Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 03:08 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Removing Scratches

Okay, so i've done a lot of research on this topic, and i still don't know what to do...?

I have a 2007 IS250 Tungsten Pearl (Silver) that has fine scratches and swirl marks through out the paint, mainly because of dealership and commercial car washes, and the car being about 4 years old with 60K on it.

I don't have a DA nor can i afford one right now, and i don't wanna do anything too complicated or risky. I've already tried Meguiars Ultimate compound and all it did was remove water spots..?

If there is anything i can do to make my paint look like new again, please let me know guys! Thanks in advance.

P.S- The paint is in good condition and never been repainted, no oxidation, and waxed every 4 months.
Old 02-11-12, 03:16 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiars Ultimate Compound requires a lot of "passion" in order to do optimal work. I've used it personally and liked it for an over the counter product but I ultimately went back to my PC for faster results. I say give it another shot and really work it in. Of course, my recommendation would be to save up for a proper detail by a professional and then maintain it yourself. Making sure a dealership never washes it again is a great start after you get that detail
Old 02-11-12, 03:20 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

You got to do a full detail and invest in a DA. A DA and the rite detail stuff will make a world of difference. Just wax alone won't do much. As for deep scratches only repainting can take those out.
Old 02-11-12, 03:28 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, but what's a DA?
Old 02-11-12, 03:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Sorry, but what's a DA?

DA = dual action

as in Dual Action Polisher.

Something like this..
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...-polisher.html
Old 02-11-12, 03:34 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

You need the following

Clay Bar system
Dawn to strip all previous waxes, polishes, grime.
Sponges
Two Bucket method
Porter Cable 7424
Different cutting pads to get down deep to the scratches to even out the paint.
Polishing pads
Waxing Pads
Tons of micro fiber towels
I use all meguiars paint correction material.
Use 3m compound for deep scratches (expensive)
Meguiars wax to finish

(it will be expensive, but well worth every penny. You'll have enough to do the car every couple of months to keep it looking new)

Your best website for everything

www.autogeek.net
Old 02-11-12, 04:50 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are working by hand and already tried UC and didn't get the results you expected you are left with three choices.

1. Buy a tin of cleaner wax and live with the swirls.

2. Seek out a quality pro and have your car detailed. Expect to pay around $300 or more.

3. Invest in the tools and materials to do the job yourself. Expect to pay around $300 but you will be able to repeat the process many times as you see fit.

I would suggest something similar to ihazabonar's post above.

1. You need to take charge of the washing and drying of your vehicle to eliminate those swirls in the future. This means learning what materials and techniques will avoid causing the swirls in the first place. You should learn the two bucket wash method. This means buying a couple new sheepskin wash mitts. It also means buying a couple waffle weave drying towels. If you must use a tunnel wash find a totally touchless one.

2. You also want to buy a clay bar kit and clay your car. You should cut the clay bar into two or three pieces and put the unused pieces in a baggie. If/when you drop a piece of clay toss it and grab one of the unused pieces. Use lots of the supplied lube and work on a cool paint surface out of the sun. Start with the horizontal surfaces first and clay a 2' x 2' section at a time. Feel the clayed area with your fingertips to see that it is smooth as glass and all the contaminants are removed and them move on. When the clay piece gets dirty fold and re-kneed it into a pad and continue. Once you finish the paint, clay the glass. Finally, clay the wheels and then toss that piece of clay as it is too contaminated to use again.

3. After claying, it is polish time. In your case I'd suggest you either buy the tools and materials to do this yourself but if you are tight on cash just go over the car with a cleaner/wax and live with it until you can swing the purchase of a good quality DA polisher and the needed pads. You will never get the results by hand that you can get with a DA or Rotary buffer.

4. Once you have achieved that perfect swirl-free finish it is up to you to keep it from getting swirled again. You can help by learning the best washing and drying methods and also by using a maintenance product after every wash. You may have noticed that the paint, immediately after you have waxed it, seems to shed dirt and grime much easier. This slickness is great but it seldom lasts more that a couple washes. That where a maintenance spray wax come in. These spray on / wipe off products refresh the wax and keep it shedding dirt. They are easy to use and only add 15 - 20 minutes to the wash time.

If you decide to go the DA route I'd recommend looking at Meguiar's 5" MF Polishing Kit.
Old 02-11-12, 04:57 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=263887
Old 02-11-12, 05:00 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

This one is a great show off of what the benefits are

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=655151
Old 02-11-12, 09:40 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Well, i guess if i want the results i want, i need to invest in a DA. Time to get saving.
Old 02-12-12, 10:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Well, i guess if i want the results i want, i need to invest in a DA. Time to get saving.
If you don't want to buy a DA and all the accessories then you may want to ask around and see if you know anybody with one to polish your car for a decent price. Getting a professional you don't know to polish your car is going to be pretty expensive, at least $200, it will probably cost more then buying the DA yourself which is why you shoul first see if you know someone who will do it as a friendly favor or for a lower price. I would not take it to one of those places that offer to do it for $60-100 either because you are not going to get a proper good polishing job for so little, they often do more damage then good.

If you get a DA, a Porter Cable 7424 is a excellent choice. You will nee to get backing plates, pads, and polish too. You should be able to get everything for around $200-230 if you shop around.
Old 02-12-12, 10:47 AM
ihazabonar
Driver

the going rate is about $200 for something basic on most occasions. If you want it done right, it can cost up to $5-600 easily.
Old 02-28-12, 11:46 PM
Lex41510
Rookie

does anyone know a good mobile detailer who does quality work? Please PM me if you do. I am in the San Francisco Area..
Old 02-29-12, 03:21 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Better to post in the regional forums for that one bud
Old 04-26-12, 04:13 AM
ditch2
Driver School Candidate

good info in thread, thanks