Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Negligence: The Story of Grinding Brakes and New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 10:07 AM
TomShanK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negligence: The Story of Grinding Brakes and New Wheels

hey!

I just ventured into the Lexus family and bought a 1995 Lexus SC300. Unfortunately for me the car I bought had little to no pad left and started to squeak as I left school for Thanksgiving vacation. By the time I arrived my right rear pad had worn to metal, and I wiped all of the metal away leaving little harm or foul.

Unfortunately, my new pads, and new rear rotors are not in stock anywhere and must be shipped 5 day shipping and thus since then I have had to drive with no rear pad through the weather and it has now left brake dust, rust, and terrible death all over my new aftermarket Alloy wheels that came on the car. I have tried basic Meguiar's wheel cleaners, and an array of Eagle One products to no avail. I did a 7 hour job cleaning up the disservice that the previous owner left it in prior to being a one owner beauty, which according to this section of the forum...I feel like a failure and should try again with a 70 hour job, haha.

Anywho, my right rear wheel still looks like an Apocalyptic meltdown and I would like to remove this terrible residue of grinding brakes without damaging my wheels. I am sure many of us have dealt with this once or twice, and I am hoping someone has a solution. Here is a picture of my new Lexus. I do not have a picture of my wheel

Old 11-28-11, 11:27 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

take the wheel off and use a degreaser to clean it up, then claybar it.
Old 11-28-11, 12:14 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A picture would be extremly helpful but I would say take the wheel off and try a degreaser and clay.
Old 11-28-11, 04:42 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some close up pics would help. Maybe you can try some sonax or p21s. iron x or clay might work as well.
Old 11-29-11, 08:33 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meg's wheel brightener is as strong as it gets but it is basically acid so you must wear eye and skin protection when you use it.

Follow the dilution directions and always do as you oughta, add acid to water
Old 11-29-11, 12:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
meg's wheel brightener is as strong as it gets but it is basically acid so you must wear eye and skin protection when you use it.

Follow the dilution directions and always do as you oughta, add acid to water
+1 This is an amazing product but it is potentially quite dangerous if not used with great care. This is not like any other wheel cleaner product you may find at the auto store.

From the MSDS:
This product is for use by professional car washes and detailers only and is NOT intended for home use. Harmful if swallowed. Harmful; may cause lung damage. Corrosive. This product contains chemicals listed on Canada WHMIS. See Section 15.

Engineering measures to reduce exposure: Ensure adequate ventilation.

Respiratory protection: In case of insufficient ventilation wear suitable respiratory equipment.

Skin and body protection: Immediately remove contaminated clothing.

Eye protection: Avoid contact with eyes. If splashes are likely to occur, wear Goggles.

Hand protection: Preventive skin protection: Neoprene Gloves.
Source: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...ner%20D140.pdf

Before attempting to use Wheel Brightener I'd suggest APC and a wheel brush several times.