Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is it bad to leave wax on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 11:11 AM
Lvangundy

Default bad to leave wax on?

I started waxing my car yesterday with Zaino, but very quickly the sun went down and I ended up trying to get some of the wax off in the dark..doesn't work that well..;-(

So, my car is about half waxed right now. LOL..I'll get it off today, but is it BAD per say, to leave it on for more than the 30 minutes of recommended drying time?
Old 10-21-02, 11:24 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Not Really!

Sal Zaino told me that it was OK to leave his products on overnight ( if necessary ) as long as U can keep additional debris from settling on top of the wax. Anything that settles there ( dust, bugs, etc ) can scratch the paint when U remove the dried wax/polish. I do it but I have an enclosed garage so debris is minimized but i use some compressed air to gently blow the finish off just in case. Doesn't seem to take any additional elbow grease to remove the Zaino like it would with a carnuba wax product!!:eek:

Last edited by Mean Gene; 10-21-02 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-21-02, 03:12 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Not Really!

Originally posted by Mene Gene
Doesn't seem to take any additional elbow grease to remove the Zaino like it would with a carnuba wax product!!:eek:
Geez...Zainoheads No product wars here, please.

Some carnauba waxes would have been easier to remove after an overnight cure. The wax I regularly recommend, S100/P21S, can be applied and removed in less than 30 minutes on an RX 300. Much faster on a car that you don't have to use a ladder.

Back to the thread already in progress: Anytime there is dust or debris on your finish, you should remove it before applying wax/sealant. Do you have a California Car Duster? I'd use that followed by an application Z-6 to lift off any dust before proceeding again.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-21-02 at 03:20 PM.