Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wax or Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 09:18 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience with chemical guys wheel wax?
Old 01-24-12, 09:58 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't. Not really a product that's talked about much. Why are you so stuck on that specific product? Collinite 476S is easily one of the best options for wheels. I put it on all my wheels for years... my supra rear brakes dust like crazy and in the past it would be a pain in the *** to wash the dust off.

With one coat of 476, I can wash the dust off like butter for a good 4-5 months after application... with regular car soap no effort at all. On ebay, most sellers have free shipping on it. You can't beat it.
Old 01-24-12, 11:10 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

^^^^ Only because Amazon sells it. Free 2 day shipping without tax = Good deal
And if you order early in the day, you will get your stuff next day even though it's 2 day shipping =)
Old 01-24-12, 12:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neomedic
^^^^ Only because Amazon sells it. Free 2 day shipping without tax = Good deal
And if you order early in the day, you will get your stuff next day even though it's 2 day shipping =)
Go for it man. I watched the video on their website about this wax, seems like a good product and the price is good also.

Plus he mentioned it's up to 400 degree F heat resistant. That's good so you can put it on your exhaust tips after you polish them out to help them stay clean and repel dirt.
Old 02-05-12, 12:28 PM
SMUChris
Driver School Candidate

I have the stock Lexus chrome wheels on my '99 SC3. Any suggestions on cleaning/protecting them?
Old 02-05-12, 03:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SMUChris
I have the stock Lexus chrome wheels on my '99 SC3. Any suggestions on cleaning/protecting them?
Swissvax Wheel brush for the face of the wheel:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Swiss...ush_p_141.html

EZ Detail Brush for back barrels:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/EZ-De...ush_p_637.html

A wheel cleaner of your choice... something like:

Sonax FE:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...ack_p_474.html

Other real nice ones are Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner or you can even use Iron-X or Iron Cut.

For sealants, you can use a very wide variety. My choice is Collinite 845 topped with Collinite 476S. After that (after they're waxes or sealed) you can use regular car shampoo and water. Remember most wheel cleaners will remove wax or sealant because they are strong cleaners, so you should only need to use them when the wheels are filthy. Lexus brake dust is very easy to clean if you clean the wheels regularly.
Old 02-06-12, 04:21 AM
SMUChris
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Appreciate the info!
Old 02-06-12, 05:05 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

over the past weekend i tried Mothers Sealant & glaze followed by Mothers Carnauba Wax. so far i really like the shine . i think from now on thats what i am going to do
Old 02-07-12, 06:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Carnauba, Sealants and Coatings

My observations regarding my use of carnauba, sealants and coatings.

First, it is important to separate the terms durability and protection as they are not the same.

1. Carnauba wax offers me higher protection against acidic forms of contamination, i.e. acid rain, bird droppings and bug guts etching, than a sealant. Carnauba usually has a lower durability. There are exceptions i..e. Meg's #16 or Collinite 845 which rival many sealants in durability.

2. Sealants typically offer longer durability against most other contaminants. Sealants generally last a lot longer in hot climates than carnauba. Carnauba can and will evaporate at temperatures above 160°F.

3. Coatings offer very strong protection against almost all contamination but lack the appearance of the others.

Appearance wise, sealants as a group, offer higher reflectivity while carnauba offers a deeper look. Carnauba usually yields some paint darkening. This is a generalization and some carnauba wax won't darken paint and some sealants do darken paint. For example, I find Meguiar's #16 a higher reflective non-darkening carnauba and Meg's recently released Ultimate Wax does darken the paint, so some of the older generalizations may not always hold true. Coatings seem to ad a visible film on the paint and not always a desirable look, IMO.

Also of note is the fact that many carnauba wax products are really hybrids which contain both carnauba and sealants. Products like Meg's Gold Class Plus come to mind.

Sealants can be a base for a carnauba and if used together offer better protection against all types of contamination.

