Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean/condition your leather seats?
As Needed
16.09%
Weekly
10.73%
Monthly
24.46%
Every 3 Months
19.96%
Every 6 Months
12.66%
Once a Year
8.58%
Never
7.51%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 09:22 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Waxy feeling and residue?

Originally posted by Lexterious
I've started using the Rolls Royce/Bently/Jaguar Hide Food on my 330's Ivory interior. ...and I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm new to leather. And due to the fine quality, I'm prepared to invest some time a couple of times a year and put on the Hide Food.

However, unless I'm doing it wrong, I notice a greasy feeling afterwards that later becomes a waxy feeling. By waxy, I mean that a week or 2 after you put it on, when you touch the seats, you are left with a waxy feel on your skin. I'd hate see a waxy substance sticking to a fine wool suit.

My method is as follows (gleaned from some posts here):

1) bake the car under the hot sun with the windows up for a few hours to warm up the leather
2) put on the Hide Food fairly liberally.
3) continue baking for 2 or 3 hours
4) use a soft terry towel and rub hard to get as much of the Hide Foold off as possible.

Despite step 4, I still get the waxy feel.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better product that keeps the leather soft that does not leave behind a waxy residue?
Comments anyone?
Old 09-03-03, 09:49 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Waxy feeling and residue?

Comments anyone?
The directions with the Leatherique products say to use the conditioner (Rejuvinator) first, and then follow with the cleaner (Prestine). I've had SUPERB results doing it this way (even though it seems counter intuitive). I see now the reason is probably to avoid the waxy/glossy residue that conditioning inevitably leaves.

I would highly recommend the Prestine cleaner as being the best I have tried so far. It leaves Lexol and Zymol in the dust!

I've been pretty impressed with the Rejuvinator as well, but I haven't yet tried the Griot's. I'll get some and do a comparison.
Old 09-04-03, 04:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Waxy feeling and residue?

I've started using the Rolls Royce/Bently/Jaguar Hide Food on my 330's Ivory interior. ...and I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm new to leather. And due to the fine quality, I'm prepared to invest some time a couple of times a year and put on the Hide Food.

However, unless I'm doing it wrong, I notice a greasy feeling afterwards that later becomes a waxy feeling. By waxy, I mean that a week or 2 after you put it on, when you touch the seats, you are left with a waxy feel on your skin. I'd hate see a waxy substance sticking to a fine wool suit.

My method is as follows (gleaned from some posts here):

1) bake the car under the hot sun with the windows up for a few hours to warm up the leather
2) put on the Hide Food fairly liberally.
3) continue baking for 2 or 3 hours
4) use a soft terry towel and rub hard to get as much of the Hide Foold off as possible.

Despite step 4, I still get the waxy feel.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better product that keeps the leather soft that does not leave behind a waxy residue?
The waxy feel is not that unusual for leather treatments. However, I am surprised that it stayed after you buffed it. I normally don't buff much if at all. You are trying to hydrate the leather and then keep it hydrated with any of the treatments. The creamy treatments, like Connoly Hyde Food, do tend to have the waxy surface a lot more than the very liquid treatments like Surflex or Griot which really soak in very quickly. Even though there is some waxy "feel" I wouldn't worry too much about it coming off on clothes. If it does bother you, just buff again. The buffing with the terry towel shouldn't be that hard, you don't want to damage the surface of the leather. Really just back and forth to remove the surface collection.

Probably the reason I will stick with the Surflex and Griot is because they tend to soak in very quickly. Having tried several treatments in quick succession, the most supple feel I get is after the Griot's so I think I am out of the experimentation stage right now. My GS4 leather really has developed a very supple feel to it while my wife's GS3 is still softening up. I am not sure how many applications I have made to the GS4 over two years but the GS3 just has three treatments and I think it will take several more. The area I really watch is the "pillowy" leather puff on the doors on the GS. Seems like this is an area that wants to dry out quickly and feel like cardboard.

By the way, heat and sun are the leather's worst enemy. I wouldn't worry too much about having the car heat up before the treatment. Just apply your treatment and then let it sit in the sun to help the stuff soak in. Doesn't need to be direct sun (probably better if not) just a hot day. Then get it out of the sun.
Old 09-05-03, 03:59 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though the Lexus window glass has a rather high UV protection level, maybe IR too as they get really hot in the sun, I use a towel over the seat leather for the front seats if I have to leave her out in the sun all day!
Old 09-07-03, 02:17 PM
95sc300t
Driver

I've used the Leatherique also, and have noticed good results, although the top of the rear seat's headrest still feels like a snare-drum.. 95 Sc300, black interior, bought 4 months ago. It was a Lease car, so I guarantee nobody tried to keep it up, although the interior is in quite nice condition, but dry.

Anyways, I removed the rear seats from the car, and had them in my shop for about a week. During that week, I would apply copious amounts of the Leatherique to the entire seat, then used a black plastic trashbag, cut into a huge square, and laid over the entire leather surface. Let sit for a day..

Next day, remove plastic, use Prestine Clean, and clean it all off.. Re-apply Leatherique, and plastic bags, and repeat the next day.

