Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

porter cable 7424 for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 11:55 AM
g6g35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porter cable 7424 for a newbie?

ive always loved detailing the car by hand for many years but i recently just purchased a black isf and my god what a hard color it is to maintain. So ive decided to look into a PC 7424. Can you guys recommend what type of package or products to get along with the PC and where would be a good place to orderit, thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-21-11, 02:54 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

The Porter Cable 7424xp is an excellent tool to have on hand for both beginners and professionals alike. It's very easy to use, reliable, and has the power to correct swirls and other paint defects while still being capable of just applying a coat of wax. Because of it being a dual action polisher, it's also paint safe even in the hands of a novice.

I would recommend checking out our Dual Action Orbital Polishing Guide. Here you will find a ton of useful information and free videos about dual action polishers and what they're all about.

Dual Action Orbital Polishing Guide

Porter Cable 7424 XP with FREE Bonus Products!

Old 11-21-11, 03:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Alot of people use a PC7424. It's a really safe to use machine, but it's not very quick at doing correction work compared to a Flex XC3401 (or a rotary).

Personally, I'd recommend just getting a Flex, it's smooth, very powerful and doesn't vibrate like a PC. Autogeek sells them as well as other forum sponsors (Detailers Domain and Detailed Image).
Old 11-22-11, 03:42 AM
LX311
Driver School Candidate

I was also thinking of purchasing a polisher since this too is my first black car and I think it will come in handy. I never used one before and was worried I might end up doing damage to the paint. I've watched a couple of the video's on detailing with the porter cable 7424 and it didn't look that difficult.

Tanja
Old 11-22-11, 08:48 AM
SOARER5
Driver School Candidate

I would recommend Griots DA. I just bought one to replace my 7424XP. You can feel the difference in power, so it doesn't slow down with heavy pressure. I'm able to use speed 5 with less vibration versus having to use 6 on the 7424XP.
Old 11-22-11, 02:07 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride I'm happy to hear you're going to take care of it from the start, it's much easier than correcting problems down the road. I'll go over the buffer you mentioned and a few other tips/suggestions for newer vehicles. The Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is an awesome tool that you are going to love. It's easy to use and very safe so you can get professional results in less time while using less energy. At www.DetailedImage.com we have several great package deals with the PC. You can select any combination of pads you'd like by leaving a comment in the comment field while checking out. Check out these deals:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 4" Basic Kit
Many more deals here - DI Packages

Washing and Drying
Most swirls come from the washing and drying process so make sure you use good technique (see our Detailing Guide) and use quality products. If you need to upgrade your materials check out these three package deals:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...-Package-P148/
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...mate-Kit-P141/
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...nced-Kit-P368/

Exterior Protection
Most new vehicles have a few swirls in the paint if you look at it in the right light so a light polish is almost always needed if you want perfection. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and a white pad from Lake Country should be a great start to remove some light imperfections and give your paint that vibrant shine.

Protecting the exterior right away will preserve the paint and make future cleanings easier. I highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond w/polycharger because it looks amazing, applies with ease and protects for months (4-6). I also use it on the headlights, exterior glass and wheels for added protection. You only need about 1 oz per coat for a medium size car so apply it nice and thin for best results. I'd suggest picking up a blue pad from Lake Country for the application.

Microfiber
Microfiber is paint safe and highly effective at removing the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, wax, etc. For this process I would suggest getting 5x - 10x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...03/16-x-16-S1/). These towels are also great for interior cleanings, apply protection, leather care, glass care and so much more!

Interior Protection
303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture while keeping the fibers flexible and soft.

If you follow these basic pre-cautions your vehicle will look great for years to come and keep the re-sale value up! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-23-11, 05:42 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

PC 7424 is the tool for most non-professional detailers. A standard rotary buffer isn't recommended for someone coming straight off hand polishing. It's way to easy to damage your paint which is where the dual action PC comes in. Just my $0.02 since I have used both. Rotary's offer quick results and can damage just as quickly. DA's aren't as fast but also won't melt your paint by being to aggressive with the use.