Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Could it be "I'm just a girl?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 04:41 AM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could it be "I'm just a girl?"

I've been reading on claying, waxing, polishing, etc. and now I'm confused. I live in South Florida and have a 2011 Obsidian RX 450h. I don't mind giving the car a wash every 2 weeks or so & cleaning/conditioning the inside ... but that's about it.

I'd like to wax my car every couple of months just 'cause. It's kinda hard for me to reach up on that roof and I would prefer a quick "wax on, wax off" type of product. Can you guys recommend?

Also .....

1. What is the difference between clay, wax, and polishing?
2. What's a good product to use on my wheels?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-11, 05:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tapau
I've been reading on claying, waxing, polishing, etc. and now I'm confused. I live in South Florida and have a 2011 Obsidian RX 450h. I don't mind giving the car a wash every 2 weeks or so & cleaning/conditioning the inside ... but that's about it.

I'd like to wax my car every couple of months just 'cause. It's kinda hard for me to reach up on that roof and I would prefer a quick "wax on, wax off" type of product. Can you guys recommend?

Also .....

1. What is the difference between clay, wax, and polishing?
2. What's a good product to use on my wheels?

Thanks.
For some starters, Clay will remove contaminants stuck on your paint. After washing and drying your car, gently draw your dry fingertips over the paint on the hood and if it doesn't feel as smooth as glass you should consider using clay to pull off the contamination.

Polish will remove stains and paint defects in the paint. Swirl marks, for example are really tiny scratches in the paint. Polish is an abrasive that will level the paint and remove the swirls. It does so by removing the paint around the scratches until the paint is once again level.

Wax is a protectant. Once you have clayed and polished the paint, you would apply a wax or sealant to provide a protective barrier against contaminants and pollution.

Some products you could start with that are easy to find and use:

Clay: I'd suggest looking for a clay bar kit from Meguiar's, Mothers, or Clay Magic. Claying should be done to a clean car that is cool to the touch and do it in the shade. Look for some youtube videos to see the procedure.

Polish. You probably could go with a cleaner/wax. It sounds like Cleaner/Wax product might fit your needs better than using a dedicated polish. I'd suggest looking for a cleaner wax from Meguiar's, Mothers or Zymol. This is a one-step polish and wax in one. It won't deliver the same results a dedicated polish will but it does make significant improvement to the paint and its fast and easy.

Polishing, especially on a black car, should really be done with a dual action polisher if you goal is to remove all the swirls. This is just a monumental job to do by hand if you goal is the total removal of swirls. A cleaner/wax will get rid of maybe 60-70% of them, the ones that are not too deep.

If you want a longer lasting wax and better protection, you could always apply a sealant after the cleaner/wax. In this case I'd suggest using the Meguiar's cleaner/wax then following with the Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. This is Meguiar's longest lasting sealant. The reason I'd suggest using both from the same manufacturer is that they are compatible. Some sealants will not bond to a surface that has any wax on it. Meguiar's products are compatible with each other which is why this works.

I might suggest, depending on your interest in detailing, looking at the numerous videos available from companies like AutoGeek and Meguiar's. They have detailed instructional videos on the internet that show the proper processes to use.

Your wheels are painted and clear-coated just like the paint on your car. You should treat them the same. Wash, clay, polish and wax. I use Megiar's Quik Wheel Detailer on mine after every wash to keep them clean and slick so as to repel any brake dust.

Finally, a bit of regular maintenance will keep your vehicle looking good for a long time.

I'd recommend a weekly wash and an application of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. This is a spray (mist) on wipe off product that refreshes your wax or sealant. It goes on fast and easy and makes the paint slick and easier to keep clean as dirt doesn't stick to it. It sheds water as well, making the car easy to dry and not prone to water spots as much. I use this after ever wash. I apply it to everything, paint, glass and vinyl trim.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-15-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 09:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

tapau, being a girl hasn't stopped me from keeping my RX450h in shape. I definitely have more product for him than myself

You're on the right track with cleaning every two weeks. Jim gave you a nice overview and some solid recommendations from Meguiars. Maybe invest in a step ladder too for easier application I have one.

I'd like to add one of my favorite detailing sites is from Detailed Image, a CL vendor here. Not only do they tell you how to do it but also what to use. It's definitely come in handy when I'm looking for a specific product. I've learned a lot from them Two years ago I won a contest that included a PC dual action polisher and Blackfire kit from an old vendor here. It's worth getting if you want to make the whole polish and wax application process easier, especially on obsidian.

With a few quality products, you should be all set keeping your RX looking fine
Old 11-15-11, 09:34 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

most important is to learn how to wash and dry your car properly.

I'd estimate that 85% of the swirls on a car are caused by bad washing and drying techniques. On black, you can't afford to take shortcuts or use low quality/dirty tools or wash media.

Black shows everything.
Old 11-15-11, 12:53 PM
LX311
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Tapau for posting this... I'm a female too and have the RX in Stargazer and want to keep it looking good. I got confused with all the products and steps... lol I don't mind spending a 1/2 day or more every couple of months detailing, but would like something quick and fairly easy for the in between washings. I already have swirl marks on the passenger side door and I think it's from when Lexus gave my car the "complimentary" car wash... must have been a wash with brushes. Will need to get those out... drives me crazy to look at.

