Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Correct way to apply touchup??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 07:40 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Correct way to apply touchup??

I have a '98 LS400 and it requires 2 different touchup paints. How do I apply these? One is the Base Coat and the other is the
Top Coat. Do I apply the Base Coat and let it dry and then apply the Top Coat? It sure doesn't match too good. Do I let the Base Coat dry a little? I'm assuming I let the Base Coat dry and then apply the Top Coat...
Old 10-09-02, 10:56 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gebo,

I use LANGKA. You can read all about it here:
http://www.langka.com

Here's some links to a couple other methods.

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/touchup.html

http://www.paintscratch.com/automotive-paint-tips.htm

Good luck.
Old 10-10-02, 08:37 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of touch-up paint, I have some but it isn't quite the same shade of white as my car. It's Lexus paint, but I think my car has yellowed very slightly over the years.

Ideas?

Ral
Old 10-10-02, 08:59 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Toss it.

Buy some new paint...It's cheap. The stuff can go bad, ie, turn yellow. If you have a good relationship with your Lexus dealer, they should comp you a new tube.
Old 10-11-02, 10:24 AM
gebo
Advanced

Daddy-O,

Thanks, I ordered some of the Langka. but can you tell me the proper procedure for applying the 2 coats of Lexus paint? do I let the basecoat dry for so long and then apply the topcoat??? It appears that the top coat has the "sparkles" in it. It would seem I would need to put in on the base coat before the base coat drys???? You know, for the "sparkles to sort of blend in????
Old 10-11-02, 10:40 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I suggest you follow the instructions on the package.

Shake the paint longer than instructed. Matching OEM metallic paint with touch-up paint is challenging. The beauty of Langka is that if you make a mistake, Langka will remove it, so you can try again.

The instructions on the LANGKA site are good, too.

http://www.langka.com/instructions.html

http://www.langka.com/instructions.html#clearcoating
Old 10-11-02, 04:17 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Daddy-O
Toss it.

Buy some new paint...It's cheap. The stuff can go bad, ie, turn yellow. If you have a good relationship with your Lexus dealer, they should comp you a new tube.
Well, see that's the weird thing. The paint IS relatively new, and it's _whiter_ than the car.

Ral
Old 10-11-02, 04:44 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

RalAegidius,

Sorry...momentary dyslexia. I thought..I read...Nevermind.

These guys offer custom matching...More expensive, but....

http://www.1stautotouchuppaints.com

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-11-02 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 05:24 PM
gebo
Advanced

I'm still trying to find out how to apply Lexus touch up paint with the two coat system from Lexus? Base coat and top coat. How exactly do I apply the Lexus touch up?
Old 10-12-02, 09:59 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

gebo,

I've provided links to instructions and a product to assist in the application of touch-up paint...The "two coat system" is not proprietary to Lexus and I offered these links hoping that they would help.

Please note that these instructions differ. Personally, I have found that there is no absolute, correct way to tackle the challenge of applying touch-up paint. Every application different.

If there were no instructions with the packaging or on the label(s), and the instructions and suggestions provided here do not address your questions, I suggest a call to Lexus Customer Service.

Perhaps there is a Lexus way of applying touch-up paint that I am unaware of. If so, please relate that information to the forum, as I am interested, and it may be of value to members.

Otherwise, I'm open to other suggestions from other members.

Again, Good luck.

The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
Phone: 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Address:
P.O. Box 2991 - Mail Drop L202
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
Old 10-12-02, 01:39 PM
gebo
Advanced

Daddy-O,

What is confusing is when you get 2 different instructions from 2 different Lexus dealerships. One guy said to apply the base coat and let it set for a few minutes and then apply the topcoat. That looked really yucky. I thought I had gotten the wrong paint. So I went to another Lexus dealership, ordered paint, got same paint with instructions to let the base coat completely dry and then apply the topcoat. That looks yucky, too. I was just hoping someone could tell me the "correct" way. All I really want to know is, "Do I let base coat completely dry or not before I apply the top coat"? Obviously, they shouldn't be mixed 'cause if they could, they would probably put them in the same bottle to begin with(?)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but from "MY" experience in calling the 1-800 number, it ain't worth the call. "I" have called them 3 times and have never gotten satisfaction. Maybe I should try again.
Old 08-23-06, 02:56 AM
CrimsonSam
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint and Body Maintenance and Repair

I couldn't find anyone to fix my the dents on my car. Everyone said it was not worth it or it was too expensive. If found http://mastermatchauto.com in long beach,ca 90815 and they came to me! They are working on my car right now doing the body work, primer, dent removal, primer, sanding, base coat, and clear coat paint job. I saw their site and the quality auto refinishing and dent repair and I felt confident and safe with them. They have some nice classic cars, porsches, and even have done work on expensive ferarris... So finally I will have a nice paint job and all the chips and cracks in my paint will be repaired!

<A HREF="http://mastermatchauto.com" ALT="auto body repair, long beach, body work, paint, california, mobile auto body">auto body repair, long beach, body work, paint, california, mobile auto body</A>
Old 08-23-06, 12:56 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonSam
I couldn't find anyone to fix my the dents on my car. Everyone said it was not worth it or it was too expensive. If found http://mastermatchauto.com in long beach,ca 90815 and they came to me! They are working on my car right now doing the body work, primer, dent removal, primer, sanding, base coat, and clear coat paint job. I saw their site and the quality auto refinishing and dent repair and I felt confident and safe with them. They have some nice classic cars, porsches, and even have done work on expensive ferarris... So finally I will have a nice paint job and all the chips and cracks in my paint will be repaired!

<A HREF="http://mastermatchauto.com" ALT="auto body repair, long beach, body work, paint, california, mobile auto body">auto body repair, long beach, body work, paint, california, mobile auto body</A>
Interesting first post. Sounds almost like an advertisement.
Old 08-24-06, 09:33 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

wow they sure came a long way....from long beach, CA all the way to chicago.
Old 08-26-06, 08:07 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RalAegidius
Speaking of touch-up paint, I have some but it isn't quite the same shade of white as my car. It's Lexus paint, but I think my car has yellowed very slightly over the years.
You're absolutely correct in that the touch-up paint isn't the problem - your car's paint is.

Fading/discoloring of paint by the sun and elements takes place so slowly that you don't notice it. When my wife's Camry was in an accident the new paint was so different from the original paint that only re-painting the entire car would hide the difference. I couldn't believe how much the color had faded.

So unless you get a paint custom-made for your faded car you will always see the difference. Spray touch-ups allow for a more subtle color boundary, but really don't fix the problem.