Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean/condition your leather seats?
As Needed
16.09%
Weekly
10.73%
Monthly
24.46%
Every 3 Months
19.96%
Every 6 Months
12.66%
Once a Year
8.58%
Never
7.51%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 09:15 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Update on the Hide Food

I went to the nearest Jaguar dealer yesterday, hoping to pick up a jar. Parts guy confirmed what I said about its discontinuance, but ran a computer search for me. I'm not sure if his computer only showed inventory for a certain region of the country, but it came up as there only being 2 jars left anywhere, at a dealership in IL. The stuff they now sell at Jaguar is packaged as part of an interior detailing kit with unknown leather cleaner, leather conditioner, glass cleaner, and some cloths. I decided I'm going to try Leatherique, instead. If that doesn't work I'll order some Surflex, and use the plastic wrap technique.
Old 04-20-03, 12:18 AM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the same warning and just purchased 2 extra jars on the web from:

"http://www.properautocare.com/hf-01.html"

Surely someone will continue making the product but I don't want to run out in the meantime.
Old 04-22-03, 09:23 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Thanks for the Link

Thanks 97LS for the link!

I went to the site and ordered two jars of Hide Food for myself. It was a lot easier than trying to search every single Jaguar dealer in the continental US How does it work on your LS's leather, especially the top of the rear bench where the sun hits?
Old 04-22-03, 10:55 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Sun... what's that? We live in Oregon!

Actually, I just purchased this car in January and had it shipped up from Houston. It had the best leather protection of all on it, dark window tinting! The citris cleaner removed all the marks and Hide Food took away the slippery feel it had from the Lexus brand leather treatment, leaving it noticably softer/supple. I have done 2 applications now (about a week apart) and will probably do another before I settle down to an annual schedule.

I knew about Hide Food from previous experience with a dried up classic Mercedes SL interior that was saved by the product. Can't help you on the rear shelf question though... we really do not have enough sunshine here to cause problems in that area over the normal life of a car.

Last edited by 97LS400; 04-22-03 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 03:44 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys, have any of you tried Soft Scrub vs. Fast Orange? According to Retrodrive, it works better....

I have some Vinyl panels I need cleaned, I suppose either of these will work...

97LS400 - Thanks for the link...I'm ordering 4 jars...maybe I'll order a case...just in case they can't get anyone else to manufacture the stuff....
Old 04-24-03, 10:23 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SOFT SCRUB~

i could not believe how clean the soft scrub makes my tan leather seats, i could not honestly believe a seat was that dirty. i got 3 fresh white towels and used them, needless to say they were disgusting when i was finished, and i still need to go over some spots. Its funny how dirty they were...they look almost brand new, and well any flaws i am getting fixed soon...but...don't buy anything else...but get some leather conditioner afterwards...it dries up quick and need to keep seats damp. b
Old 04-24-03, 05:11 PM
Bluesman
Driver

I went to the nearest Jaguar dealer yesterday, hoping to pick up a jar. Parts guy confirmed what I said about its discontinuance, but ran a computer search for me. I'm not sure if his computer only showed inventory for a certain region of the country, but it came up as there only being 2 jars left anywhere, at a dealership in IL.

If this is true, this is funny. I picked up a jar at a Jaguar dealer NW of Chicago. It was the last one they had in stock.

I wonder how Fast Orange compares to Soft Scrub ? Has anyone tried both ? I tried Fast Orange (citris scent w/o pumice) as a leather cleaner and it works far better than Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner\Cleaner. In fact, I'm never buying Meguiar's leather products again. Fast Orange removed far more dirt off of one seat than the other product removed on all seats combined. I used a nail brush as well. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of applying too much pressure with the brush. I actually brushed off a half an inch of the surface of the leather. Hence, be careful.

Last edited by Bluesman; 04-24-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 10:33 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

It was Westlake Motors in Elmhurst, if you're curious Soft scrub and other mild abrasives may work well as cleaners, but be sure to condition after you clean to restore the suppleness of the leather. Otherwise, you may get cracks over time. Also, as you found out, take the scrubbing lightly. The dye is on the top coat of the leather, since the ES does not have aniline-dyed leather that has the pigment all the way through. Not many cars under $75K do, for that matter. I think aniline dyed leather may be an option on top of the Ultra and Custom Luxury packages on the LS430.
Old 04-25-03, 11:48 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanx All...

I have gone to the site and ordered 2 jars of the CONNOLLY Hide Food myself.... And I will be going to the store to pick up some Soft Scrub with lemon or some Fast Orange too hehe....

