Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Door still cover scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 04:13 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarr
Meguiar's PlastX is excellent for fine scratches, yellowing plastic and cleaning cloudiness and oxidation from clear plastic and lenses.
Which is completely irrelevant to the situation here...

Big Mack
Old 01-15-12, 07:21 AM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use PERL - http://www.autopia-carcare.com/perl-...e-coating.html

If you use a 1:1 dilution it does a great job on darkening the black plastics and rubbers. Does not make the scratches go away but they blend in better. Works great on tires as well.
Old 01-16-12, 08:53 AM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neomedic
Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for the scratches on the plastic door sill covers from normal use?? There are scuff marks and light scratches from normal wear and tear.

Also, there are scuff marks and scratches on the door. Especially the cover for the speakers.

What do you guys do to try to get it cleaner looking? Thanks.
Big Mack you should actually read the original post which is asking about removing scratches from plastic. DA.
Old 01-16-12, 10:44 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Big Mack you should actually read the original post which is asking about removing scratches from plastic. DA.
Plastx is not going to remove the scratches on the door sills, however, since it is not designed for this application. Or perhaps you have a unique vehicle that has clear plastic door sills?

As for abbreviating calling me a dumbass, you can save that remark. I'm not the person recommending a clear plastic polish for door sills, nor would I stoop to that level. If you cannot accept being wrong, I suggest not posting inaccurate information or making suggestions that have absolutely no bearing on the problem the OP is asking about.

I would also suggest reviewing our forum rules prior to remarking like that again. We expect everyone to behave as adults.

Big Mack
Old 01-16-12, 12:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Guys knock off the name calling. If you can't post maturely and politely then don't push the button.
Old 01-17-12, 04:37 PM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

Apparently the PlastX I use does not realize that colored plastics are, well in fact plastic. I works just fine on any plastic. I have used it on plastic on a cell phone, the plastic woodgrain on the dash, and oh my the plastic on the interior of my trunk which is black. It is great at removing scratches and the results are not noticeable from the surrounding area.
Old 01-20-12, 11:17 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Apparently the PlastX I use does not realize that colored plastics are, well in fact plastic. I works just fine on any plastic. I have used it on plastic on a cell phone, the plastic woodgrain on the dash, and oh my the plastic on the interior of my trunk which is black. It is great at removing scratches and the results are not noticeable from the surrounding area.
Hmmm...cell phones have clear plastic and clearcoats over color, the woodgrain also has a plastic clear coat. What trunk trim are you working on? If it has a layer of clear, that would explain why Plastx helped.

Plastx is not designed to work on ABS, which is what the door sills and speaker grilles are made of, and why I said what I said. Neither has a clear coat over them, so Plastx is not the optimum thing to use, IMO. Meguiars also does not recommend it for ABS components - but they could be wrong.

OP - pictures would go a long way. It may be something where you could very (very, very, VERY) carefully heat the plastic a bit to soften the scratches, but that's an extreme solution that shouldn't be a first resort. I've done it when it was the only option, but it can be tedious and again - you have to use extreme caution or you're going to warp the bejeezus out of the panel.

Big Mack
Old 01-20-12, 04:37 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Will get some pictures up as soon as I can. Car is in the shop now. Probably early next week, pics will be up. Thanks.