Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

car wash screwed my paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 01:13 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wash screwed my paint

Decided to go wash my car at a self serve car wash and long story short I feel like the water had rust or they were using sewage water or something. I was drying my car and noticed that there were sand and rust spec marks on my paint. I tried to take pics of it but it hard to see in the in the pictures. What do you guys think I should do about it? You guys think it will buff out ? I just got my car like two weeks ago and it's really bugging me. I decided to go wash it some where else hoping it would come off but that didn't work. I know it might not be that big of a deal to some but just wanted some insight on what I should do.

Last edited by kingCUONG; 01-18-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 01:19 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kingCUONG
Decided to go wash my car at a self serve car wash and long story short I feel like the water had rust or they were using sewage water or something. I was drying my car and noticed that there were sand and rust spec marks on my paint. I tried to take pics of it but it hard to see in the in the pictures. What do you guys think I should do about it? You guys think it will buff out ? I just got my car like two weeks ago and it's really bugging me. I decided to go wash it some where else hoping it would come off but that didn't work. I know it might not be that big of a deal to some but just wanted some insight on what I should do.
Did u use the brush?
Old 01-18-12, 01:33 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try feeling the surface to see if the clear coat that got messed up? If the clear coat is fine, perhaps clay bar can remove the stains on the clear coat.
Old 01-18-12, 01:36 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

get the car detailed, it will go away .
Old 01-18-12, 01:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hpoefully it's not permanent. Probably better go to go a hand wash place if you have one in the area.

I go to one in my area.
Old 01-18-12, 02:00 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

see if our in-house detaling gurus can answer your question: moving to the detailing section
Old 01-18-12, 02:03 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Thats odd never seent hat before keep us posted as im curious on what it could be...
Old 01-18-12, 02:43 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

recomend a clay bar and if that does not do it, a slight wet sanding of the area and polish and wax will do it (detailer can also do this). BUT DO NOT DO IT if you don' t know how to sand--that is the easiest way to destroy the paint if done wrong.
Old 01-18-12, 05:37 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need a professional to do a clay-bar/wax for you. Itll go away so dont overstress it.
Old 01-18-12, 06:02 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

clay bar should get it out
Old 01-18-12, 06:06 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Talk to the car wash owner, sometimes they will pay to have it fixed (still waiting to hear if you used the brush).
Old 01-18-12, 07:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

are you sure it wasn't like that before the wash? i can't imagine some dirt transfer from a car wash brush or water permanently bonding with the paint to a point where you cant wash the debris off with a bucket of soap, sponge, and water.

it's probably iron fallout that's built on the paint over the years. in that case use Iron-X or do it the hard way with a clay bar.
Old 01-18-12, 08:43 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gladius
Did u use the brush?
naw just did a quick spray down to get the dirt off from the rain.

Originally Posted by shadowman
Did you try feeling the surface to see if the clear coat that got messed up? If the clear coat is fine, perhaps clay bar can remove the stains on the clear coat.
it still feels smooth but its like engraved in the paint as if it was pushed into the clear coat.

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
get the car detailed, it will go away .
I probably will real soon. I went home and sprayed her down with the water hose in case the water from the wash was sewage or something lol.

Originally Posted by Sango
Hpoefully it's not permanent. Probably better go to go a hand wash place if you have one in the area.

I go to one in my area.
I definitely will from now on.

Originally Posted by kickin8
see if our in-house detaling gurus can answer your question: moving to the detailing section
thanks, and sorry bout that.

Originally Posted by 600rr05
Thats odd never seent hat before keep us posted as im curious on what it could be...
will do. some off the spots went away with a little bit of hard rubbing but other spots no so much.

Originally Posted by funglenn
recomend a clay bar and if that does not do it, a slight wet sanding of the area and polish and wax will do it (detailer can also do this). BUT DO NOT DO IT if you don' t know how to sand--that is the easiest way to destroy the paint if done wrong.
yeah I've never done any wet sanding. I will probably end up bring it to a detailer from now on.

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
You'll need a professional to do a clay-bar/wax for you. Itll go away so dont overstress it.
thanks man. I will def do that from now on.

Originally Posted by streetx
clay bar should get it out
probably will do that with in the next day or so or just bring it to a professional detailer.

Originally Posted by DKnight350
Talk to the car wash owner, sometimes they will pay to have it fixed (still waiting to hear if you used the brush).
naw I didn't use a brush just a quick spray. but I ended up going back to the car wash and asking for the owners number and I called them, the guy that answered says that he use to rent the car wash but he wasn't getting any business so he stopped paying for the rent and now the old own supposedly owns it again.. I feel like the current owner doesn't maintain it well because I noticed when I turned on the foam brush it didn't even seem to foam up, it just kinda sprayed water so I was already a bit iffy about using it at all.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
are you sure it wasn't like that before the wash? i can't imagine some dirt transfer from a car wash brush or water permanently bonding with the paint to a point where you cant wash the debris off with a bucket of soap, sponge, and water.

it's probably iron fallout that's built on the paint over the years. in that case use Iron-X or do it the hard way with a clay bar.
I'm for sure sure, like I literally walk out to my car every hour of so just to check to see if anyone has been effin around with it, lol I know that's lame, been doing this since I got the car about two weeks ago. and the paint was shiny everytime I looked at it, til this day.
Old 01-18-12, 08:44 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

and thanks for the quick responses guys! this forum is so awesome with the quick replies.
Old 01-18-12, 09:15 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

I agree, it's probably iron (brake/rail dust) that's embeded in the clear (lexus has relatively soft clear) and now is starting to rust. Claying will only shave the tops off the embeded iron. you should get some iron X paste or spray and decontaminate that paint.

Even though my car is black, I use iron x once a year as part of my winter prep. All that salt only helps accelerate the rusting of any iron embedded in the clear.

you do not need to wetsand. That should be a last resort if all else fails.

Quick Reply: car wash screwed my paint