Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fine Swirls in Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 02:40 PM
thespaz18
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine Swirls in Headlight

So long story short, I was involved in an accident in late January and was hit in the front passenger side. My fender, bumper, and headlight were the main areas damaged. After a month of waiting for the body shop to fix everything, I got the car back w/ a new fender, bumper, headlight, and clear bra.

When I stood back and looked at the front of the car, the old headlight stood out like a sore thumb when compared to the new headlight. The old headlight was in good condition, but I wanted to see if I could get it looking as close to the new headlight as possible.

1. My first sttempt was w/ PastX, which didn't really do anything.
2. My second attempt was wet sanding w/ 1500 and 2000 sandpaper and then buffing w/ PlastX. This worked a bit better, but the difference was still apparent.
3. My third attempt was using the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit, w/ a standard drill. This probably did the best job possible, but now I am left w/ very fine swirls in my headlight that annoy the hell out of me. I've come to terms w/ the fact that, aside from buying a new headlight, I am not going to get them to match perfectly. But does anyone have some DIY suggestions on how to remove these swirls???
Old 03-27-12, 03:22 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience, accessing a random orbital buffer like a Porter Cable is probably the best method. I never liked the drill method for reasons you've discovered unfortunately. If you can find it, try increasing the grit to 3000 and try the drill again. Those other scratches could be coming from the previous grits not being sanded out so do it carefully again in opposite directions
Old 03-27-12, 03:51 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Eyezack, what are you using on the PC? 3" backing plate and sand paper, 4" and foam pad with a compound? Wool pad? Inquiring minds...

What's your process? Thanks.
Old 03-27-12, 10:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Eyezack, what are you using on the PC? 3" backing plate and sand paper, 4" and foam pad with a compound? Wool pad? Inquiring minds...

What's your process? Thanks.
For NO pitting on the lens, I start by hand with 2000>2500>3000 grit sandpaper in that order. Each grit has up/down, or side/side variation to ensure I'm removing the previous lines that I see. Then I take a 3in orange Lake Country pad with a 3in backing plate on speed 5 with Menzerna PowerGloss or Meguiars M105. After that combo, I use a white Lake Country pad with Menzerna Power Finish. That usually brings it almost 99% line free to my eyes. If I see any lines with the lights on, I spot finish accordingly.

For pitting on the lens, it takes a lower grit obviously but its the same idea. Start low and work up etc etc

Sealing it is usually a nice healthy coat of OptiCoat 2.0 to prevent future hazing/yellowing for a very long time. Steps can be varied immensely but overall its the same process
Old 03-28-12, 01:15 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks. Appreciate the description. Is there a downside to using sand paper on a 3" PC backing plate as opposed to hand? I'm guessing don't go too coarse of grit?
Old 03-28-12, 02:51 AM
mchngun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
For NO pitting on the lens, I start by hand with 2000>2500>3000 grit sandpaper in that order. Each grit has up/down, or side/side variation to ensure I'm removing the previous lines that I see. Then I take a 3in orange Lake Country pad with a 3in backing plate on speed 5 with Menzerna PowerGloss or Meguiars M105. After that combo, I use a white Lake Country pad with Menzerna Power Finish. That usually brings it almost 99% line free to my eyes. If I see any lines with the lights on, I spot finish accordingly.

For pitting on the lens, it takes a lower grit obviously but its the same idea. Start low and work up etc etc

Sealing it is usually a nice healthy coat of OptiCoat 2.0 to prevent future hazing/yellowing for a very long time. Steps can be varied immensely but overall its the same process
Great info! I've tried it but with much lower grit, can't find any place that does the 2000 to 3000 grits.

How long do you sand for on each paper? (roughly)
Old 03-29-12, 09:43 AM
Badsupra10
Driver

Buff on turbo mode....done
Old 03-29-12, 11:40 AM
IS319
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if iam to late but i just did mine not to long ago. First i wet sanded my headlight with 1000 grit, side to side motion then i hit it with 2000 hit, up and down motion. Then i went ahead and buffer my headlight out with Meguiars Ultimate Compound intill i came clear. Then i used my Mother's Restoration Kit compound at the end and all the fine swirls came out for me.

This only with Meguiars Compond. (left side of the headlight)
Old 03-29-12, 09:56 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Thanks. Appreciate the description. Is there a downside to using sand paper on a 3" PC backing plate as opposed to hand? I'm guessing don't go too coarse of grit?
I prefer using a foam block as that is probably the best thing to use in terms of even pressure distributed on the sandpaper. If you ever cleaned a dirty window with a towel you'll sometimes see your handprint on the towel. Its the same concept. With the PC, you're pretty much putting the cut where the sandpaper touches, which could result in burning or uneven removal of the plastic

A tip though, take a normal sponge, wrap it in sandpaper, and now you have a "foam" sanding block lol
Originally Posted by mchngun
Great info! I've tried it but with much lower grit, can't find any place that does the 2000 to 3000 grits.

How long do you sand for on each paper? (roughly)
I found mine at Autozone. If you can't, then it might be worth going online and buying the correct grits. I typically spend about 10min per side if I'm doing it quick. If I'm going full OCD and spot removal, it may take longer