Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does anyone know which Car Wax is good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 07:56 AM
Rching215
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a company called ARDEX, based out of Philadelphia Pa. The dealership I purchased my car from, were using them and prices were a little more than normal.....but it does a great job. Check out their site- http://www.ardexwax.com/. I'm currently using hi-def 1 due to one step process(polish/wax).
Old 06-23-12, 11:42 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by burny
I've used them all and Collinite insulator wax is superior to them all in shine and longevity. Goes on smooth as ****'s hat band
This Collinite 845 is the truth..
Old 06-23-12, 10:30 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bonafyd
I third this. or fourth this? lasts forever, I can go 4-5 months, not the best shine out there perhaps, but really the best if you want something that lasts as long as possible and everything. I highly recommend collinite. i'm a student and i'm lazy, so I'm not one to use a sealant every ~6 weeks..

collinite is awesome.
Old 06-24-12, 01:26 PM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
BS
Nothing wrong with using wax on black paint. Removal is a non issue. Swirl marks are more likely to be caused by improper washing and drying methods..
There is a truth to your statement about swirl marks, I would add improper storage, care and cleaning of towels.

There are a lot of people who would disagree with you about putting wax on a black car.
The number one rule with automitive acrylic paint is to avoid abrasive contact. Most of us would agree that it is harder to keep black looking good than any other color.
That is because black shows everything. swirls, residue, dull spots any imperfection large or small..

Natural wax will decay and break down within couple of months.
When wax dulls, yellows or becomes so dirty it has to be removed, the process to remove and replace it is abrasive. It will leave marks on the paint.

Why would anyone put something on their paint that they know they were going to have to remove and replace for the rest of that cars life, when their are alternatives to wax that don't require constant stripping and buffing?

Some people refuse to admit the obvious, rubbing a paste or cream on a car and allowing it to dry into a solid before rubbing it off by hand or with a machine take a toll on the paints finish.
Old 06-25-12, 11:26 PM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yamaturkey
I am currently looking for a car wax on my black CT200h.

has anyone ever found anything that's really good and want to recommend it here?

thanks in advance.
Depends what you want.

For shiny mirror like finishes:
Meguiar's NXT wax - this stuff has lot of filers and hides swirls well
Meguiar's Ultimate wax
Zaino
Klasse
Optimum sealant

For the wet look:
High quality carnuaba wax like mother's. Also Meguiar's carnuba waxes aren't bad.

Want to sell you car type wax
Meguiar's Show Car glaze. Stuff doesn't last more than couple days but it sure hides swirls and minor scratches and makes your car really sparkle.

What i have on my black is350 car:
Opt-Coat paint sealant - apply once last forever
Opti-seal - weekly sealant to keep water beading nicely. Can apply it under 10 minutes.
Old 06-26-12, 10:39 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
collinite doesn't have the cleaner. can anyone suggest what to use as cleaner before using collinite.
Old 06-27-12, 11:30 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yeskay
collinite doesn't have the cleaner. can anyone suggest what to use as cleaner before using collinite.

I guess it really depends on product preference and the condition of your paint. I've used P21s GEPC (Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser) and had good success with it. I've also used 845 after cleaning my paint with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound as well.
Old 06-29-12, 12:21 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2013 Rx450h following its inaugural waxing with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. (BTW, who said you "just wipe it off"?) My arms hurt after that effort!

Old 06-29-12, 01:17 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a new finish you want to use a synthetic wax and for an old job you want to use a carnuba wax.

That being said for your black car just go buy the "Black Box" at any local auto parts store in the detailing section.... you cant miss it
Old 06-29-12, 05:54 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
My 2013 Rx450h following its inaugural waxing with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax. (BTW, who said you "just wipe it off"?) My arms hurt after that effort!

The thinner you apply the easier it is to remove.
Old 06-30-12, 03:38 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The thinner you apply the easier it is to remove.

Also, I've found it to be very helpful to have a microfiber towel that has a really heavy nap. Just remember to fold it after wiping a few panels.

Last edited by ntwrkguy1; 06-30-12 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-30-12, 06:48 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by adrr

Want to sell you car type wax
Meguiar's Show Car glaze. Stuff doesn't last more than couple days but it sure hides swirls and minor scratches and makes your car really sparkle.
This made me laugh. They should market it as the "Want To Sell Your Car Wax"
Old 06-30-12, 07:19 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Nu-Finish is the best I use all the time.
Doesn't smell like turtle wax though
Old 07-01-12, 12:14 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Meguair's, Poorboys, Mother's, turtle's, you name it. But Best IMO is T.F.P(Total Finish Protection). It's a sealant, polish, and wax. It will also get rid of surface scratches and hard water spots. I accidentally got into it at a car show several years back and never looked back.
Old 07-01-12, 10:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm a chemical guys fan. they have a new wax called J97,,, 1,000.00 dollars. are they kidding???? i don't think any wax,,, swissvax or whatever should cost that much. i'll stick to Lava,, butter wet wax, blackfire midnight sun,, with the same results IMO.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know which Car Wax is good?