Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Darn Clay Bar!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-02, 06:17 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy D*mn Clay Bar!!!

Daddy-O,

I need your help. I finally detailed my car and used all the Zaino products as directed. The only problem I used the clay bar incorrectly on the hood and I have a scratches! OUCH!!!! :eek: I would like to know if the Scratch-X is better than the swirl remover for this. The car looks Great and the Scratches is somewhat hard to see since I put 3 coats of the swirl remover.

It also has been a week since I did anything. I wanted to know if I can add more wax to the car without going to do the whole process over again. I did not get to add any coats of the Z-2 due to the wheather.(Got late and cold) This weekend it will be in the 70's here in VA and I would like to know if I can just do a regular wash, then use Z-6, and then add two coats of the Z-2. I already have 3 coats of the swirl remover and it seemed to help the scratches on the hood.

Thanks for any input from anyone!
Old 11-07-02, 09:14 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean the Z5 swirl remover? You can just use the Z6 (spray detailer right?) and then apply coat after coat of the Z2. No need to start all over. I'm not sure whether the Scratch X will keep the Zaino from bonding though.
Old 11-07-02, 10:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VI,

The "swirl remover"? What product are you talking about?
Old 11-08-02, 11:25 AM
VI Rep
Driver

Daddy-O,

I am talking about the Z-5 from Zaino. I am also talking about the caly bar from zaino also. So it is possible to just wash and use the z-6 and put on the last coats of wax. Is the Scratch-X better than the Z-5 for my big problem mentioned before.
Old 11-08-02, 11:27 AM
VI Rep
Driver

SW03ES,

You think that if I apply the Scratch-X it may not bond?!?! I guess that I will stay away from it.
Old 11-08-02, 01:05 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ScratchX has oils and fillers which will likely interfere with the Zaino System. You can clean after the ScratchX with 50% Alcohol/50% water solution...but the alcohol may strip any/all of the Z5 you've applied.

You say "The car looks Great and the Scratches is somewhat hard to see", so Z7 wash, dry, apply one more layer of Z5 on the hood and let dry...While the hood is drying, go ahead with Z2 on the rest of the car.

Unless you're using ZFX, the Zaino web site states, "After removal of Zaino Z-2 or Z-5. You should wait 24 hours if the outside temperature is under 70 degrees and 6 hours if over 70 degrees, before applying the next coat of Z-5 or Z-2".

Zaino Application Instructions from Zaino Bros.
Old 11-08-02, 02:23 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Vl Rep, what did you do wrong with the clay bar that scratched the paint?
Old 11-08-02, 07:37 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Thanks Daddy-O

I think that it will hit 70 tomorrow so I have only one chance to do it and I think what you said will work best! I am glad that you do not charge for this kind of advise or I would be broke!

SCRUFFDOGG,

I think that I did not lube the hood enough with the clay bar becuase it did not happen to the rest of the car when I did it. I also think that I rubbed the clay to hard without looking at what I was doing.
Old 11-10-02, 12:28 PM
PakShak
Driver School Candidate

Hello VI Rep,

Using Meguiar's Scratch X and Zaino's Z5 really are just bandages on top of the scratches. To really fix/remove the scratches, I would recommend if you have one a PC with 3M's SMR to get the scratches out. You can also try it by hand.

One of our customers, had decided to clay his black 2002 Mercedes ML320 but there were two things going against him. First, he used a more aggressive clay and did not have enough Z7 in his mixture of water. So he put quite of bit of scratches on his black ML320. Luckily, he had stop claying after doing the back and hood of the ML320. But the scratches were very noticeable.

So we recommended that he could try the 3M SMR by hand but a PC will definitely be easier. So he went ahead and purchased a PC and bought a bottle of 3M SMR. And that combination seemed to work well with light surface scratches he had gotten directly from claying improperly. And then he went ahead and started the whole Zaino process from Z1, Z2, etc..

With Aloha,
Ranney

Last edited by PakShak; 11-10-02 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 11:31 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Pak Shak. I've never tried the Scratch-X but I have tried the Z5, and IMO it was a waste of money. Within a few rains washes the scratches were back because the product had washed out of them. I use my Porter Cable polisher with a light product like the 3M (I use Meguiars No. 9) to get the scratches out first, THEN I wash the car with Dawn, THEN I apply the polish lok and the Z2. IMO Z5 doesn't work nearly as well as this procedure. This REMOVES the scratches instead of hiding them.

Oh and PS, I've had great results using the Meguiars No 9 on a rag and polishing out scratches much like others here do with the Scratch X, and they NEVER come back
Old 11-11-02, 12:51 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Thanks for the advise! I did wax with the Z-2 this weekend and the car looks great even though The scratches are somewhat visible at certain angles. I will try the procedures that you requested after the winter time here. Thanks again SW03ES, PakShak, and Daddy-O.

P.S. PakShak, The micro-fiber towels that I bought from you are the best. I thought that a chamois was great but A lot of people really do not know how good your product is! I am amazing people here hith your product. Everytime my car is driven around town I tell them what I used and I tell them it is not possible without your towels. Thanks Again.