Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car washing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 02:34 PM
lanks18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car washing

how often is too often to wash the car does it hurt the clear coat of the car if you wash it every other day, (because of dust and road grime) even if using P21S shampoo???
Old 10-16-02, 02:59 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wash every day.. heh.. just keep it at home in garage then you won't have to
Old 10-16-02, 03:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i was my car every week.... but then i wax my car just as often, or maybe once every two weeks.
Old 10-16-02, 03:16 PM
lanks18
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by alexus
wash every day.. heh.. just keep it at home in garage then you won't have to
good idea, never thought of that
Old 10-16-02, 03:45 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

I have let a pro conserve the coat of my car. If you do this every other year there is no need to wax your car and it will be protected against acid rain. The car will just get happy every time you wash your car. For more info http://www.mrcap.com/en/index.html

/Freddo
Old 10-16-02, 05:11 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're using a quality wax or sealant on your car's finish, wash your car as often as you see fit. Make sure you replenish the wax/sealant as needed. Please note, however, that improper washing technique/tools can scratch the surface of the finish.

The main problem with washing the car that often is the fact that you're touching and rubbing the finish that often. I try not to touch the paint too much.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-16-02 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 01:27 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Originally posted by fboukari
I have let a pro conserve the coat of my car. If you do this every other year there is no need to wax your car and it will be protected against acid rain. The car will just get happy every time you wash your car. For more info http://www.mrcap.com/en/index.html

/Freddo
Sounds interesting but I live in South Florida and they only seem do this in Europe. What do they actually put on the car? Can it be bought in the United States?
Old 10-17-02, 02:35 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

WWW.MrCap.com=Mr Crap
These type of products were a big hit in the U.S. back in the early 90's. Even Sears came out with their own version that they sold to new car dealers. Truth is, this miracle product was car wax, just marketed differently. Dealer applied the wax, and told you " Your car is now sealed, come back in 6 months or a year."
Word got around that the dealers were just overcharging for a detail job, and the trend dissapeared from the markets, but some dealers still use this gimmick, mostly the Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, Olds costumers still fall for this crap.
Old 10-17-02, 02:59 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gs4to4
WWW.MrCap.com=Mr Crap
These type of products were a big hit in the U.S. back in the early 90's. Even Sears came out with their own version that they sold to new car dealers. Truth is, this miracle product was car wax, just marketed differently. Dealer applied the wax, and told you " Your car is now sealed, come back in 6 months or a year."
Word got around that the dealers were just overcharging for a detail job, and the trend dissapeared from the markets, but some dealers still use this gimmick, mostly the Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, Olds costumers still fall for this crap.
I think it is very unfortunate that you discredit a company and their product you have never tried. Mr Cap is very well known and has been around for a very long time 10years+. The person who recommended them to me has used this service for his Ferrari and Aston martin for many years. I tried out Mr cap one and a half year ago and my car is still looking newly waxed and when it rains it behaves like a new waxed car. The car has a deep gloss that even new cars don’t have. When I stroke my hand over the paint it feels like a polished layer of plastic, very smooth. I’m very happy with their service and it is no hoax similar to the ones you are describing.
/Fredric
Old 10-17-02, 06:04 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Fredric,
I guess you're right. I shouldn't have said anything negative about the company because I did not have any personal experience with the product.

But you have to wonder, if this is true, and the product really does what it claims, why isn't this the latest craze?
Its been around long enough for people to test it, and with such incredible results, it should have replaced all of the other car care products on the store shelves. But it hasn't, so that's why I wonder if it does what it claims.

Last edited by gs4to4; 10-17-02 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 07:53 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gs4to4
Fredric,
I guess you're right. I shouldn't have said anything negative about the company because I did not have any personal experience with the product.

But you have to wonder, if this is true, and the product really does what it claims, why isn't this the latest craze?
Its been around long enough for people to test it, and with such incredible results, it should have replaced all of the other car care products on the store shelves. But it hasn't, so that's why I wonder if it does what it claims.
A lot of people use this company in Sweden but mainly for more expensive cars since it cost a lot. I paid about 520$ just to get started with the outside of the car and I have to pay about 200$ each time I want them to do it again. If I showed you my car I’m sure you would do this every year as well. This company is a Swedish company that is expanding slowly across Europe so they are not located in the States, but maybe you can find similar companies there.
I can understand that this is hard to believe. I wouldn’t believe it either if I hadn’t seen the result live. All I can say is it’s not the latest craze here either only for people who care enough about their cars to spend this kind of money. I have attached a picture of my car. I have never waxed my car and it’s a 1999 gs300. Now remember I will do this treatment all over again this spring so the car is not perfect since I have had it for two summers and one winter (with salt and snow) since I did it the first time.
This is not a product that I can buy from the store. I leave my car at their garage and first the clean it deeply, polishes it and finally they put this formula all over it for protection. I would guess that it is some kind of plastic. This takes a whole day for them.
/Fredric
Old 10-17-02, 08:47 PM
fboukari
Lead Lap

I washed the car yesterday and a drove it today so it’s not completely clean. I had problem posting the pic so here is a link.
Mr Crap
Old 10-18-02, 12:57 AM
ceoart
Pole Position

Originally posted by fboukari

A lot of people use this company in Sweden but mainly for more expensive cars since it cost a lot. I paid about 520$ just to get started with the outside of the car and I have to pay about 200$ each time I want them to do it again. If I showed you my car I’m sure you would do this every year as well. This company is a Swedish company that is expanding slowly across Europe so they are not located in the States, but maybe you can find similar companies there.
I can understand that this is hard to believe. I wouldn’t believe it either if I hadn’t seen the result live. All I can say is it’s not the latest craze here either only for people who care enough about their cars to spend this kind of money. I have attached a picture of my car. I have never waxed my car and it’s a 1999 gs300. Now remember I will do this treatment all over again this spring so the car is not perfect since I have had it for two summers and one winter (with salt and snow) since I did it the first time.
This is not a product that I can buy from the store. I leave my car at their garage and first the clean it deeply, polishes it and finally they put this formula all over it for protection. I would guess that it is some kind of plastic. This takes a whole day for them.
/Fredric
Does it protect against paint chips caused by pebbles being kicked up on the road?
Old 10-18-02, 01:58 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Fredric,

Americans are crazy about cars. More so, than in any other country in the world. I really dont understand why it doesn't exist here. Bring some over and you'll be richer than Bill Gates

Last edited by gs4to4; 10-18-02 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-18-02, 02:10 AM
fboukari
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ceoart

Does it protect against paint chips caused by pebbles being kicked up on the road?
No only minor scratches. Well actually the minor scratch will be on the formula instead of the paint.
/Fredric

Quick Reply: Car washing