Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean/condition your leather seats?
As Needed
16.09%
Weekly
10.73%
Monthly
24.46%
Every 3 Months
19.96%
Every 6 Months
12.66%
Once a Year
8.58%
Never
7.51%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 04:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
jim:

The dealer was asking for $21 each for conditioner and cleaner when I picked up the rubber mats a few days ago.....

have you tried this one? I think that would be the closest one with lexus brand ?

http://zymol.com/shop/item.asp?PID=1390&scID=114

Same dilemma : not that cheap.......
Wow. You sure that price isn't for the pair? My Lexus dealer charges $11.00 each and I consider them high priced. I see that Park Place charges $7.99 each but they charge $7.50 for shipping.

http://store.parkplacestores-lexus.com

I've not used the Zymol conditioner. The only important thing is that you are happy with the results regardless of the brand or price point you prefer.

The Lexus uses a premium leather hide and it pretty much among the best around. It doesn't need a lot of treatment to keep it looking good. I use the cleaner and conditioner to keep it new looking and soft. I guess I do the leather every quarter of more often if I see any soil.

Old 05-20-07, 06:49 PM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just used my Zaino Leather in a Bottle that I received the other day.. tested out on the drivers seat... makes the seat much softer then the Meguiars wipes I used when I got the car a week ago. Also doesn't leave the seat slippery or shiny looking and the smell is nice.

So all in all i am very happy.. just my 2 cents on Zaino Leather in a Bottle.

Old 05-20-07, 07:56 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Wow. You sure that price isn't for the pair? My Lexus dealer charges $11.00 each and I consider them high priced. I see that Park Place charges $7.99 each but they charge $7.50 for shipping.

http://store.parkplacestores-lexus.com

I've not used the Zymol conditioner. The only important thing is that you are happy with the results regardless of the brand or price point you prefer.

The Lexus uses a premium leather hide and it pretty much among the best around. It doesn't need a lot of treatment to keep it looking good. I use the cleaner and conditioner to keep it new looking and soft. I guess I do the leather every quarter of more often if I see any soil.

My local dealer only charges $9 for the Lexus branded conditioner. I find it reasonably priced and also thinks it works much better compared to Lexol.
Old 05-20-07, 09:44 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have some factual data to support that opinion I'd like to see it.

The Lexus Leather Cleaner and Conditioner works very well is quite affordable when compared to most quality OTC products. And did I say how well it works? It does an excellent job. This is not Lexol or Meguiar's in a Lexus bottle. If you actually compare the products you will find different consistency, aroma, and working properties. I have not found a OTC product that was the same as the Lexus product yet and I've used nearly all of them.
Hmm for proof, you can ask the Lexus dealer yourself, and they will tell you that they rebrand their cleaner/conditioners. back in 1995, I remembered Lexus selling tanners preserve leather cleaner/conditioner..(BTW this stuff is the best smelling stuff in the world...just like new leather ) I forgot what they sell now, but I am 100% sure its rebranded.
Old 05-20-07, 10:16 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Hmm for proof, you can ask the Lexus dealer yourself, and they will tell you that they rebrand their cleaner/conditioners. back in 1995, I remembered Lexus selling tanners preserve leather cleaner/conditioner..(BTW this stuff is the best smelling stuff in the world...just like new leather ) I forgot what they sell now, but I am 100% sure its rebranded.
I've tried many different leather conditioning products and don't think the Lexus leather conditioner is re-branded. Even if it is re-branded, so what? If the Lexus leather conditioner works and is relatively cheap, I don't get your point
Old 05-21-07, 12:24 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Well, my point is, that Lexus conditioner does work, but there are other products that are more inexpensive and have the same results. The fact that it came from a Lexus dealer means that is has been marked up/over priced.
Old 05-21-07, 07:17 AM
jfelbab

Well, my point is, that Lexus conditioner does work, but there are other products that are more inexpensive and have the same results. The fact that it came from a Lexus dealer means that is has been marked up/over priced.
I agree that accessories from a Lexus dealership are likely to be marked-up quite a bit.

GST AutoLeathers has stated they supply leather cleaner and conditioner products to Lexus. I suspect it is manufactured to GST AutoLeather's specifications by another firm. GST is the manufacturer of your Lexus leathers, BTW.

Lexus is not manufacturing their own cleaner and conditioner so if that is the crux of the re-branding question that, most assuredly, is the case. I have not been able to find any OTC product that looks, feels, smells and works the same, so I doubt that is is a re-badging of a commercial OTC product. It may well be made at one of the major chem plants but using a GST formulae that is specific to them. I'd venture to say that this might be true for some of the OTC products as well.

But again, this is hardly important as long as you and I and the rest of us find and use a cleaner and conditioner that we are happy with.

Let's put this re-branding issue to bed as we are all friends here and I didn't intend for this to become a heated debate. Let's shift the discussion back to products and techniques used.

As to OTC... I can say that I am very disappointed with the Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather wipes. In my experience, they leave a very oily and slippery surface, even after rubbing them down with a towel. OTOH, their Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner and Aloe Conditioner are really quite good. While not exactly OTC the Zaino Leather Z9 & Z10 products are very nice as well. In fact, these products do resemble the Lexus stuff in many ways.

An inexpensive leather cleaner that I use on customer cars is a 1:6 dilution of Woolite / warm water. Work it in with a coarse sponge or a fine brush to a foam and wipe dry with white, 100% cotton towels. It cleans about as well as any other OTC cleaner I've used. Follow with a conditioner, especially one with UV inhibitors and softening oils.

