick coating (2micron) that is applied to a freshly polished car and they claim it will to last up to 5 years. This is a coating that is about as thick as your original clear coat and is not removable without abrasive polishing. This could be both good and bad.

These products are much more costly than conventional sealants but might be economical depending on how you are able to care for your paint finish. These products do not prevent scratches or marring of the paint so if you are at all careless with washing and drying technique, they won't hold up much better than conventional sealants. The also require a complete polishing to remove all marring prior to use. If you miss any swirls it will not hide them.
Old 11-08-11, 07:31 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Collinite, Zaino, Meguiars, Optimium, Griot's Garage, the list is endless. Collinite, and Zaino are two of my professional line favorite brands for waxes. For average Joe, out of a retail store, Meguiar's waxes are where its at.
Old 11-08-11, 11:56 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You might try using Meg's UQW after your weekly wash. This should keep the swirls hidden longer and you can do a whole car in about 15 minutes.

No wax or sealant will hide swirls forever. Waxes and sealants are sub-micron thin coatings that are designed to slowly degrade.

My advice would be to use a polish to physically remove some (most) of the marring and follow with a sealant like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. (I prefer the paste version, BTW). This product does cover up swirls pretty well and the weekly application of UQW will keep them hidden for quite some time. FWIW, Meguiar's has stated that this is their longest lasting, most durable sealant product.
Will give Meg's ultimate quik wax a try. But how long will it last with normal washing( once or twice a week )

I think I recall you being in a pretty warm climate and if so, I'd advise against Carnauba products as they just don't last long in high temperatures. Carnauba starts to evaporate at 160° F, a temperature easily reached on a dark car parked in the sun. I'd stick with sealants in this environment.
Yes that's correct , most time of the year it gets really hot here but now it's winter time till March next year. The temperature hovers between 0-15 degree celsius. So I guess now's a good time to use carnauba wax's. I think it's best to use the sealant first and then top it up with carnauba wax, correct ?

Another approach you may consider is some of the nanotechnology products. While relatively new, they are receiving accolades for their longer life and good looks. They are more expensive initially. They do require that the paint be perfectly polished and clean prior to application. Some to consider are C-quartz or A-quartz. Wear gloves when using these products as there may be a health concern with nanotechnology products when they are still wet being absorbed through the skin.

Lastly there is the coating technology by Optimum, Opti-Coat 2.0. This is a thick coating (2micron) that is applied to a freshly polished car and they claim it will to last up to 5 years. This is a coating that is about as thick as your original clear coat and is not removable without abrasive polishing. This could be both good and bad.

These products are much more costly than conventional sealants but might be economical depending on how you are able to care for your paint finish. These products do not prevent scratches or marring of the paint so if you are at all careless with washing and drying technique, they won't hold up much better than conventional sealants. The also require a complete polishing to remove all marring prior to use. If you miss any swirls it will not hide them.
Ok now this feels like rocket science to me. I could never do any of these things properly on my IS. Prefer leaving this to professional detailers.
Old 11-08-11, 02:49 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Will give Meg's ultimate quik wax a try. But how long will it last with normal washing( once or twice a week )
I use UQW as a maintenance product to boost the original sealant or wax. I use it weekly or after each wash. It is a wipe on / wipe off product like a Quik Detailer so it is very quick and easy to use. It will enable your original wax or sealant to last for up to twice as long as it would normally. The UQW product will provide its protection for a few weeks.

Yes that's correct , most time of the year it gets really hot here but now it's winter time till March next year. The temperature hovers between 0-15 degree celsius. So I guess now's a good time to use carnauba wax's. I think it's best to use the sealant first and then top it up with carnauba wax, correct ?
You don't need to top a sealant with anything but some do to get a little extra protection and to alter the look of the LSP. Generally speaking, sealants are highly reflective and carnauba tend to be deeper and darken the color a couple of shades. Sealants don't normally perform well when applied to a wax while waxes do cure adequately over a sealant. Again, it isn't necessary to do both, just some of us here are kind of **** about our paint. LOL