Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02, 01:22 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Clay Bar

Well last week I painted my brake calipers black with high temperature paint and painted my wheel wells black with bedliner paint. Problem is that the aresol vapors from the bedliner paint carries in the air for a long time. So basically by the time I was done painting my car trying to make it look cleaner, I had inadvertently coated my entire car, body, windows, head lights, tail lights, everything, in a coarse, gritty layer of bedliner paint. The overspray was invisible to the human eye, but you could definitely feel the rough, sandy texture on my entire car and the windows had a bit of a blur to them as well. I removed the paint vapors from my windows with a razor blade that day, but the body paint wasn't so easy. After scrubbing my car down with dishwasher soap, and waxing my car twice, I gave up until recently Hermosa reminded me of clay bars!!

So I bought a Mother's Clay Bar today at Kragen and went to work with it. I spent four hours clay barring every last inch of my car including all the light housings and windows. Let me tell you, coming from a person that washes his car every four days and waxes every month, my car never looked so glossy and clean after the clay bar treatment! Not only did the clay bar remove all the paint overspray, but all the small sap stains, spots, and crud that collected over the years. My car now has it's silky smooth feel back as well as it's glassy wet finish. Clay bar is truly a God-sent invention! I'm going to stock up on this stuff, it looks like there's going to be a new monthly maintenance procedure for my Lex

BTW, does anybody know if clay bay strips car wax? Do I have to wax my car again?
Old 10-12-02, 01:53 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Yeah I also have Mother's Clay Bar, awesome for removing little blemishes or emebedded dirt.

Regarding if it strips wax, I'm not too sure on that, however to remove old wax, use a dishwasher detergent such as joy or palmolive. THey have an ingrediant that will remove all wax on the car.
Old 10-12-02, 10:38 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Not Generally

Lex - Sal Zaino claims that his claybar doesn't strip wax or Zaino products from the paint so that's a pretty fair endorsement.
I claybar my GS quarterly but go ahead & do the Zaino treatment from square one ( either with the Z-1 PolishLok or using the new EFX component ). U might consider trying the claybar buffing pad ( & your choice of orbital buffer ) from Griot's if U plan on doing large areas of the car - really speeds things up!!
Old 10-12-02, 10:54 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clay Bar

Originally posted by lex400sc
After scrubbing my car down with dishwasher soap, and waxing my car twice, I gave up until recently Hermosa reminded me of clay bars!!

BTW, does anybody know if clay bay strips car wax? Do I have to wax my car again?
You put two layers of wax on the overspray, and the clay removed the overspray. It removed the wax, too.

Wax it. If you're using carnauba wax, it's the perfect time to glaze your Lexus before you apply wax. Meguiar's #7 Showcar Glaze or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will really make it shine.
Old 10-12-02, 04:12 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Makes sense... Thanks! I'll try that Showcar Glaze some time today or tomorrow. Sounds intriguing!