On my personal cars, I clean and condition my leather at least quarterly. I maintain my leather with Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer on a weekly basis. This offers UV protection and no shine or slippery finish. I would also recommend 303 but you need to wipe it down well or it will feel oily and slippery.
Old 05-21-07, 02:30 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

I agree that accessories from a Lexus dealership are likely to be marked-up quite a bit.

GST AutoLeathers has stated they supply leather cleaner and conditioner products to Lexus. I suspect it is manufactured to GST AutoLeather's specifications by another firm. GST is the manufacturer of your Lexus leathers, BTW.

Lexus is not manufacturing their own cleaner and conditioner so if that is the crux of the re-branding question that, most assuredly, is the case. I have not been able to find any OTC product that looks, feels, smells and works the same, so I doubt that is is a re-badging of a commercial OTC product. It may well be made at one of the major chem plants but using a GST formulae that is specific to them. I'd venture to say that this might be true for some of the OTC products as well.

But again, this is hardly important as long as you and I and the rest of us find and use a cleaner and conditioner that we are happy with.

Let's put this re-branding issue to bed as we are all friends here and I didn't intend for this to become a heated debate. Let's shift the discussion back to products and techniques used.

As to OTC... I can say that I am very disappointed with the Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather wipes. In my experience, they leave a very oily and slippery surface, even after rubbing them down with a towel. OTOH, their Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner and Aloe Conditioner are really quite good. While not exactly OTC the Zaino Leather Z9 & Z10 products are very nice as well. In fact, these products do resemble the Lexus stuff in many ways.

An inexpensive leather cleaner that I use on customer cars is a 1:6 dilution of Woolite / warm water. Work it in with a coarse sponge or a fine brush to a foam and wipe dry with white, 100% cotton towels. It cleans about as well as any other OTC cleaner I've used. Follow with a conditioner, especially one with UV inhibitors and softening oils.

On my personal cars, I clean and condition my leather at least quarterly. I maintain my leather with Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer on a weekly basis. This offers UV protection and no shine or slippery finish. I would also recommend 303 but you need to wipe it down well or it will feel oily and slippery.
Heated debate? Hmm, didn't really seem like a debate...I didn't intend for it to be, so sorry if i made it sound like one.
As for conditioners leaving the leather oily...isn't that a good thing, since you are trying to restore the oils back into the leather?
for my car/mom's car, I clean/condition every two weeks with meguiars gold class cleaner/conditioner followed by tanners preserve cleaner and conditioner (this stuff's smell is addicting) .
Old 05-21-07, 03:29 PM
jfelbab

Heated debate? Hmm, didn't really seem like a debate...I didn't intend for it to be, so sorry if i made it sound like one.
As for conditioners leaving the leather oily...isn't that a good thing, since you are trying to restore the oils back into the leather?
for my car/mom's car, I clean/condition every two weeks with meguiars gold class cleaner/conditioner followed by tanners preserve cleaner and conditioner (this stuff's smell is addicting) .
I'm just overly concerned about not offending as we have such a good group here. So I wanted to keep this thread going in a positive direction. I used to use Tanners products years ago and liked them a lot. Don't know why I stopped using them. Maybe I'll have to go back and try them again.

No so concerned about the conditioners leaving the oilyness as I expect it and it will dissipate quickly after a toweling but I don't want it in the weekly maintenance product. I just find 303 to leave a slippery, oily film unless I rub it down really well. That's one reason I switched to Meg's Interior Detailer.

So you use two cleaners and conditioners every two weeks? Did I read this wrong or do you swap these products every two weeks?
Old 05-21-07, 05:08 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

So which conditioner do you recommend that is cheaper than $9 per bottle and equivalent to the Lexus branded conditioner?
Old 05-21-07, 05:14 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I'm just overly concerned about not offending as we have such a good group here. So I wanted to keep this thread going in a positive direction. I used to use Tanners products years ago and liked them a lot. Don't know why I stopped using them. Maybe I'll have to go back and try them again.

No so concerned about the conditioners leaving the oilyness as I expect it and it will dissipate quickly after a toweling but I don't want it in the weekly maintenance product. I just find 303 to leave a slippery, oily film unless I rub it down really well. That's one reason I switched to Meg's Interior Detailer.

So you use two cleaners and conditioners every two weeks? Did I read this wrong or do you swap these products every two weeks?
Does the Meg's Interior Detailer contain UV protection?
Old 05-21-07, 05:30 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Does the Meg's Interior Detailer contain UV protection?
Yes it does.
Old 06-06-07, 03:22 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LayinLo
I've used this producted for a few years now and the results have been SUPERB!, I cant say it enough,its Excellent, I have tried all types of detailing solvents from a-z and I not only use there leather cleaner and cond. but, the entire line of products and I have to share this wonderful find. If you can find it BUYIT... Stinger Baby!! All the way!
Layinlo. Interested in the Stinger Leather Conditioner. Where can you buy it?
Old 07-19-07, 01:27 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Blue Magic Leather and Vinyl Cleaner. It is inexpensive and works great. Not much effort to clean and remove even black oil stains on my tan leather seats.
Old 07-25-07, 07:37 AM
StevenC56
Driver

Question Pinnacle

I just found a new bottle of Pinnacle Leather Cleaner&Conditioner that we bought for our BMW and never used. Would it be OK on our new GS350 seats or should I just order the Lexus products?

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats