Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My New Toy! PC 7424

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-02, 12:08 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My New Toy! PC 7424

According to USP tracking...It will be delivered tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails My New Toy! PC 7424-untitled-2.jpg  
Old 11-05-02, 12:09 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Don't that purty?
Attached Thumbnails My New Toy! PC 7424-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 11-05-02, 12:11 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I also ordered this kit from CMA.

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-02, 01:10 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact smae buffer Daddy-O, you're going to love it! It does a great job. My only complaint is that the power cord is really really short, so pick yourself up some good industrial stregnth extension cords. The cord on it is a very heavy industrial type with a grounded prong.

Enjoy!
Old 11-05-02, 01:54 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

As I type, it's sitting in my lap.

Short power cord? Not this one. It's 10 feet.
Most of my power hand tools have 6ft. or less.
I have several 15amp drop cords, so no problem.

Gottra go...Muwhahahhaah
Old 11-05-02, 02:14 PM
PakShak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Daddy-O,

When your done with the PC send it my way... Let me know what you think about the PC, I'm planning to buy one and am undecided between the 7424 and the 7336. I have never used one and so far from everyone I heard that had one it is a "must have".

Enjoy...don't burn the paint...

With Aloha,
Ranney
Old 11-05-02, 06:11 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

No way you could burn the paint with this thing, its very simple to use.

As for the cord, they must have legnthened it, mine's a few years old. Mine isnt much longer than 4 feet. I'd still think that 10 would be a little too short. I have a 25 foot extension cord for mine and its nice because I don't have to worry about hauling it all the way around the car from the plug outlet.

Lemme go see what model mine is-

Model 7336.
Old 11-05-02, 06:56 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You're going to clean the paint right off your RX one of these days. That black is making you obsessed!
Old 11-06-02, 12:19 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Nick,

I'm not obsessed...I just can't help it....

That black paint just looks so good when it's clean and shiny. Now I can actually slow down, because, after I use this machine, it can't get any better...or can it?

I just need to polish the paint a little. I've started to notice some very fine micro-scratching in the paint. It's noticeable in bright sunlight or under certain overhead parking lot lighting. Nothing too serious, but I need to correct it.

I don't expect to use this device more than 2-3 times/year to polish the paint. I will probably use it as a final buff when waxing, though. I still like applying the wax by hand.
Old 11-06-02, 01:14 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Daddy-O
I'm not obsessed...I just can't help it....
...says the man with his new polisher as an avatar I only taunt you because I am the same way...well...maybe not that bad
Old 11-06-02, 01:46 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

LOL...

As far as applying the wax by hand, I've found that the polisher does a great job appying it, and the results are really better when you use the polisher to apply. The product goes on very evenly. I know how sad it was to apply Zaino by hand (afraid to use it with the polisher) after being used to only using the polisher.

Be sure to work the cleaner product or whatever you select to remove the fine scratching in real well with the polsher, but don't let it dry, keep wetting it if you have to. Once its been polshed in and dried while under the polishing wheel, it is a PITA to get off the paint. You're also going to want to remove the crossbars from your roofrack, they're a pain when using the polisher on the top. It really does a great job, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. You know you're gonna wear it out

This just in, "NC Experiences rolling blackouts because Daddy-O won't stop using his new spiffy rotary buffer! Governer calls for state of emergency! Film at 11!"

What I really wanna know is, how did the great Daddy-O, the unquestioned king of detailing wisdom get micro scratches in his paint :eek:

Last edited by SW03ES; 11-06-02 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-10-02, 12:37 PM
PakShak
Driver School Candidate

Hi Daddy-O

How was your experience with your new PC 7424? Is it worth getting? Does it actually make a difference besides saving you time? I'm really thinking about getting the PC 7336 for Coastal and one of the Porter Cable pad kits from CMA. Any suggestions or opinions?

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney
Old 11-10-02, 03:51 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

The PC is a killer machine! Easy to use...and with the right pad, polish and microfiber (MF) towels (to buff off residues) it's quick and efficient.

Firstly, my paint is in great shape. With 12,000 miles, the finish has taken little abuse. I think driving in wet weather is the worst, though. All the water on the road is kicked up, along with dirt and oils at 50-80mph. No car's finish, especially black, can avoid some micro-scratching. Over time, any wax/sealant will show the results of this type of damage. I started seeing these micro-scratches recently.

I washed with Dawn and then used P21S Total Auto Wash to strip off any remaining wax. A great citrus based product.

I chose for the first attempt on the Lexus...Meguiar's #9 and a CMA white foam polishing pad. Not too aggressive a choice, but the paint is in great shape. I followed the instructions from the CMA site, but I skipped the compounding step.

Read here...Scroll down to Step 2: http://www.properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html

Overall the RX has a more lustrous reflective appearance. Some of the micro-scratches are still there, but reduced greatly. You have to have direct sunlight and move your head around to really catch them. I thought that this approach was the least aggressive and I was right. I expect that over the coming months that another application, or two, like this will correct the problem completely. I may try a panel with the same grade of pad and 3M Swirl Mark Remover (SMR) for dark cars. That should really speed up the process.

Notes:

I started with the machine at 3 1/2 speed. It wasn't long before I was cranking it wide open. Easy to handle and control.

Don't lift it off the paint until it slows/stops. It'll sling like crazy. I accidentally found that out while working on one of my C pillars.

You do have to spend a few minutes cleaning around the trim and glass. There is some light spatter using this type of device. It's easy to control, but it's unavoidable. A quality MF towel makes it easy to clean up.

Finally, this weekend, a woman walked up to me and, out of the blue, said "You sure have a beautiful car". Now, I have to ask...What is that worth?
Old 11-10-02, 05:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Daddy-O
Finally, this weekend, a woman walked up to me and, out of the blue, said "You sure have a beautiful car". Now, I have to ask...What is that worth?
You better watch out, she might end up with a black RX too

Last edited by LexRX; 11-10-02 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 05:52 PM
Guitarman

Default I've had one for years

You'll enjoy it. Mine has never had a single problem. Cheers

Quick Reply: My New Toy! PC 7424