The results were good, but not perfect, as the seat tops are still cardboard hard, but I may have messed up by not sitting them out in the sun.. I have an infrared heat-lamp, and maby I'll pull the seats back out and help them with some heating action during the day while I'm working...

Ron430.. Did you do the prestine clean after appying the Leatherique, and it still left them glossy? I noticed my black leather was glossy after the Leathereque, but once I cleaned them well with the Prestine Clean, they had that nice dull-lustre that new leather should have.
Old 09-08-03, 11:10 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Everything I ever tried that left a gloss came off when I buffed. What concerned me is that for some reason I have stuck in my head that I really want a conditioner that soaks in as much as possible. The gloss finish had me feeling that it was mainly sitting on top. But to tell you the truth, I think all of these better treatments can keep the leather in good shape but it takes a lot of treatments, definitely not once or twice a year.
Old 09-13-03, 03:29 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well we've got a heat spell in NorCal all this week, so I guess I'll re-condition my leather this weekend so it will be all prepped for next weeks Big Meet.

I seldom go to this forum, but after reading how much effort you guys put into taking care of your interior, I'll try to step up my cleaning / conditioning intervals to see what I've been missing.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-13-03 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-13-03, 07:18 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Hide Food

Hide Food is loaded with solvents to penetrate the leather, that's why it also has a somewhat kerosene odor.

As for Lederpflege, it has worked well for conditioning and slight protection due to the wax in it as well.

Prior to ANY leather conditioning, you HAVE to clean the leather just as you do to your finish. Failure to do this simple step results in a conditioner that will make leather somewhat stiffer or not as supple.

The Leatherique products works very well in cleaning as well as some others as well, but as with any product, it takes time. Rush through it, and you get poor results.

Since I have the Ecru, with top down, I get flyback of a light dust in the rear area, so this needs more attention. Periodic cleaninig with Lexol cleaner is OK, but now and then I need to step to a more penetrating cleaner such as Leatherique.

For dash and door area I use the 303 Protectant, but you need to apply and wipe, or it gets glossy. Once wiped, it looks nice and matte, and is UV protected a requirement for the SC430!

The Autoglym is a nice leather treatment as well.

Try some of the products, then stick to what works for you!

Nothing worse than all the hard work to have seats that have that "butt-shine" look

Always check the Autopia.org site for more info on detailing!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-13-03, 07:36 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Leatherique Application

OK, for those of you that want to see Leatherique being applied and the proper technique, please see this link:

Leatherique application

Enjoy

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-13-03, 10:14 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm definitely sold on Leatherique. Did you guys order directly from Leatherique, or is there another distributor? Which size would you recommend? I want to do this treatment 2-3 weekends in a row, weather permitting.
Old 09-13-03, 06:16 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

I've been following this thread and tried the Lexol cleaner and conditioner to replace the Meguiars Gold Class cleaner/conditioner I had been using since my prior car (BMW 328i w/ light gray leather). I am very impressed with the conditioner, but the cleaner is worthless. Can't even clean the easiest of dirt from the ivory leather in my RX300 that even Meguiars got out.

The biggest problem I need to fix is the marks the tires made on the back of the rear seats when driving them to the tire shop to be installed. Anyone have any ideas of what could take this out? I'm afraid to use the citrus cleaners or softscrub, but may try it as a last resort. Gotta get rid of the black marks! HELP!!!!!!

JP
Old 09-13-03, 09:05 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Go with the SoftScrub, especially on Ivory.

Look at it this way, you put TIRES on your leather, there's not much that could be worse...

I know, it was hard for me to bring myself to do it the first time too, but it really is amazing

Last edited by wmulli; 09-13-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-14-03, 03:53 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by wmulli
Go with the SoftScrub, especially on Ivory.

Look at it this way, you put TIRES on your leather, there's not much that could be worse...

I know, it was hard for me to bring myself to do it the first time too, but it really is amazing

I know, I know......I'm a dumba$$ for letting the tires touch the leather on the back of the rear seats. Hind sight is 20/20 and I didn't think it would cause these ugly marks that I can't seam to get out. The more and more I think about it I realize I'm going to have to suck it up and do it. Did you follow up the softscrub cleaning with a really good conditioning? Did you notice the leather being drier after using the softscrub?

Thanks,

JP
Old 09-14-03, 11:17 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Will the leather be drier after SoftScrup? Well, yes and no... Most American and Japanese (and some European) leather is "painted" rather than dyed (for quality control issues) with a lacquer type dye. This doean't really "sink in" and leaves a hard "skin" on the leather. This is why sometimes conditioners just "sit" on top and don't penetrate. Using the SoftScrub (gently), you can not only remove the stain, but you open up this "skin" and allow the conditioners to penetrate.
After seeing this effect from spot cleaning my seats, I went ahead and did the SoftScrub on all my seat surfaces. Follow up with a good leather conditioner (I really like the Leatherique "Rejuvinator") and cleaner (again, I really like Leatherique's "Prestine"), and you end up with leather that's not only spotless, but *much* softer than when it came from the showroom
Old 09-14-03, 05:13 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexol'd mine today after 6600 miles, I plan to maintain this one right. Did a light cleaning then the conditioner and it looks great.

No real dirt to remove with the towel covers I use in the summer.

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats