Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear bra cracked

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 06:56 PM
TracyAnnFL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra cracked

I just bought this GS400 and the clear bra is way destroyed. I've taken it to a couple places that said they could get it off but I wasn't happy with the job so I made them stop.
It seems the paint underneath is bad now, or at least will be scratched if I remove it. I suppose I could have the hood painted but I'm worried about cost as well as the paint not matching (it's black, if that matters)
I'm thinking about putting a bra on it, but I would really really like to see a pic of one on a car in case anyone has one?
Any other suggestions? Love this car and would really like to fix it up, thanks!
Old 02-06-12, 07:33 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have 3M film on your car. I tell people al lthe time that 3M has acrylic for a topcoat. Well acrylic does not stretch so during the install process it gets very fine cracks in it that are not visible to the eye. Over the years being exposed to hot weather the film will begin to break down.... then one day it will crack all over. I have seen 3 cars this year where that has happened (2 of them were Lexus models). There really is no way to get it off. Sorry you have to deal with this. It is one of the reasons why I dont install 3M film... or remove it.
Old 02-06-12, 09:50 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually there is a way to remove it. I helped my friend do this for his client way back during one of his open detailing clinics. We waited for the sun to warm up the bra and then slowly peeled piece by piece away. Any residue left over was removed by Goo Gone or something similar
Old 02-07-12, 11:44 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PTmobile
It sounds like you have 3M film on your car. I tell people al lthe time that 3M has acrylic for a topcoat. Well acrylic does not stretch so during the install process it gets very fine cracks in it that are not visible to the eye. Over the years being exposed to hot weather the film will begin to break down.... then one day it will crack all over. I have seen 3 cars this year where that has happened (2 of them were Lexus models). There really is no way to get it off. Sorry you have to deal with this. It is one of the reasons why I dont install 3M film... or remove it.
What do you recommend for a quality film for install that will last the life of the car? Thanks.
Old 02-07-12, 12:00 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
There are quality films out there but couldn't say there are ones that guarantee life time of the vehicle. From my understanding the quality ones are about 5 to 7 years if I am correct.
Old 02-08-12, 04:00 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by neomedic
What do you recommend for a quality film for install that will last the life of the car? Thanks.
I have been installing Ventureshield Ultra for 8 years now without one single warrranty issue. The warranty for this film USED TO BE a lfietime warranty until 3M boguht them out. It is still manufactured the same way so it is still a good film... but the warranty is only 5 years now. Xpel Ultimate is a new film that has a 10 year warranty. It is a very good film; perfectly smooth, stian resistant, and a self healing topcoat. Avery Nano is my favorite film though. It is VERY smooth, stain resistant, and very durable. It also hs a lifetime warranty for both material and labor... something no other film offers. Any of those three will be great.
Old 02-08-12, 08:33 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 3M bra on my car (was on car with zero mileage) based on the VIN history report. Mine is cracked, but I'm not going to take it off due to the what might happen. It's still doing it's job, just has cracks through it.
Old 02-08-12, 04:18 PM
TracyAnnFL
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info : )

Seems like maybe a clear bra in florida is not a bright idea unless the car is garaged. I went around to 4 more shops and the only answer I'm getting is to have the hood re-painted. I found a good estimate and I'm having the entire front done tomorrow, I can't wait to see it!!
Old 02-08-12, 05:25 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
I have a 3M bra on my car (was on car with zero mileage) based on the VIN history report. Mine is cracked, but I'm not going to take it off due to the what might happen. It's still doing it's job, just has cracks through it.
I HIGHLY recommend you take it off ASAP before it disentigrates. Once it breaks dow nyou will not be able ot get it off. Trust me, I took one off for a friend one time and it took 9 hours of hard work. I would not do it again. Get it off before it is too late. Replacing it wont be much.
Old 02-10-12, 08:21 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Can anyone post pics of what a cracked clear bra looks like? Haven't seen on before.
Old 02-13-12, 05:22 AM
TracyAnnFL
Driver School Candidate

I only have one not so great pic of the cracked bra but I'm sure you can get the idea.
The suggestions about using a heatgun, blowdryer, or leaving it in the sun and then peeling it off works I bet if the bra is still in one piece, not sure how cracked yours is but I would get it off asap!
I've taken it to 5 shops, 3 of them worked on trying to get it off and couldn't, painting the front seems to be the only option.
If you are the actual owner that had the bra put on....might you still have warranty on it?

I'll try to add a pic here, if I screw it up feel free to PM me, I'll email it
Attached Thumbnails Clear bra cracked-bra-edit.jpg  
Old 02-13-12, 09:28 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

^^^Thanks for the pic.

I was thinking of getting a clear bra. Guess I should say away?
Looks like 3M Guard is the worst with cracking?

Anyone know a shop to get Avery nano in Greater Los Angeles area? Thanks.
Old 02-14-12, 02:50 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand
why you can't peel a cracked clear bra off. I mean is it stuck on the paint?
Old 02-16-12, 04:22 PM
PTmobile
Driver

3M is the only bra that will do that. I have pulled Ventureshield and other brands off of cars over the years and all of them come off easily... and have never seen another film crack. It has to do with 3M using acrylic for a topcoat. Other films do not use acrylic. Once it has cracked the film has basically deteriorated... so it wont come off in little pieces. It simply wont come off. I have tried everything over the years and have bascially told people I will not remove it... no matter how much they pay me.
Old 02-16-12, 05:08 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great. I just ordered some 3m...

Quick Reply: Clear bra cracked