Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wax newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 09:56 PM
460LSinTN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wax newbie

bought 07cpo ls460 in oct...what ever wax they put on is starting to bead/roll off less and less...i love the color of the car--i call it grey-but this car shows insane amounts of waterspots

what wax should i go with ?
should i buy microfiber cloths/or those "wax" pads?

also what do you use to clean the space in the gap at the gear shifter area?
Attached Thumbnails wax newbie-460wedge.jpg  
Old 03-17-12, 11:13 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for something that is very durable so you don't have to do it as often or something that'll make the paint look super wet that wont last as long? That'll probably determine our recommendations to you OP.

As for supplies, quality microfibers and foam applicators are a great start. For the budget build, Meguiars Supreme Shine MF towels and their Gold Class foam applicators are pretty decent
Old 03-18-12, 01:00 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could have both with Victoria Wax Concours!

A sealant like Menzerna Powerlock or Blackfire Wet Diamond over a glaze like Prima Amigo will give you ease of maintenance, as well as a very nice glassy look on that color. Sealants give a somewhat dust free effect too. The Amigo will clean the paint, fill a few swirls, and set the paint up nicely for a wax or sealant.

If you want something that's super easy to use, take a look at Optimum Car Wax. It's a spray wax (well hybrid wax/sealant), and gives a nice wet look that lasts a few months. It's still got non-stick slick effect too.

It just depends on what your priorities are, and what you want to achieve. Very nice 460 too!
Old 03-18-12, 01:59 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

If you wash your car lots (once per week), you could just use a spray wax like the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, it's a spray and wipe off, really easy to apply (10-15 minutes). You can even spray the wax onto the car right after a wash when the car is still wet, and dry the car in one step. But spray wax don't last very long, it is usually used in between "proper wax" sessions to maintain and boost the coat of wax already on the car.

Apply a coat of sealant once every 6 months or wax once every 3 months. To apply wax/sealant, you will need to apply with a pad and buff off with a microfiber towel (look into something like the meguiars Surpreme shine microfiber towels or the cobra super plush jr. 600 - these are my favorites). Do not cheap out on those as lower quality mf towels WILL scratch your gorgeous Lexus paint (made that mistake myself). Good luck!
Old 04-26-12, 04:12 AM
ditch2
Driver School Candidate

for spray wax, i use wax as u dry