Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does anyone know which Car Wax is good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 01:41 PM
yamaturkey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know which Car Wax is good?

I am currently looking for a car wax on my black CT200h.

has anyone ever found anything that's really good and want to recommend it here?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-12, 03:46 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mothers and meguiars products. armor all products are said to contain harmful products, i havent looked into it myself so i cant provide you with proof
Old 06-11-12, 03:59 PM
Bkwon327
Driver School Candidate

Zymol. Best there is
Old 06-11-12, 05:04 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

I would say what is best is subjective and how much you want to spend.

My opinion would be that Meguiar's is good start. The minimum standard I would use. If you want to get crazy...other high end brands come to mind such as Collinite, Swissvax and sealants such as Wolf's, Menzerna, etc.
Old 06-11-12, 06:34 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Favorite is Poorboys Natty Blue Paste Wax.
Old 06-11-12, 06:54 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My favorite wax is P21S 100% Carnauba paste wax. I have Obsidian as well, and the depth and luster revealed is amazing. It has always worked well for me, and I am continually impressed by its results time after time.
Old 06-11-12, 07:59 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a better question would be...how much do you want to spend and what are you looking for in a wax?
Old 06-11-12, 11:55 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

meguiars tech wax 2.0 has never failed me!

it smells good too.

Old 06-12-12, 02:46 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use meguiars tech wax 2.0 paste over liquid. I recently switched back to mothers. It's all based on preference. I always alternate between these two.
Old 06-12-12, 06:01 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Jetfire
a better question would be...how much do you want to spend and what are you looking for in a wax?
And how much time do you want to spend on it? The time it takes can vary greatly between waxes, depending on their dwell times and the ambient temp/humididity. All things to consider.

While I like Meg's Gold Class and the NXT, I would also highly recommend one that gets very little attention - 3M Perfect It Show wax. It is extremely easy to use, buffs off to a high quality sheen, and lasts quite a while. At about $12 a bottle, it's also not terribly expensive.

Big Mack
Old 06-13-12, 04:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A while back I did a blind wax test with some friends and found that if the car is prepped well you would be hard pressed to tell which wax is used. All the major brands deliver a pretty good shine. The areas of protection and durability show up as the main differences along with the ease of use.

These days I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wax liquid (it's really a sealant, BTW) and follow every wash with Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax, a wipe-on.wipe-off spray sealant. Using this combo leaves the cars looking freshly waxed and a feeling very smooth and slick. This stuff is available everywhere including most Walmarts and Targets. I'm going on 5 month on my RX now and it looks and feels like it has just been detailed. I love the slick feel you get when drawing your fingers over the paint.

Some other advantages of this product pair:
• They don't dry to a white haze so no dusting.
• They can be applied in full sun.
• They look and protect equally well on vinyl trim including textured plastics. I no longer use vinyl dressings.
• They work well on chrome, stainless and glass.
• They work really well on headlight and tail light plastics. They are optically very clear and provide UV protection.

If you haven't used UQW I can suggest it is a great way to extend your initial wax or sealant. It applies like a QD in that you wipe it on and immediately wipe it off and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to do a vehicle.

I've also taken to using UQW around the home on appliances, stainless, mirrors and glass. It leaves them much easier to keep clean. They attract and hold less dust and a simple wipe with a dry MF is all the cleaning I usually need. I like this product so much that I buy it in gallon jugs. It's sold in the Meguiar's Detailer line as D15601, Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax. Many of our sponsoring vendors here at CL sell it and offer a discount and specials. Currently I believe most have a Father's Day Special offer.
Old 06-13-12, 12:42 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've used them all and Collinite insulator wax is superior to them all in shine and longevity. Goes on smooth as ****'s hat band
Old 06-14-12, 03:08 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
A while back I did a blind wax test with some friends and found that if the car is prepped well you would be hard pressed to tell which wax is used. All the major brands deliver a pretty good shine. The areas of protection and durability show up as the main differences along with the ease of use.

These days I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wax liquid (it's really a sealant, BTW) and follow every wash with Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax, a wipe-on.wipe-off spray sealant. Using this combo leaves the cars looking freshly waxed and a feeling very smooth and slick. This stuff is available everywhere including most Walmarts and Targets. I'm going on 5 month on my RX now and it looks and feels like it has just been detailed. I love the slick feel you get when drawing your fingers over the paint.

Some other advantages of this product pair:
• They don't dry to a white haze so no dusting.
• They can be applied in full sun.
• They look and protect equally well on vinyl trim including textured plastics. I no longer use vinyl dressings.
• They work well on chrome, stainless and glass.
• They work really well on headlight and tail light plastics. They are optically very clear and provide UV protection.

If you haven't used UQW I can suggest it is a great way to extend your initial wax or sealant. It applies like a QD in that you wipe it on and immediately wipe it off and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to do a vehicle.

I've also taken to using UQW around the home on appliances, stainless, mirrors and glass. It leaves them much easier to keep clean. They attract and hold less dust and a simple wipe with a dry MF is all the cleaning I usually need. I like this product so much that I buy it in gallon jugs. It's sold in the Meguiar's Detailer line as D15601, Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax. Many of our sponsoring vendors here at CL sell it and offer a discount and specials. Currently I believe most have a Father's Day Special offer.

I also use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax every time i wash the car along with the Quick Detailer - awesome combo - I have been using these products for over 6 years now
Old 06-20-12, 02:31 AM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yamaturkey
I am currently looking for a car wax on my black CT200h.

has anyone ever found anything that's really good and want to recommend it here?

thanks in advance.
The worst thing in the world for a black car is natural wax, all the popular brands have the same problems and they are no friend to black paint.
They dull and have to be removed and replaced, a process that can involve a lot of time, buffing and friction.
This is damaging to the paint and will leave marks in the paint.
The very best thing you can put on your paint that is guaranteed to out perform wax is, Pittman VaporWax 360ID Acrylic Paint Conditioner, It's a spray on liquid that is non abrasive and does not leave swirl marks, debris, or require buffing or removal. You can use it on vinyl, rubber and chrome. There is virtually no waste.
It is impervious to bird droppings and cleans up with clear water.
Nothing mentioned in this post has those qualities or claims to.
If you use it once and you will never consider wax again.
Old 06-20-12, 07:07 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

BS
Nothing wrong with using wax on black paint. Removal is a non issue. Swirl marks are more likely to be caused by improper washing and drying methods.

I use OptiCoat which will probably outlast anything .... my last car had two years and still going strong. However, it does require that your paint be in as flawless of a condition that you can get since you will be sealing in whatever imperfections are present.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a wax/sealant/coating. They all have pros and cons and none of them are right for "everyone". I chose OptiCoat because it lasts for years, looks good, and makes cleaning the car much much easier since nothing sticks to it (bird bombs clean easily, brake dust wipes off with a regular wash, rain barely even gets the car dirty, and I haven't seen any water spots). The cons are the preparation required (not much on my new CT200 SE), initial cost (not that much considering I don't have to do it again for years), and the fact that no traditional wax or sealant that some may think could add something to the looks will stay on this coating.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know which Car Wax is good?