Thank you everyone for posting... I was thinking of purchasing some of the Zaino products, but it seems like Meguiars is recommended too. Will look for the video's online.

Thank you!
Tanja
Old 11-15-11, 02:40 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by LX311
Thank you Tapau for posting this... I'm a female too and have the RX in Stargazer and want to keep it looking good. I got confused with all the products and steps... lol I don't mind spending a 1/2 day or more every couple of months detailing, but would like something quick and fairly easy for the in between washings. I already have swirl marks on the passenger side door and I think it's from when Lexus gave my car the "complimentary" car wash... must have been a wash with brushes. Will need to get those out... drives me crazy to look at.

Thank you everyone for posting... I was thinking of purchasing some of the Zaino products, but it seems like Meguiars is recommended too. Will look for the video's online.

Thank you!
Tanja
Zaino is an excellent sealant but it must be applied to a polished surface as any swirls in the paint will still be visible after application. Polishing out swirls by hand is a tedious effort taking a day or two. I wouldn't want to do it. The Cleaner/Wax approach gets rid of a lot of swirl marks and it is not as difficult. The Megiuiar's sealant mentioned (Ultimate Wax) will hide some of the swirls that remain for a few weeks. The spray wax (Ultimate Quik Wax) will also tend to hide some swirls id applied after ever wash. IT is really easy to use and makes the paint glossy and slippery.

Unless you plan on purchasing a Dual Action Polisher, I'd recommend the easier approach.

You coluld also take your car to a professional for polishing and sealing. If you develop good washing and drying techniques you can keep swirls from happening in the first place. The Lexus wash is a swirl inducer and I printed out a couple large signs and I put them on the dash when I have my Lexus in for service. The signs say "DO NOT WASH". For many owners the swirls don't matter all that much and the free wash is a nice touch. I'm just **** about my paint looking perfect. LOL!
Old 11-16-11, 01:17 AM
LX311
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jim.... I will def. try the Meguiars. We are almost into winter here in MA, although we have had temperatures in the 60's lately. I don't do as much on my car during those months since it can be so cold. I usually hit the brushless (spray only) car wash just to get all the salt and crap off my car.

I printed out this thread since I'll need to remember what to buy for products. I agree about the swirl marks... can't stand them and this is my first black car. I can see them down the passenger side of my car and I know it's from the Lexus car wash... I haven't been thru any car wash yet and have only hand washed and towel dryed my car. Lexus of Watertown gives free car washes for the lifetime of the car... so that's a nice perk, but not if it comes with those swirl marks.

I'll read up about clay barring since I'm sure after the winter... my car will need it. I appreciate everyone's tips since!

Tanja
Old 11-16-11, 05:59 AM
jfelbab

Most swirls are introduced due to improper washing and drying technique so here is Mike Phillips demonstrating proper technique. On a black vehicle this can make a huge difference on how your car looks over time. Its much easier to avoid swirls than to remove them so doing it right is the way to go.

How to Wash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqdEVtOPKAM

Claying is easy. Here, Mike demonstrates the proper process.

How to Clay:
http://www.youtube.com/user/autogeek#p/u/34/nudO8R6b9Qc

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-16-11 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 08:20 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

you can never be too careful with a black car. Did you really use a towel to dry your car? A cotton towel can definitely induce swirls, especially on our cars b/c the clearcoat is not as hard as other manufacturers.

refine your wash and drying process and do it the same way every time. I notice in the video above that Mike washes the bottoms of the rocker panels, then goes back to the tops of other panels. If you want to be even more careful, save the dirtiest parts of the car for last. This means you start at the roof and work your way down.

The lower panels from front to back on both sides will usually be the dirtiest so I save them for last and use a different wash media for them so I don't contaminate my wool wash mitt used to do the upper areas.

This picture of my coworkers car shows what I'm talking about. Her car was actually grey when I started. Rather than wash an entire door from top to bottom, I'll wash across the car from side to side, then switch wash media to do the remaining lower panels.

it's just something that works for me and doesn't add a lot to the process but it can make a big difference in the look of your paint over time.
Old 11-16-11, 08:39 AM
tapau
Rookie

Loved the Videos. Thanks Jim.
Old 11-16-11, 03:48 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i foam cannon my car first n then pressure wash rinse it.. n then foam it again before scrubbing it down with soapy water + MF
Old 11-16-11, 07:01 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite wax spray, easy on easy off effortlessly. Also, California Duster works well with sleek finish paint given it parks inside.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/HYBRID_V..._p/wac_808.htm

Get the multi purpose microfiber towels and drying microfiber towels while you're there.
Note - Discount Code 5%: GOLD
Old 11-16-11, 08:28 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

sorry but using a california duster on a car parked outside is just asking for not only swirls but scratches...

same dealio with those california water blades...

it might not be as noticeable on white or silver but trust me, it's happening
Old 11-16-11, 08:32 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Good Vid.... 2nd post is all u need tho....