Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is there anything I can do about my windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 02:12 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking at the pictures it kind of looks like armor all over spray from the inside....
Old 11-23-11, 02:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GR6RR
Looking at the pictures it kind of looks like armor all over spray from the inside....
If that's the case, any of the chemicals I suggested will effortlessly remove it.
Old 11-23-11, 06:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 345 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I am not talking about waxing it OLT. Waxing is the last step. You put wax on something after it is perfectly clean and polished to protect your work.

The reason I suggested Prepsol, Thinner, or the 3M gen ad. rem. is because they are really powerful at removing stuff like tar, baked on grease or other substances that have really bonded with the surface. If a chemical can't remove it, then you can try a compound, which is abrasive to try and polish it out.

Waxing obviously won't do anything to that.
I'm with it, I was just mobile and skimming along on 3G. I'm about over this windshield. I brillo padded the damn thing and it didn't change a BIT, but any clear fluid makes it disappear the same way water on a faded paint job makes it look nice. Friday if the local auto glass place is open I'm going to give them a look at it and decide what they tell me is best.
Old 11-23-11, 07:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I'm with it, I was just mobile and skimming along on 3G. I'm about over this windshield. I brillo padded the damn thing and it didn't change a BIT, but any clear fluid makes it disappear the same way water on a faded paint job makes it look nice. Friday if the local auto glass place is open I'm going to give them a look at it and decide what they tell me is best.
Hmm... very weird. Is the glass smooth or can you feel the substance by gliding your hand over the glass? As someone mentioned, polishing the glass with the glass kit could solve the problem, but I've never tried that myself, so I can't really give advice on how that's done.
Old 11-23-11, 07:45 PM
SOARER5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.L.T., for clarification, have you taken anything to the inside of the windshield? It sounded like you were assuming it was on the outside just because it's not visible when wet. I've detailed probably over 100 cars and never had ran into glass that couldn't be cleaned. Windshields with wiper marks is common though. Hand rub some polish or compound to it and let us know the outcome. I would hate to see you replace the windshield for no reason.
Old 11-24-11, 07:52 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

i don't recommend sand paper. the previous owner of my SC used sandpaper in several areas on a few of the windows and there are permanent scuffs/scratches that will not go away with anything i try. luckily window visors were able to hide the largest scuff i have on my driver side window glass polish is the only thing i could think of as a good solution
Old 11-24-11, 02:51 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT USE SANDPAPER!! its glass not plastic you cant just buff it out like our headlights. use acetone, ask your wife or daughter for there nail polish remover its 95% acetone
Old 11-24-11, 10:24 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious on why people assume sanding is the best way to remove it despite knowing glass is very difficult to polish out...

Oddly enough I have this similar problem in the back window of my Camry recently. Haven't had a chance to remove it but I'll have to on Sunday since I have to send my car to K&N for development purposes so I'll see what cures it. I have a bottle of Autoglym Glass Polish I could try out so hopefully that resolves it.
Old 01-08-12, 12:56 PM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastwood

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Eastwood glass polishing kit. This is an amazing product that works on glass like a polish does on paint.

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polish...ches-5658.html
jfelbab- have you used this product? I have small grained rash on windsheild and was considering it. A few comments on the product are that using a drill does not work. I am considering using my orbital buffer but i'm not sure what type of pad to use. Would be interested in your or others experience/comments.