Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean/condition your leather seats?
As Needed
16.09%
Weekly
10.73%
Monthly
24.46%
Every 3 Months
19.96%
Every 6 Months
12.66%
Once a Year
8.58%
Never
7.51%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 10:38 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch... that Scotchgard question hurt just to think about.

Lexol is the industry standard for leather conditioner. I think it leaves your leather slippery and stiff feeling.

Get some Connolly Hide Food while you still can, there is a threat that they are going bankrupt and the product might not be available for awhile. Surely someone will return the recipe though, it is the best there is and will leave you with very soft and flexible leather. This outfit has great service and the best price I have found. One jar will treat your leather about 6 times.

"http://www.properautocare.com/hf-01.html"

The best way to prevent stains is don't let the kids eat in the new car. Since that will probably not work (yes I have raised my children,) the second choice is to keep the leather well conditioned and clean it immediately when a spill occurs.

Based on this forum and personal experience, the best cleaner is a Citris based spray cleaning followed by a fresh application of conditioner.
Old 05-01-03, 01:35 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is our leather coated with a protectant film? The Hide Food says it shouldn't be used on unsealed leathers as they might discolor permenantly.
Old 05-01-03, 07:45 AM
97LS400
Rookie

That would be the standard disclaimer.

I am sure that if you used it on a raw tanned (uncolored) hide it would darken it considerable. It changed the leather "tone" on my silver-jade Lexus interior from shiny and vinyl looking to a soft and non-reflective. I did not notice a change of shade. You can try it on the underside of a headrest or something if concerned.
Old 05-03-03, 03:43 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

97LS400 - Thanks again for posting that link...I ended up buying 2 cases (8 jars)....I figure I have two cars with full leather, I'd rather have excess than not enough!
Old 05-03-03, 09:16 PM
woodyaht
Driver

I am glad I saw this thread, I just ordered 1 1/2 case myself. My leather is already in need of cleaning at 2000mi. ( the work truck thing ). I was looking for something to condition it with after cleaning.
Old 05-08-03, 01:00 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Hmmm I am a loyal Hide Care user and have about 2 half used jars. Wondering if I should run out and grab some from the Jaguar dealer next door.

The bigger question is where do I store them? I usually keep them in the refrigerator but where would I keep a pack of 4 Hide Care?
Old 05-08-03, 07:08 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Just stick them in your coat closet
Old 05-19-03, 10:17 PM
Bluesman
Driver

I used Fast Orange on the rear left seat and noticed that it seemed to dry the leather further even though I followed it with an application of Hide Food. The leather had been neglected (bought used), but still in decent shape other than the fact it was starting to dry out a bit. I decided to not use Fast Orange before an application of Hide Food on the rear right seat to see the difference if any. I took a look over the weekend and the left seat does appear to be drier. Hence, although Fast Orange cleans well, if your leather appears to be drying out, take care of that issue before concerning yourself with cleaning it. It's just my personal opinion.
Old 05-20-03, 09:22 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

is there any validity to that statement. should you address your dried out leather before attempting to clean it?
Old 05-20-03, 10:12 PM
97LS400
Rookie

What Bluesman said makes sense. You do not want the Citris cleaner to soak into the leather, it's too strong a cleaning solvent. A dry or checked leather surface would just suck it in.

In that case a liberal coat of Hide Food (or whatever you like) could be allowed to soak in overnight before cleaning. The result would be more of the cleaner would stay on the surface where the dirt is.

Makes sense... I've "saved" a hard leather Mercedes interior before but all I did was keep slathering on the Hide Food until it was soft. That was before these Citris cleaning products were available.
Old 05-29-03, 05:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Just got the leatherique treatment and cleaner. Not a chance yet to really try it out but the instructions are interesting in that they say to use the treatment before the cleaner. I would have thought the other way round but what do I know? Then again, maybe they are talking about first usage and want to make sure you get that leather moisturized before you clean it. I was just a little worried about driving contaminants into the leather but I will try anything to keep it from cracking. Initially I thought Lexus leather was typical Japanese, stiff and not as durable as the European leather. But after repeated treatments (lost count) of Soffener and Griot's Leather Care, the leather has gotten very supple and up there with the best I have seen. Just soaks up conditioner like a sponge for a while.
Old 06-15-03, 09:12 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron, did you get a chance to put the Leatherique on? I'm ordering some soon, was wondering if you had some tips. I've been sun-baking in some Hide Food with good results, but I'm thinking a liquid product like Leatherique might be easier to work with. Also, you mentioned "Soffener," which I'm assuming is Surflex brand? How did that work? Did you use the saran wrap technique?
Old 06-24-03, 12:53 AM
Enzo
Driver School Candidate

I have been using Leatherique for a couple of years now. I can say its the only leather treatment I have seen that you can feel the differance in one treatment. You always use the Leatherique first. It soaks into the leather and brings all the dirt to the surface. Dont be afraid to leave the Leatherique on your seats for a couple of days. Just let it bake in the sun. After the first day alot of it will have soaked in. Put some more on. When you clean it with prestine clean no matter how good you do it the day after some Leatherique will have oozed out of the seats. Clean it again the next day and then it will be fine. Its really great stuff. My car has 120,000 on it and people look at the seats and swear it only has 20,000.
Old 06-25-03, 07:17 AM
Deanski
Driver

Einzett leather care or Autoglym on my Ecru.

To clean, Lexol cleaner. The protectant is too shiny.

Deanski
Old 06-25-03, 12:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Squarehat - Sorry I didn't notice your questions till now. Got busy and had some biz travel come up. Leatherique and Prestine will be on tap for either this weekend or next (the 4th). I haven't done the saran wrap trick but the technique seems fundamentally sound. If you have let your leather go for a while and really want to "force" the treatment in before something nasty happens (hidden code for a crack) I would definitely give it a try. I am not sure whether it is the leather on Japanese cars or not (bimmers are also quite stiff but Jaguar is very supple) but the Lexus leather is quite stiff and I am of the opinion that it is the processing because it does respond very well to treatments but it takes frequent applications. I am obviously in Cal and the high temperature and low humidity are not good for leather. The Soffener is the Surflex brand and it works very well. I can't remember the name of the normal treatment from them, I got both, but it wasn't as impressive. The Sofener does a good job but to really get the flexible and soft feel I like, I follow up with the Griot's leather conditioner. I am hoping the Leatherique gets what I want with one application but I have to say that whatever I have done, the repeated applications have made a difference. My GS4 which I have really worked on is much better than my wife's new GS3 so I have to start working on her seats as well. I used Connoly hide food on my E type years ago and it is good stuff but I think the liquid treatments soak in better which, after all, is the most important thing. I totally agree with you, putting on leather treatment in cold weather is not very useful, it just sits on the surface. The detailer that taught me more about finishes and interiors than I have ever seen taught me that trick years ago. When it is warm, bring out the leather treatment, put it on, and just leave it for as long as you can. He did several concours cars for Pebble Beach and the interior of one Roller in particular I rememer was just amazing. I think one thing I like about the Soffener and Griot's product is that they are actually quite light on scents. Zaino leather treatment for example may be great for the leather but it was far too aromatic for my tastes. I will let you know how the Leatherique does.

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats