Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax - Thanks Jim!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 03:57 AM
LX311
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax - Thanks Jim!

Thanks Jim... I bought the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax and wow... very easy to use and my car looks great. A good product to have on hand after regular washings!

My car is new... so I haven't done too much other than put a few swirl marks in from towel drying (which I learned from this forum - lol). Will have to correct those, although I can't see them if it's not sunny out. I also purchased the Meguiar's swirl remover, but haven't used it yet... thinking about buying a polisher and will have to figure out which one since I've never used one before and don't want to damage the paint either. Bought new microfiber towels for drying and also cloths for polishing.

I've learned alot from many people on this forum!

Thank you!
Tanja
Old 11-22-11, 06:12 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LX311
Thanks Jim... I bought the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax and wow... very easy to use and my car looks great. A good product to have on hand after regular washings!

My car is new... so I haven't done too much other than put a few swirl marks in from towel drying (which I learned from this forum - lol). Will have to correct those, although I can't see them if it's not sunny out. I also purchased the Meguiar's swirl remover, but haven't used it yet... thinking about buying a polisher and will have to figure out which one since I've never used one before and don't want to damage the paint either. Bought new microfiber towels for drying and also cloths for polishing.

I've learned alot from many people on this forum!

Thank you!
Tanja
I like this product a lot and don't forget you can use it on everything, paint, glass and vinyl trim. My wife got a hold of it and now uses it on glass, mirrors and appliances in the home. I've since taken to buying it in gallons from the Meguiar's Detailer Line (D156).

As to polishers, I have used the Meguiar's G110 v2, Griots, and the PCXP. Any of the three perform well enough to remove swirls and light scratches and all are safe. My personal favorite of the three is the G110 V2 but again, they all work very well.

If you do go with a DA, look for the Meguiar's Microfiber System Starter Kit. The kit consists of two 5" cutting pads, two 5" finishing pads, a 5" backing plate, along with D300 correction compound and D301 finishing wax and a cleaning brush. This is a great way to get started. Check with our vendors here for discounts. I suspect most will be offering a "Black Friday" discount of some form.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-22-11 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-22-11, 08:55 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

<3 QuikWax Probably my favorite product.
Old 11-22-11, 08:56 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

I found the UQD today of Meguiars but did not find UQW. Are they both the same or different items ?
Old 11-22-11, 09:54 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
I found the UQD today of Meguiars but did not find UQW. Are they both the same or different items ?
They are very different. They are similar in the application and removal process (both wipe-on / wipe-off products) and in that they both have hydrophobic polymers.

Ultimate Quik Detailer (UQD) is used to remove light dust and fingerprints from your paint. It has lots of lubricants to avoid scratching the paint.

Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) is a polymer/carnauba hybrid product that is intended to be used on a clean car. It lacks lubricants and does not have any cleaning ability. It will boost the appearance and extend the life of your existing wax or sealant.

I use a lot of both. UQD is nice for those times when the car is just a bit dusty and you don't have time for a full wash. I usually follow UQD or a wash with UQW to keep the paint slick and looking freshly waxed.

I don't know if you have noticed this but just after you apply a wax or sealant to your car and it gets dirty, the water sheets off and the dirt doesn't stick much. The wax has a lot of slickness and that makes the car almost self cleaning. UQW brings that slickness back and since it is actually a real sealant/wax product it extends the life of your original wax. It is not intended to be a replacement for your main wax or sealant as it won't last as long but it really refreshes what you have already applied.
Old 11-22-11, 01:04 PM
LX311
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again Jim for info on the DA's... maybe I'll check out the Meguiars one. Funny... I was driving after I used the UQW and thought... I think someone said I could put this on the windows too. So... you just confirmed what I had thought I read. I was careful around the clear bra since I wasn't sure if it would bother it. I use the 3M plastic lens protector that the installer gave me for that. I'll probably buy a bigger jug of the UQW.... it's exactly what I was looking for - for use after just washing.

The weather is getting colder here in MA - so once the spring comes... I'll probably look into a good wax. I think you mentioned Meguiar's Ultimate paste wax... will try the clay bar out and try to get any swirl marks out and use a regular wax. I would do it now, but I think the weather will be against me.

One more question.... I bought a microfiber towel for drying at Autozone. Is there something better I should look for... waffle weave?? I could use a couple more towels.

Thank you again for all you tips/help... it can get really confusing with all these products out there. I'll stick with Meguiar's for now... it's also reasonably priced.

Thank you!!
Tanja

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I like this product a lot and don't forget you can use it on everything, paint, glass and vinyl trim. My wife got a hold of it and now uses it on glass, mirrors and appliances in the home. I've since taken to buying it in gallons from the Meguiar's Detailer Line (D156).

As to polishers, I have used the Meguiar's G110 v2, Griots, and the PCXP. Any of the three perform well enough to remove swirls and light scratches and all are safe. My personal favorite of the three is the G110 V2 but again, they all work very well.

If you do go with a DA, look for the Meguiar's Microfiber System Starter Kit. The kit consists of two 5" cutting pads, two 5" finishing pads, a 5" backing plate, along with D300 correction compound and D301 finishing wax and a cleaning brush. This is a great way to get started. Check with our vendors here for discounts. I suspect most will be offering a "Black Friday" discount of some form.
Old 11-22-11, 02:14 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by LX311
Thanks again Jim for info on the DA's... maybe I'll check out the Meguiars one. Funny... I was driving after I used the UQW and thought... I think someone said I could put this on the windows too. So... you just confirmed what I had thought I read. I was careful around the clear bra since I wasn't sure if it would bother it. I use the 3M plastic lens protector that the installer gave me for that. I'll probably buy a bigger jug of the UQW.... it's exactly what I was looking for - for use after just washing.

The weather is getting colder here in MA - so once the spring comes... I'll probably look into a good wax. I think you mentioned Meguiar's Ultimate paste wax... will try the clay bar out and try to get any swirl marks out and use a regular wax. I would do it now, but I think the weather will be against me.

One more question.... I bought a microfiber towel for drying at Autozone. Is there something better I should look for... waffle weave?? I could use a couple more towels.

Thank you again for all you tips/help... it can get really confusing with all these products out there. I'll stick with Meguiar's for now... it's also reasonably priced.

Thank you!!
Tanja
I use Meguiars Water Magnet drying towels but there are many good waffle weave drying towels available. The waffle weave seems to absorb and hold more water and wring out drier than regular weave microfibers.

Another tip: Take an old CD with you when shopping for microfibers. Aggressively rub the CD with the microfiber and if it leaves scratches it will leave scratches and swirls on your paint too. Better quality microfibers don't scratch.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-22-11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 07:38 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

I use Meguiars Water Magnet drying towels but there are many good waffle weave drying towels available. The waffle weave seems to absorb and hold more water and wring out drier than regular weave microfibers.

Another tip: Take an old CD with you when shopping for microfibers. Aggressively rub the CD with the microfiber and if it leaves scratches it will leave scratches and swirls on your paint too. Better quality microfibers don't scratch.
I use ABRO's premium PVA , chamois cloth to dry my car. Is this good or bad ? It holds on to water too but it sticks to the body a lot. I just bloat it on the wet parts.
Old 11-23-11, 07:41 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

They are very different. They are similar in the application and removal process (both wipe-on / wipe-off products) and in that they both have hydrophobic polymers.

Ultimate Quik Detailer (UQD) is used to remove light dust and fingerprints from your paint. It has lots of lubricants to avoid scratching the paint.

Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) is a polymer/carnauba hybrid product that is intended to be used on a clean car. It lacks lubricants and does not have any cleaning ability. It will boost the appearance and extend the life of your existing wax or sealant.

I use a lot of both. UQD is nice for those times when the car is just a bit dusty and you don't have time for a full wash. I usually follow UQD or a wash with UQW to keep the paint slick and looking freshly waxed.

I don't know if you have noticed this but just after you apply a wax or sealant to your car and it gets dirty, the water sheets off and the dirt doesn't stick much. The wax has a lot of slickness and that makes the car almost self cleaning. UQW brings that slickness back and since it is actually a real sealant/wax product it extends the life of your original wax. It is not intended to be a replacement for your main wax or sealant as it won't last as long but it really refreshes what you have already applied.
I found Meguiars deep crystal Quik wax at a store, now is this the same thing as Meg's UQW or is it not as good as UQW ?
Old 11-23-11, 09:08 AM
jfelbab

I use ABRO's premium PVA , chamois cloth to dry my car. Is this good or bad ? It holds on to water too but it sticks to the body a lot. I just bloat it on the wet parts.
Not familiar with that particular brand but I used to use the Absorber another brand of PVA synthetic chamois which worked ok. Try a waffle-weave drying towel some time and see which you like better.

Blotting the water is a good idea no matter what you use to dry your paint.
Old 11-23-11, 09:25 AM
jfelbab

I found Meguiars deep crystal Quik wax at a store, now is this the same thing as Meg's UQW or is it not as good as UQW ?
I believe that the Deep Crystal Quik Wax is a carnauba product. It's not the same thing as UQW which contains synthetic polymers. UQW is a hybrid polymer/carnauba product that contains hydrophobic polymers that resist water. It leaves the surface slicker and protection that lasts longer. Keep your eyes open for the UQW, I think once you use it you will find why I like it so much.

Old 11-23-11, 10:02 AM
Protagnist
Rookie

I actually use my leaf blower to dry my car. Works like a charm and leaves no swirl marks. It also gets the water out of the hard to dry places like taillight and gas tank grooves.
Old 11-23-11, 11:26 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

I believe that the Deep Crystal Quik Wax is a carnauba product. It's not the same thing as UQW which contains synthetic polymers. UQW is a hybrid polymer/carnauba product that contains hydrophobic polymers that resist water. It leaves the surface slicker and protection that lasts longer. Keep your eyes open for the UQW, I think once you use it you will find why I like it so much.

The bad thing is I want to get all the things that you mentined so badly but it ain't available in the stores i'm searching at.

The funniest thing was for a minute when I saw the UQD bottle , i was so overjoyed thinking that I finally found a product that was recommended by you since it looked exactly like the UQW bottle shown above but on closer inspection saw the word detailer instead of wax.

The guys at the stores tell me that all the products which I actually want will come only by next month or the month after that. I so badly want the NXT 2.0 wax and this UQW. I'm so impatient i just want to start a store and import all of Meguiars and Zaino products
Old 11-23-11, 11:36 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Protagnist
I actually use my leaf blower to dry my car. Works like a charm and leaves no swirl marks. It also gets the water out of the hard to dry places like taillight and gas tank grooves.
Won't this technique actually imbibe more water spots ?
Old 11-23-11, 12:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Won't this technique actually imbibe more water spots ?
No. Just follow up with a drying MF towel for the water that wasn't removed with a leaf blower. Leaf blower (tried it a few times) won't get all the water off your car. More like 80-85% unless you spend half an hour doing it.

Quick Reply: Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax - Thanks Jim!