Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

PC detailing advice..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11 | 07:30 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
As far as WHEN to do an IPA wipedown. Obviously you wouldn't do it BEFORE polishing. I don't know why you keep bringing that up; I know I never mentioned that. You do it after to remove "polishing" oils so your wax or sealant has a clean surface to bond with. That's it..
I apologise to you, I've read your first post again.

people are talking about stripping LSPs with IPA....

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Please give me some links or proof that 50/50 70% IPA will burn paint. Kinda curious because I highly doubt it's possible, even if you purposely try to ruin paint using that.
Bring your car around, and I'll see what I can do!

In the mean time, you can educate yourself with this http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=208081

Last edited by LexyISF; 12-29-11 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-29-11 | 08:18 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I got a black car, and i use IPA 50/50 after polishing I dont see any bad effects.
it's your car, do whatever works for you

FYI though (excerpt from Mike Phillips article linked in the post above):

"Personal Recommendation For Removing Waxes and Paint Sealants
To remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant, I recommend using a light paint cleaner or a light polish applied by hand or machine. A light paint cleaner or abrasive polish will effectively remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant AND leave the paint looking clear and glossy. I call this working forward in the process because the goal is to create beauty.

Chemically stripping the paint will tend to dull the paint; it certainly doesn't increase gloss and clarity. You don't see the dulling effect unless you're working on black paint and repeat the process multiple times. Since not everyone works on black paint, and you're not going to make stripping your car's paint a daily routine, it could be you won't see the dulling effect on your car's paint but it does take place.

Wiping a clear coated black finish over and over and over again with any type of solvent isn't going to make the top clear layer of paint more and more clear, it's going to do the opposite, that is dull it down.

So chemically stripping paint is what I call working backwards in the process. I, personally, prefer to work forwards in all my detailing projects but do understand the reasons why some people want to chemically strip their car's paint, or their customer's car's paint, and each person can decide what the best approach is for their needs. "