Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax or Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 06:55 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I too am not a fan of semi-permanent solutions attempting to protect my paint. I like being able to change my mind if I want to, and not being forced into polishing something off and potentially creating a different problem, if I make a big mistake in product application.

Originally Posted by neomedic
^^^^^I understand these sealants might not bring out a show-room shine...
I wouldn't assume that until you see quality applications of different sealants in person. e.g. I'm very happy with my use of Zaino (recent pictures of my BMW here -- click them for big versions) that is WAY better than when I picked it up at the dealer). Unsolicited, my Lexus service advisor used to comment every time I took my SC430 in, saying he'd never seen a better shine. I think you'll see in those couple of pictures that a sealant can look very "wet" all by itself. It can last months before beading wains too much, but since it (at least Zaino) can be easily applied in a single step with no buffing, a layer can be added in no time when the urge strikes you. It costs me about $1.50 in basic product for each layer, so it's not a bank breaker at least for me. While I've stuck with Zaino for many years now, both wax and polish/sealant approaches can produce wonderful results. It comes down to the look you want, application you're comfortable with, durability, and cost. It's all in what "flicks one's Bic" (boy, that analogy dates me).
Old 01-22-12, 08:14 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i notice in general a carnuba wax will bring out more depth in the color but wont be as durable as a sealant.

I like Menzerma sealant for my cars
Old 01-22-12, 09:18 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree BertL. I was worried about the whole process using Zaino but it was a waste of stress. I use the Z2 with a bit of the ZFX in it and an ounce does my whole RX with some left over. I have even done most areas twice with that ounce. I think before the development of the ZFX it was a little more complicated but now it is very simple and there is no residue which is aswome.

You let it dry and buff out with clean microfiber towels and it glows. Do it again and with your excess and buff out. Then a little Z6 gloss enhancer and it looks like the car is wet it shines so much. I have only been able to do it in the winter time so I am excited about using it in the summer with the sun shining.
Old 01-22-12, 10:17 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I like Wolf Chemicals from what I've been reading. I will see how I like after some use. Was also considering Menzerma, but read that Wolf will last a bit long and can a little longer between application because of the nano particles. But I will keep Zaino in my mind as well.
Old 01-22-12, 11:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

^^^^^I understand these sealants might not bring out a show-room shine, but this car is a daily driver and I live in sunny dusty so. cal. Being a daily driver, it has to be practical and this really helps. Only have to do extensive work of clay, polish, and reapply sealant every 4-6 months is good in my book.
That's not true at all. Whoever told you that was highly misinforming.
Old 01-22-12, 11:10 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

So far I like Wolf Chemicals from what I've been reading. I will see how I like after some use. Was also considering Menzerma, but read that Wolf will last a bit long and can a little longer between application because of the nano particles. But I will keep Zaino in my mind as well.
Menzerna Power Lock is a nice product. It's similar to BFWD... but it's a regular paint sealant. From my experience collinite lasts longer than Menzerna PL. Wolfs BW will last MUCH longer with proper care. Not a little bit longer.
Old 01-22-12, 12:45 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One if the reasons I use the klasse twins and collinite 476. It rains here so much, any product will have a shorter life than nice dry places. My car is also a DD.which is why i'm not using a product such as swissvax crystal rock.

Durability is important. In the summer I apply my nicer products such as max wax.
Old 01-22-12, 01:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jetfire
One if the reasons I use the klasse twins and collinite 476. It rains here so much, any product will have a shorter life than nice dry places. My car is also a DD.which is why i'm not using a product such as swissvax crystal rock.

Durability is important. In the summer I apply my nicer products such as max wax.
Really? Is that the only reason why?
Old 01-22-12, 01:31 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

How about for the wheels? I have some 5 Axis S5:F in matte gun metal finish. These wheels don't have a clear coat on them. What is something decent and I can get at local auto parts store? Don't really want to spend $20+ for Wolf Rim Shield.

The wheels look like this:
Old 01-22-12, 03:53 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

^^^^^I understand these sealants might not bring out a show-room shine, but this car is a daily driver and I live in sunny dusty so. cal. Being a daily driver, it has to be practical and this really helps. Only have to do extensive work of clay, polish, and reapply sealant every 4-6 months is good in my book.
No, they do.
You just missed the point completely!

These semi permanent / permanent coatings (opti-coat, gtechniq C1, C.Quartz) work awesome! As someone into detailing, they work too good!

It gets dusty where I live here too, and sealant is better than wax in that regard.
Old 01-22-12, 03:57 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

How about for the wheels? I have some 5 Axis S5:F in matte gun metal finish. These wheels don't have a clear coat on them. What is something decent and I can get at local auto parts store? Don't really want to spend $20+ for Wolf Rim Shield.
Why not? a perminant coating is WAY cheaper in the long run, and makes cleaning soooo much easier. Do them once, do them properly.

I've got C.Quartz on my ISF wheels, it holds up to the mountains of dust created by the big Brembos. The best thing i've used previous to that was opti-seal. Wipe on, walk away. very easy to use.
Old 01-22-12, 04:14 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Anyone got a link for a good one cheap? Wolf's Rim Shield from Detailer's Domain is $30 + Shipping. That's close to 40. Too much for me.
Old 01-22-12, 04:20 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

How about Chemical Guys WAC_303 Wheel Guard Wheel Wax? Any good?

Old 01-23-12, 01:44 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Opti-seal or FK1000P mate. Or even Collinite.
Old 01-23-12, 09:53 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need a specific rim wax just use something durable like Collinite 845. You can put it on your paint too. At $15 bucks, it's a steal

Quick Reply: Wax or Sealant