Lastly, the recent coatings products. These offer a level of protection that is better than anything that has been available before. They are relatively easy to apply but are difficult to remove. This is both good and bad. For a daily driver a coating might offer a higher degree of protection and clearly a longer lasting one. They do suffer from the same chips, scratching and marring and IMHO, don't offer the same high quality appearance but they are close. They are great for those who have no garage and/or who have little time to keep their cars show ready. I also notice that they feel grabby and not slick but yet shed dirt and wash easily.

I use a sealant on my personal vehicles and when I want a bit more winter protection I top with a carnauba. I don't need the protection of a coating and dislike the fact that when a coating gets marred, it needs to be removed via an abrasive polish. I'm also fairly **** about how my cars look and don't need a coating to last 6 month to a year. I'm washing and caring for my cars weekly and applying wax or sealants frequently. I want my cars to look like they were freshly painted at all times. This is my therapy, LOL.

All three types of protection have a place and there is a viable market for them.
Old 02-07-12, 02:19 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neomedic
Anyone have experience with chemical guys wheel wax?
no need for a specific wheel wax just use something durable. Can't beat 845 for paint or your wheels:

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...heel-wax-test/
Old 02-18-12, 05:46 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My observations regarding my use of carnauba, sealants and coatings.

First, it is important to separate the terms durability and protection as they are not the same.

1. Carnauba wax offers me higher protection against acidic forms of contamination, i.e. acid rain, bird droppings and bug guts etching, than a sealant. Carnauba usually has a lower durability. There are exceptions i..e. Meg's #16 or Collinite 845 which rival many sealants in durability.

2. Sealants typically offer longer durability against most other contaminants. Sealants generally last a lot longer in hot climates than carnauba. Carnauba can and will evaporate at temperatures above 160°F.

3. Coatings offer very strong protection against almost all contamination but lack the appearance of the others.

Appearance wise, sealants as a group, offer higher reflectivity while carnauba offers a deeper look. Carnauba usually yields some paint darkening. This is a generalization and some carnauba wax won't darken paint and some sealants do darken paint. For example, I find Meguiar's #16 a higher reflective non-darkening carnauba and Meg's recently released Ultimate Wax does darken the paint, so some of the older generalizations may not always hold true. Coatings seem to ad a visible film on the paint and not always a desirable look, IMO.

Also of note is the fact that many carnauba wax products are really hybrids which contain both carnauba and sealants. Products like Meg's Gold Class Plus come to mind.

Sealants can be a base for a carnauba and if used together offer better protection against all types of contamination.

Lastly, the recent coatings products. These offer a level of protection that is better than anything that has been available before. They are relatively easy to apply but are difficult to remove. This is both good and bad. For a daily driver a coating might offer a higher degree of protection and clearly a longer lasting one. They do suffer from the same chips, scratching and marring and IMHO, don't offer the same high quality appearance but they are close. They are great for those who have no garage and/or who have little time to keep their cars show ready. I also notice that they feel grabby and not slick but yet shed dirt and wash easily.

I use a sealant on my personal vehicles and when I want a bit more winter protection I top with a carnauba. I don't need the protection of a coating and dislike the fact that when a coating gets marred, it needs to be removed via an abrasive polish. I'm also fairly **** about how my cars look and don't need a coating to last 6 month to a year. I'm washing and caring for my cars weekly and applying wax or sealants frequently. I want my cars to look like they were freshly painted at all times. This is my therapy, LOL.

All three types of protection have a place and there is a viable market for them.
1. IIRC Megs #16 and 845 are hybrids. There's quite a few waxes that will last 6+ months on the paint, all subjective of course!

3. I've found C.Quartz and other glass coatings have more gloss than regular sealants. A ton more!
Not sure what coatings you've tried, but use as directed, they are easy to remove. C.Quarts being the most wax like, in you can leave the residue on the paint for a bit before removing. Try and remove it too soon, it's sticky.

I totally agree with your views on the coatings on your paint though, but I wouldn't use anything else on my glass, trim, and wheels!