Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what is the best leather cleaner product out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 08:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Thank you jfelbab! Quick question...

Hi jfelbab, I have found the information you've shared very helpful. Thank you again.

As quick context, I began using Lexol about 20 years ago, and about 13 years ago, I switched to Zaino cleaner and conditioner. This time around, with our new LX that has red semi-aniline, I've decided to take a different course, and after absorbing the content shared here, Leather Masters it is.

I get your point about buying Strong cleaner and diluting and also - of course - see the value in the protection cream. In looking at LM's website, I do see other products that may be beneficial (and some arguably overlap, for a nice extra dose of confusion!). In particular, there is a Leather Barrier product that specifically speaks to dye transfer protection. However, from reading this thread, it sounded like the conditioning cream would - among other things - accomplish just that. So, as I try to figure out what to buy, I thought I would ask. There are myriad kits online, as you know, and while I'm happy to just buy the cleaner and conditioner, if there are additional products I should have in hand, I might as well... I really don't want this red leather to suffer the same fate as the parchment leather in our previous LX.

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-17, 02:54 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this the correct Leather Masters Kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Master-Care-Kit-Lifter/dp/B0096PEMBI/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501797039&sr=1-3&keywords=Leather+Masters+kit https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Master-Care-Kit-Lifter/dp/B0096PEMBI/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501797039&sr=1-3&keywords=Leather+Masters+kit
Old 08-03-17, 03:24 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjohnson

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Maste...er+Masters+kit
Please share your experience if you do try it. I greatly appreciate and respect jfelbab's contributions to this forum. Unfortunately, I haven't had great results with Leather Masters. I used the Strong Cleaner, Leather Revitalizer, and the Protection Cream.

At first, the cleaner didn't seem to do anything. Then, I read that jfelbab mixes equal parts of hot water with the cleaner. This worked much better and the microfiber towel finally showed dirt, sweat, and grime coming off from the steering wheel leather. I didn't dilute the protestant nor vitalizer and maybe it was user-error on my part and I used too much but it almost looks like the rear door handles are a little bleached from the leather lotions. The leather seems lighter on the arm rest than the door. I might go back to Meguair's Interior Detailer instead. I had high hopes for Leather Masters but I expected more out of it.

On another note, jfelbab's advice to leave a damp towel beneath the seats seems to help keep the leather from wrinkling too much. I leave the towels on a plastic bag beneath the seat at night and by morning the towel is dried stiff. That reminds me, about time to leave the towels out again.
Old 08-03-17, 03:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjohnson

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Maste...er+Masters+kit
It's a decent kit.