Thanx all for the tips... I have a 92 SC300 and the original owner prob never cleaned the leather But I am going to get her back up and in top shape again like she needs And I tried Lexol cleaner and I took it back because it didn't do anything to my leather, I mean nothing, Also my leather seems harder then it should be I think (not 100% sure because never owned a Lexus or a car with leather for that matter, LOL).

Again Thanx All
Shawn
Old 04-28-03, 02:17 PM
Bluesman
Driver

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to use Fast Orange to clean dried leather seats that have been neglected for a while. Perhaps a few applications of conditioner right off the bat is more appropriate ? I cleaned the seats using Fast Orange, wiped it off w/ a damp towel and then applied Hide Food. Although Fast Orange did a nice job of removing dirt, it seems to look a drier.

Comments anyone ?
Old 04-28-03, 07:50 PM
97LS400
Rookie

That is a very good idea.

You are correct that the citris cleaner removes a lot of oil from the surface of the leather, that is why we always follow cleaning with a new application of conditioner. if the leather is too dry it would absorb cleaner into the leather instead of wipe-on/wipe-off the surface to remove dirt and marks.
Old 04-29-03, 08:31 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Before / After Photos..

Well this past Friday I went out and picked up alot of stuff for my car, I got some Fast Orange (w/o pumice) and some Meguiar's Leather Cleaner / Conditioner as well and some Tuff Stuff and The Meguiar's 3 step waxing (Cleaner / Polisher / Wax).... On Sunday I cleaned the passenger seat with the Fast Orange and it took me a little over 1hr to finish the full seat and after I was done with each section I went over that area with a damp white terry cloth and when I was finished with the entire seat I went over the seat 2 times with the damp terry cloth again to make sure I got up any of the Fast Orange that I may have missed the first time, Once I was done with that I went over the seat with the Meguiar's Leather Cleaner / Conditioner (using Meguiar's until I get my Hide Food I ordered) Below I have 3 links to some before and after pics that you all can see the results, Sorry I am not the most photogenic person but you should be able to tell from the pics how the turn out was.... If you have any questions feel free to PM me or e-mail me @ asnatlas1000@hotmail.com.

Pass seat (side view)
Pass seat (front view)
Pass seat (top view)

Also know that my seats have been neglected for a while.. I have only had my car for about a little over 3 months now and I am not sure when the last time anything was done to her.... She was used and abused But I will treat her right now

Thanx all for the tip(s) ....
Shawn

P.S. More before / after pics to come when I get done with the driver and back seats.....
Old 04-29-03, 08:59 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Thumbs up

WOW!

Your pics say it all. Sure that isn't 2 different cars? Thought I cleaned mine but might go back and try your exact procedure 'cause that is REALLY impressive.
Old 04-29-03, 09:28 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default LOL....

Nope its the same car Now the pics were taken on 2 diff days and 2 diff locations.... The Sunday (before) pics were taken when the car was in the driveway and at the time I took them it was quite sunny out... And the (after) pics were taking today (Tuesday) when the car was in the street and it was later in the day.... And again like I said I am not very photogenic so please forgive the pics...... But when I used the Fast Orange I rubbed it with my fingers some then I used a little $2.00 nylon brush from the store and scrubbed in a circular motion, giving a good amount of pressure but not too much... I had to go over the spots about 2 times and took a alot of work..... This is not EASY, just give it time and it will all work out for the best But the Fast Orange works wonders, before I used it I used some Lexol Cleaner and it didn’t do ANYTHING at all... I took it back because I was thinking it was old or something, but then when I got to reading on here about other people having older leather and they were not seeing any results then I knew it was not that Lexol was old it was just I needed a DEEP clean.... But as you can see in the pics I had scuffs marks on the seats (not the leather) and with a little time and some Fast Orange and the nylon brush it came off and looks alot better now

Again if you have any questions feel free to ask, I am not a expert, but I am here to help

Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 04-29-03 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 09:56 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Any advice for care of new leather seats? The ivory leather in my 2004 RX330 is just 1 week old, looks great and I want to keep it that way.

I bought something called Leather Cleaner and Conditioner by Tannery. I've seen their products for leather apparel and shoes and am assuming they know what they are doing with regard to leather. On the otherhand, if I'm wrong, someone please let me know. This is my first car with leather seats.

While I'm asking these newbie questions, is there such a thing as ScotchGuard for leather? Should I use ScotchGuard for cloth on the leather? I have young kids and inevitably there will be a spill. What can be done to keep liquids from seeping in and staining leather?

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats