Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Exterior Detail

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 06:56 PM
bx167

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Detail

I have 99 RX.
The body is in good shape but the wax is not as good as the new vehicle. I want the shiny glass look back.
Any recommendation?
If it is DIY, do you guys know any wax that can offer the glass look finish?
When you guys apply the wax, do you do it by hand or machine?
If it have to be done in a shop, any recommendation around Bay Area that has good deal?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-29-02, 10:08 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Today there is a lot of confusion about the difference between a polish and a wax. Many manufacturers are marketing waxes as "polishes" and the terms have become almost interchangeable.

Professionals know there is a big difference. A polish is more like a paint conditioner that restores valuable oils to the paint, eliminates fine scratches and creates incredible high gloss not possible with waxes. An application of a pure polish should be followed by waxing to protect the shine and extend its life.

If you own a dark-color car, you'll see a dramatic difference if you use a polish.

I use Zano Bros. and Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze, both with impressive results.

Last edited by KayGee; 10-29-02 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 11:24 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zaino will give it to you ( it has for a black car I own ), because you can layer it one coat over the other, unlike most products out there. If you use a wax with solvents and/or cleaners in it ( which is most of them ), you can't apply more than 1 coat simply because those chemical cleaners and such simply remove the previous coat. Most people don't realize this. You can find all this out at;
http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php?

BTW, if you use Meguiar's #7 before you apply Zaino products, the Zaino WILL NOT BOND to the glaze on the car. The glaze is engineered with oils and fillers and a polymer like Zaino can't bond to it. A bit like applying a bandage to a wet finger. This you will also find out at Autopia.

If you want to use #7, use a carnauba wax afterwards and you'll be fine. No polymers though. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Exterior Detail-sclowproref.jpg  
Old 10-29-02, 12:09 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Gman...Now that's what I'm talkin' about...

bx, you can easily do it by hand. Surface prep is key.

I'm a carnauba user. A glaze like Meguiar's #5, Meguiar's#7, or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is like make-up for your car. It will help hide imperfections in your paint and make it glossy. You really need this step to make your paint glow.

I've been using S100 wax. It's also known as P21S. It is some amazing stuff. You can get it at many Harley-Davidson shops for $15. Call around.

It is the easiest wax I've ever used and it leaves behind a reflectivity that's incredible. I can wax my RX, top to bottom in 30 minutes or less with S100.
Attached Thumbnails Exterior Detail-s1.jpg  
Old 10-29-02, 02:20 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Originally posted by Guitarman
if you use Meguiar's #7 before you apply Zaino products, the Zaino WILL NOT BOND to the glaze on the car. The glaze is engineered with oils and fillers and a polymer like Zaino can't bond to it.
You are correct. First you need to wash with Dawn to remove the old stuff. I haven't done any scientific studies (as others have) but I can't tell the difference in Zaino and Meguiar's #7. Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-02, 02:38 PM
Guitarman

Default If prepped properly, probably not much difference

I think it takes MANY coats of Zaino to look dazzling, just one or two looks no better than any other good product. I think some folks are underwhelmed when they first use it, because they perhaps have unrealistic expectations.
My T-Bird had about 30 layers of Zaino on it when that pic was taken(wish i had a better camera), and it had over 3x that many now, so it really does have a glass like finish you can fall into, But...there's no reason you can't get that with Pinnacle Souveran (I have some for customers that ask for a carnauba -don't use it on mine because the sun would melt it fast , since it has a 165 degree fracture point) or other high-end waxes. There is a bit of difference in the KIND of shine Zaino gives over a hand glaze/carnauba. Most agree the latter is deeper, while the Zaino or another polymer is more "plasticy" or "glassy"looking (terms i've read on Autopia) without the depth... It comes down to personal preference. I can only say they both look good to me. Daddy-O's RX looks amazing to me FWIW.

#7 is great stuff , but it does wash away quickly. Not a problem if you apply it on a regular basis. It does give a deep shine and fills a lot of imperfections . I used it and Imperial hand glaze a lot years ago before I went polymer. Cheers fellas, gotta go work on my pearl GS now after all this... see what you've done? lol.
Attached Thumbnails Exterior Detail-sc-lakes-redflowers.jpg  

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-29-02 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-29-02, 05:37 PM
Midian
Driver School Candidate

This site has all the information and products you could need : http://www.properautocare.com/exteriorcare.html

Personally, I am not willing to invest the hours required for Zano. I just don’t have that kind of free time. It would take days for the stuff to even dry here in Seattle. Instead, I use the two Klasse products. They go on fast and last up to a year. I just recently washed and used the Klasse All in One via a Porter Cable polisher in about 30 minutes. The next day, I applied the Klasse Sealant Glaze by hand in 45 minutes. 1 hour and 15 minutes worth of work will yield glowing paint in Seattle’s heavy rain for about 6 months. Carnauba wax lasts a month at most here. Again, check out that web site for the low down. Also, check out www.autopia.com for pro detailing tips.
Old 10-29-02, 06:50 PM
bx167

Talking

THanks for all the info

Actually, I'm kinda lazy to read thru the forum.

Can someone provide the detail information on how to detail the exterior?

Like what kind of wash do u guys use for prep for polishing. how many time you have to wash it?

And how many layers of polish you apply in order to get the look?
Since the weather here in Bay Area is mild, carnauba is the best to use, right?

After all, a good wax should apply to it right? Like #7?

Thanks again
Old 10-29-02, 08:02 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

If you're going with carnuba,

Wash with Dawn, or P21S Total Auto Wash. Clean as well as you can. Feel the paint with your fingertips (or through a baggie). If it feels rough, perhaps you should clay bar the paint. It's easy.

Wash again to remove any clay residue.

If there's noticible oxidation, use a paint cleaner. Apply with terry applicator. Buff with Microfiber or 100% (Made in USA) cotton towels.

Choose one of the following:
Meg's Medallion Paint Cleaner
S100 Shine-enhancing Cleanser
P21S Gloss enhancing Paint Cleanser
Meg's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

Now you're ready to glaze/polish. Apply with terry applicator. Buff with Microfiber or 100% (Made in USA) cotton towels.
Choose one:
Meg's #7 Showcar Glaze
Meg's #5 New Car Glaze
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Meg's Deep Crystal Polish

Now comes the wax. Apply with foam applicator. Buff with Microfiber or 100% (Made in USA) cotton towels.

Choose one:
S100 Carnauba wax
P21S Carnauba wax
Meg's #26 High-Tech Yellow Wax Liquid
One Grand Blitz wax

Forget Meg's Gold Class (It's a cleaner wax)

Buy some PakShak Microfiber Towels
Killer Deals Here

Enjoy!.
Old 10-30-02, 12:54 PM
bx167

Thumbs up

Daddy-O
thanks for all the info.

So...how many time you need to apply the polish or wax in order to get the nice wet look finish?

how many layers you have on your Black RX?
Old 10-30-02, 01:08 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

What you see in most of my best pics are:

Wash the RX
followed immediately by
One application of S100 Shine-enhancing Cleanser
followed immediately by
One application of Meg's #7 or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
finished with
Two applications of S100 carnauba wax. Space them at least 24 hrs apart.

Simple and Beautimous!

Wax at least 1x/month. Glaze at least 1x/3months.

I generally wax every 2 weeks and glaze when it looks necessary. I use the California Car Duster and a Quick detailer spray to keep it looking good between washes/waxes.
Old 10-30-02, 01:14 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Originally posted by Daddy-O

I generally wax every 2 weeks and glaze when it looks necessary. I use the California Car Duster and a Quick detailer spray to keep it looking good between washes/waxes.
Wow, someone who is as crazy as I am. We were the only ones who showed up at the car wash in Cherokee at 6:30 AM

I have been afraid to use the Quick detailer between washes. Usually only after a wash.

Last edited by KayGee; 10-30-02 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 10:15 PM
bx167

Lightbulb

I'm planning to buy these products

Please provide recommendation, opinion, suggestion.

From properautocare.com

Show car polish kit
Two (2 oz.) Poly Clay Bars.
16 oz. Meguiar's No. 34 Final Inspection (clay lubricant)
16 oz. Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner
16 oz. Meguiar's No. 7 Show Car Glaze
Two Microfiber Applicator Pads
Three Viper Microfiber Detailing Towels.
Plus,
Meguiar’s No. 26 Hi-tech Liquid Yellow Wax

I want to have the glass finish look. Smooth and shine, just like the new vehicle.
I'm going to do it by hand

Will this package fine with 99 Lexus RX?

Of course with Dawn wash at the begining

Last edited by bx167; 10-31-02 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 10:29 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

You'll get great results with these products.

You may need a couple additional applicators. The cleaner and glaze can gunk them up pretty bad. I recommend terry or microfiber applicators for these products.

I use terry applicators, for these products, as they're inexpensive and don't squeak so badly (You'll understand the squeaking when the paint is clean). Get these at any auto store or even Wal Mart.

I use foam applicators for wax. They provide the most even hand application. Easy to wash and re-use. I buy Meguiar's foam pads from Walmart 2/$1.67.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, buy some PakShak Microfiber Towels. You'll want these for buffing and maintaining the finish with the #34 you bought.
Killer Deals Here

Good luck!

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-31-02 at 10:30 PM.