Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any advice for removal of these bad swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 11:03 PM
morales400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for removal of these bad swirls?

Hey! I've decided to finally take care of the paint on 95 LS400 and needed some advice from your guys. The paint overall has some minor swirls, but trunk cover is in really bad condition and is in need of some correction. I'm planning on using the PC 7424Xp for this job need some recommendations on polishes/compounds you've had experience with which would help me out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Just wanted to add i dont have access to a good camera right now so i had to use phone for these pics. Hopefully they help.
Attached Thumbnails Any advice for removal of these bad swirls?-c4.jpg   Any advice for removal of these bad swirls?-c3.jpg  
Old 06-10-12, 04:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd use Meguiar's Microfiber cutting pads to start with. I would probably use their M300 cutting compound or M105 or Ultimate Compound. Most of the marring should clean up in a couple passes. I'd follow with a finishing combo either using M301 and the finishing microfiber or a soft finishing foam and #205 or similar fine polish. Use extreme caution when cutting as the paint looks to be close to failing. If you remove too much clear coat it will need to be repainted and that can be pretty expensive. Keep in mind that the paint is around 17 years old and likely is nearing the end of it's useful life.

The Microfiber pads and M300 / M301 as well as UC are all usually available in Walmart or most auto supply stores. The #105 and #205 are typically only available from Paint and Body Shop suppliers or via mail-order. Several of our vendors carry these products and offer member discounts. Some may even have a Father's day promo going on now. I believe that Meg's makes all the products available as a kit. Two cutting MF pads, two finishing MF pads, the M300/M301 cutting and finishing compounds and the backing plate. If you purchase these be sure to get the 5" pads and not the 6". I've seen this starter kit for under $80 with the backing plate.

A few of the scratches might not be able to be fully corrected. As a general rule, if you can catch your fingernail in the scratch, it is too deep to buff out.

Be sure to wash and clay the paint first. This should remove some of the oxidation and any particles stuck to the paint. You don't want to pick up and contaminants into your pads and further damage the paint.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-10-12 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 07:49 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I'd use Meguiar's Microfiber cutting pads to start with. I would probably use their M300 cutting compound or M105 or Ultimate Compound. Most of the marring should clean up in a couple passes. I'd follow with a finishing combo either using M301 and the finishing microfiber or a soft finishing foam and #205 or similar fine polish. Use extreme caution when cutting as the paint looks to be close to failing. If you remove too much clear coat it will need to be repainted and that can be pretty expensive. Keep in mind that the paint is around 17 years old and likely is nearing the end of it's useful life.

The Microfiber pads and M300 / M301 as well as UC are all usually available in Walmart or most auto supply stores. The #105 and #205 are typically only available from Paint and Body Shop suppliers or via mail-order. Several of our vendors carry these products and offer member discounts. Some may even have a Father's day promo going on now. I believe that Meg's makes all the products available as a kit. Two cutting MF pads, two finishing MF pads, the M300/M301 cutting and finishing compounds and the backing plate. If you purchase these be sure to get the 5" pads and not the 6". I've seen this starter kit for under $80 with the backing plate.

A few of the scratches might not be able to be fully corrected. As a general rule, if you can catch your fingernail in the scratch, it is too deep to buff out.

Be sure to wash and clay the paint first. This should remove some of the oxidation and any particles stuck to the paint. You don't want to pick up and contaminants into your pads and further damage the paint.
Is that black or blue? If its black, I was under the impression that Lexus Black from 1990-2005 or so didn't have a clearcoat. Would that change how he proceeds?
Old 06-10-12, 09:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Is that black or blue? If its black, I was under the impression that Lexus Black from 1990-2005 or so didn't have a clearcoat. Would that change how he proceeds?
That's what I was thinking too....

Honestly, I've used PO85RD with a rotary and a light polishing or finishing pad.... and on that soft black paint, it almost fully corrects it and finishes it down perfect.

Always try out the least aggressive method first, especially on softer paints like many Lexus.
Old 06-10-12, 09:31 AM
morales400
Driver School Candidate

The paint is a dark blue color. I'm still kind of a beginner at polishing. Is there any major differences when using MF cutting pads compared to lake country pads?
Old 06-10-12, 09:43 AM
djspock303
Driver

Go to www.detailedimage.com or autogeek.net and read the blogs/DIY

I would start out with that microfiber Meguires kit cut/polish/wax plus you can wash not dry those pads.

Start with the light polish and get more aggressive on your test spots as you go. Like they said prob a single stage paint and Lexus paint is very soft.

here is what you can do:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Porter Cable, 6" Lake County Pads Yellow Cut and White Polish. Meguiars 105 cut and Meguiars 205 polish. Then follow up with either NXT Wax or Gold Class.

Last edited by djspock303; 06-10-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 12:16 PM
jfelbab

Whether it is CC or not, the polishing process is the same. You can test the paint by applying a little polish and see if your pad turns the color of your paint. Regardless, the polishing techniques are the same with either CC or SS paint. SS paint is usually softer and cuts faster but Lexus has pretty soft clear.

It is always a good idea to do test spots and start with the least aggressive approach, particularly on older and likely thinner, potentially failing or fragile paint.

MF pads work much faster than foam, especially with the SMAT technology polishes. MF pads need a lot of cleaning to keep them working quickly. I use compressed air and shoot the pad with an air gun after every panel. This removes spent polish, paint and lubricant.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-10-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 01:38 PM
morales400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help u guys! Will be placing an order for the Meguiars MF kit and see how it goes from there. There is also some white paint overspray on one of my doors thats been sitting there for a couple years now. Would the polish be able to make it go away?

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-10-12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 02:33 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by morales400
Thanks for the help u guys! Will be placing an order for the Meguiars MF kit and see how it goes from there. There is also some white paint overspray on one of my doors thats been sitting there for a couple years now. Would the polish be able to make it go away?
Clay should take that overspray off better than polish.
Old 06-15-12, 02:44 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend either the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System Starter Kit and Free Bonus as others have mentioned both are great. Here are some articles about each combo:

M105 and M205
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-cable-7424xp/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ars-m105-m205/

Correction System
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ection-system/

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 07-05-12, 01:47 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Try wolfgang swirl Remover. U can get it on autogeek.net
Old 07-06-12, 03:17 PM
thark01
Driver School Candidate

I would cut it with 3M extra cut/ woolpad, 3M grey polish #2 with foam pad, and 3M ultra fine polish with blue foam pad. All buffed at 1000 rpm's with a buffer.

Last edited by rominl; 07-06-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 11:59 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

wow,,,, whatever you use you have your work cut out for you. i have chemical guys V36 cutting & V38 finishing polishes with MF cutting and polishing pads. i also have V34 for heavy swirls like the ones you have. i don't use the V34 because i don't think i'll ever have heavy swirls,, but just in case it does happen i'll have it on hand. pls post pics of the results, and take your time,, you're going to be in that garage for a while if the rest of your car looks like your trunk. i would love to do the correction myself. to test my skills. GOOD LUCK,,,

Last edited by sydtoosic; 07-09-12 at 12:02 PM.