Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

car wash screwed my paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 06:14 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I suspect your finish can be restored with a cleaner/wax or a light polish. I'd try that first. If that doesn't do it you have a couple choices. 1. Take it to a professional detailer and have it done or, 2. Buy a dual-action polisher and supplies and do it yourself.

Winter can be a difficult time for those in the northern states. It's currently 9°F here now and 5-8 " of snow is due tomorrow. For the last several winters I've negotiated a season pack of wash codes from my local Laser Touch-Less car wash. I was able to get 16 codes for $50, around half the cost of the regular price. I buy the lowest wash that does the underbody flush and no wax or other treatments. I run the RX through every week. I then take it home and use Ultimate Quick Detailer to remove anything that might have been missed and follow that with Ultimate Quick Wax to refresh the sealant. These washes use pretty harsh detergents so it is important to refresh your wax coating periodically. These are both wipe-on/wipe-off products so I can do the whole SUV in about 30 minutes. I use UQW on everything including glass and trim. UQW makes the surface slick so that it cleans up easier every week.

THe UQD/UQW approach works equally as well in the southern states during the milder winters. In southern Florida, winter is the dry season and you can maintain a car with these two products for weeks at a time if the car is garaged nights. I've actually gone 6 weeks without a normal car wash using these products one winter a couple years ago.

If you go this UQD/UQW route make sure you use quality microfibers and keep them absolutely clean.

I buy these products by the gallon. Meguiar's UQD is their (M135) Synthetic Spray Detailer product in the Professional line and their UQW is (D156) Synthetic XPress Spray Wax in their Detailer line. Watch for free shipping offers and check out the discounts offered by our forum sponsors.

Besides the Meguiar's route that I use there are several other options for rinse-less washes and numerous spray detailers and spray wax products from numerous vendors.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-19-12 at 06:17 AM.