Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dr. ColorChip and Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 11:26 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dr. ColorChip and Polishing

Hey, I recently purchased an SC300, the paint was in fairly decent condition, but like any 20 year old car needs a fair bit of work.

I just ordered some Dr. Colorchip to take care of a few paint chips, but I have a few questions. I would also like to polish the car to take care of a few swirl marks, light scratches, and to bring out a bit more of the shine. Can I polish a car after applying Dr. Colorchip? Is there an amoutn of time I should wait for the touch up paint to cure? Should I polish before applying Dr. Colorchip?

I'm also considering wetsanding to get rid of a few deeper scratches and to see if I can't fix a bit of the haze in the clear coat on one of the pillars. Can this be done after applying Dr. Colorchip or should I do that before? I've wetsanded painted surfaces before but never one that had touch-up paint on it. I'm assuming I would definitely have to wait for a while after adding the touch-up paint, but m question is, is it safe to wetsand at all after applying the touch-up paint or should I do that before I apply the touch up as well?
Old 03-27-12, 10:41 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I personally haven't had experience with Dr. Colorchip but my usual regimen is to touch up, dry for X amount of days, then wetsand and polish at one time. I usually give a week or more with a touch up pen
Old 03-28-12, 06:12 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man, that seems reasonable, I'll poke around a few other places and see what Dr. Colorchip's website says as well.
Old 03-28-12, 11:08 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eknine9
thanks man, that seems reasonable, I'll poke around a few other places and see what Dr. Colorchip's website says as well.
Let us know how it goes. Im curious about the same thing. I have two cars I just ordered DR. Colorchip touch up for. Im really nervous about trying the colorsanding on the paint, I have done lots of paint correction but never with sanding, always with cutting, polishing etc...

Im going to try on the front buper of one car that I was considering getting repainted anyways, if I mess it up I can always go with plan B
Old 03-28-12, 02:40 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpmMorrow
Let us know how it goes. Im curious about the same thing. I have two cars I just ordered DR. Colorchip touch up for. Im really nervous about trying the colorsanding on the paint, I have done lots of paint correction but never with sanding, always with cutting, polishing etc...

Im going to try on the front buper of one car that I was considering getting repainted anyways, if I mess it up I can always go with plan B
Yeah I'm going to stop by a body shop and see if i can't pick up a scrap panel to test on before I take the wet sand to the paint job. I've never wetsanded a car, just wetsanded when blacking out tail-lights, or painting a few surfaces so if I oversanded I could always just re-spray. This will be my first time not getting to re-spray. I'm definitely nervous too, I'll take a few pics as I use the Touch-up paint and post a DIY. Then do the same when I get around to wetsanding. I think I'm going to err on the side of caution when I take it to my car though. I'll focus on just lightening scratches rather than going deeper and removing them completely. Plus my car is black, so if I f@*k up it'll be really obvious.
Old 03-28-12, 09:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Hey, I recently purchased an SC300, the paint was in fairly decent condition, but like any 20 year old car needs a fair bit of work.

I just ordered some Dr. Colorchip to take care of a few paint chips, but I have a few questions. I would also like to polish the car to take care of a few swirl marks, light scratches, and to bring out a bit more of the shine. Can I polish a car after applying Dr. Colorchip? Is there an amoutn of time I should wait for the touch up paint to cure? Should I polish before applying Dr. Colorchip?

I am also considering wetsanding to get rid of a few deeper scratches and to see if I can't fix a bit of the haze in the clear coat on one of the pillars. Can this be done after applying Dr. Colorchip or should I do that before? I've wetsanded painted surfaces before but never one that had touch-up paint on it. I'm assuming I would definitely have to wait for a while after adding the touch-up paint, but m question is, is it safe to wetsand at all after applying the touch-up paint or should I do that before I apply the touch up as well?
I asked the same thing when I used Dr Colorchip on my car and they said to polish before you add the touch up and that it probably won't be cured enough to polish right after you apply it, you will end up just pulling the paint out of the chip if you polish too soon after. As long as amount of time to wait, it is probably best to wait a couple weeks or maybe a few months. As far as wet sanding, you don't want to do it right after adding Colorchip, most likely several weeks to months after.
Old 03-30-12, 09:06 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

ok, well if that's the case I'll polish today and do the color chip repair on sunday.
Thanks for all of the info guys.
Old 04-02-12, 02:31 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my car polished and the stone chips that I had previously touched up (2 weeks before) mostly came off. So I had say dr Colorchip after